IGNORED

Which of the classic Atari systems are capable of scaleing

meltdown71835

Probably only the Jaguar and Lynx, which really aren't "classic" in the sense of the old systems like the 2600, 5200 and 7800. Maybe the 7800 has some scaling capabilities, I don't know, but probably nothing sophisticated. What are you hoping to do?

..Al

Agreed in that scaling was not even implemented in the Sega Genesis, let alone older classic systems 2600 and 5200.

However, for what its worth, the sprites on the 5200 / Atari 8bit can indeed be scaled in a way, from normal size to double to quadruple -- you can see the 'scaling' effect put to use in Star Raiders. This effect is accomplished by a mere register change, nothing else -- hence, I think it is indeed crude scaling.

quote:

Originally posted by Cafeman:

However, for what its worth, the sprites on the 5200 / Atari 8bit can indeed be scaled in a way, from normal size to double to quadruple -- you can see the 'scaling' effect put to use in Star Raiders. This effect is accomplished by a mere register change, nothing else -- hence, I think it is indeed crude scaling.

The 2600 has the same "scaling" capabilites.

quote:

Originally posted by meltdown71835:

There was a topic at
about if its possible to do a fps on a Atari 2600 but scaling may be a problem.

Ah... you mean like this?

I think the 2600's "scaling" capabilities are first demonstrated in "Star Ship" with the space objects (quasi-Enterprises and weird space pigs or whatever they're supposed to be) getting closer to your ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh...the 2600 Doom fiasco. Maybe someday...

I never considered player/missile width to be "scaling" in the true sense of the word...simly because the height is not stretched (on the 8-bit) or it has no height at all (on the 2600).

BTW It's true the Sega Genesis has no scaling/rotation, but this function was added in the Sega CD addon.

quote:

Originally posted by Nukey Shay:

I never considered player/missile width to be "scaling" in the true sense of the word...simly because the height is not stretched (on the 8-bit) or it has no height at all (on the 2600).

On the 2600 the height has to (or: can) be controled by software, which means, it is capable.