IGNORED

Halo Infinite

Hydro Thunder

Surprised there hasn't been more talk about this around these parts (that I could find).  Finally got to sit down with this one for a few hours (Single player Campaign mode), and just loved it.  I guess my expectations were somewhat lukewarm after 4 and 5, but this one really, really feels like the original 5 Halo games by Bungie.  It's slightly more "shiny" and much more futuristic in a lot of ways, by the same token less tactile and rough feeling in other ways... but is a blast to play.  The Grunts are as hilarious as ever, the graphics are fantastic, and I only once noticed a 1 second stutter.  Getting used to the Grapple hook, it's pretty neat if not a game changer.  

Playing this one for free with Game Pass, might consider getting the full version sometime just to collect.  Big thumbs up from me so far, very happy with it.

• Like 2

I’m a little torn.  Was very bored for the first hour or so, and almost quit, then when you stepped outside and it opened up, I loved it.

But… it felt like the last half or third or so went back to a linear sort of slog with copy n’ paste enemy mobs, and everything looked like the library from the first game.   Didn’t like that bit at all.

And absolutely hated that final boss fight.  I still don’t think I actually “won” that fight as much as she just got bored and stopped moving at one point.

I’ve always been indifferent to Halo, but I’ve played through them all (except 5) and mostly enjoyed them thanks to co-op with friends -- but during the open world parts, this was shaping up to easily be my favorite of them.  Just lost all that goodwill during the final bits, I guess.

I do hope that do a future game with more Open World stuff, which is an odd thing for me to say, since I’m a bit burned out on Open World stuff at the moment.  But I had a blast with those parts in this game.

One potential great part that I think needs tweaked a bit is the “High Value Target” missions.  Those felt like neat, mini boss battles, and were so cool --- until you realized you can just bring a tank, fire 2 shots from a distance, and it’s over.  I think they need to figure out a way to keep those a bit more honest and make the victories feel “earned”  by removing the cheese methods, instead of relying on the player to “just don’t do that.”   

I've only played the multiplayer so far, but I've been enjoying it. There have been a few technical hiccups here and there where matchmaking seems to get caught in a loop that you can't get out of without restarting the game. I'm not sure if it's officially out of beta yet, though. Aside from those instances, it's been a lot of fun and I've enjoyed matches against both humans and bots. It's really nice to have that option. As for the campaign, I'll probably wait until co-op is available to play through it.

On 12/19/2021 at 2:01 AM, Hydro Thunder said:

Playing this one for free with Game Pass

Is it really free if you're paying for gamepass? LOL , just messing with ya..

On 12/19/2021 at 2:01 AM, Hydro Thunder said:

The Grunts are as hilarious as ever, the graphics are fantastic, and I only once noticed a 1 second stutter. 

They sure are funny. In my 20+ hours of campaign play through I've had the game freeze up on me twice. It lasted for 5 seconds or so both times. No big deal.

On 12/19/2021 at 1:38 PM, Razzie.P said:

But… it felt like the last half or third or so went back to a linear sort of slog with copy n’ paste enemy mobs, and everything looked like the library from the first game.   Didn’t like that bit at all.

Totally agree with this. Was glad I upgraded my Spartans core's before getting stuck in these long sections. 

On 12/19/2021 at 1:38 PM, Razzie.P said:

I still don’t think I actually “won” that fight as much as she just got bored and stopped moving at one point.

Yup! Feel the same way. 

I love that the game has different equipment to use, I just hate the way you switch between them. It can get tricky/aggravating in the heat of a boss battle. I think they should have keep the grabbling hook always equipped and the others as d-pad shortcuts.

• 3 months later...

Incredibly dull game.  Feels like a throwback to 10 years back.  What are my pet hates? Well first off, has to be invisible enemies of which there are loads in this game.  Next up is taking away your good weapons and given you generic trash, yep, HI is guilty of that also.  Though unforgivable is, boss monsters.  Trash like this deserves to be in 90s FPS which were short.  

I liked 4, 5 was dreadful but 6? I have been playing it for 5 months.  Any other Halo game and I have beaten it twice in the first week.  This one is just dull. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2022 at 8:17 PM, bloodreptile said:

This one is just dull. 

Just like your avatar picture. Lol just kidding. 

I had a good time exploring the campaign map. and I’m just starting to have fun in multiplayer. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/14/2022 at 10:51 PM, Zeptari1 said:

Just like your avatar picture. Lol just kidding. 

I had a good time exploring the campaign map. and I’m just starting to have fun in multiplayer. 

It turns out that I was playing it all wrong.  It is such a great game. 

I am hoping to have a bit of co op with you when it finally launches. 

6 hours ago, bloodreptile said:

It turns out that I was playing it all wrong.  It is such a great game. 

I am hoping to have a bit of co op with you when it finally launches. 

What did you change about how you were playing it?

18 hours ago, Zoyous said:

What did you change about how you were playing it?

I was playing it as a straightforward FPS.  I was not planning what I was doing.  Nor did I do the side missions. I just wanted to play the main mission. If you play the side missions you get better gear which means the game gets easier. So I explored the world. I did the challenges. I improved my kit and the game began to get to be a lot of fun.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bloodreptile said:

I was playing it as a straightforward FPS.  I was not planning what I was doing.  Nor did I do the side missions. I just wanted to play the main mission. If you play the side missions you get better gear which means the game gets easier. So I explored the world. I did the challenges. I improved my kit and the game began to get to be a lot of fun.

That's good to know! I've still been holding off on playing the campaign until co-op is available. What did you think of the open world aspect? Does it seem wide open or more like you just have two or three pathways at a given time? I know that it has to be somewhat limited by the geography of being on a ring but I'm not sure how vast they made the ring seem.

On 7/22/2022 at 1:47 PM, Zoyous said:

That's good to know! I've still been holding off on playing the campaign until co-op is available. What did you think of the open world aspect? Does it seem wide open or more like you just have two or three pathways at a given time? I know that it has to be somewhat limited by the geography of being on a ring but I'm not sure how vast they made the ring seem.

It is big but it is introduced in sections as you play the main campaign.  If you free the forward operating bases from Covenant control you get better support.  Then killing the special targets gets you more weapons.  They each have something you will need.  Also, collect the power cores and upgrade the special abilities.  The grappling hook is great for stealing enemy vehicles esp. the flying ones. When you have one of those you can fly around the map looking for things.

The map is big.  It is not up to the size of fallout 4 but it is still a big map for an FPS. I did not like the open world aspect at the start but it grew on me as I learned how to play it. Now I prefer it.  The size feels a lot like Halo 1 and it is far bigger than the limited environment of Halo 5. It is wide open. 

Have fun with it. It is a great game. 

• Like 2