IGNORED

Replacement N64 contollers

edweird13

9 hours ago, Reaperman said:

My adult left hand still isn't big enough for those Super Pads, so it's a total shelf-queen. 

It turns out my hands are also functionally incompatible with those Hori controllers that everybody raised to 'holy grail' status.  Once those were re-released by retro-bit, I was pretty glad I never went for a real one. (the slightly redesigned retro-bit wireless tribute I posted above fixed most of my ergonomics problems with the hori)

One rather genre-specific controller I will bring up loving is the Ultra Racer 64. N64's 3d platformers (which I didn't care for) were what introduced me to modern racing games, which instantly became my 'main' gaming genre from then to present. But there's a catch with the Ultra Racer. Many popular N64 racers actually need up and down on the analog stick. Players are somewhat handicapping themselves in, say, f-zero X or rush 2049 without up/down, but for the ones that just use analog l/r, it's a real wonder. They're cheap as dirt, and take up way less room than a real wheel, so anybody with an interest in racing games should pick one up.

EtAiYIym.jpg

Oh wow I've never heard of this and I'm a huge racing game fan, favorite genre, and love all the N64 racers.    Playing horizon chase turbo right now. I turn this game on every couple of months and there's always new tracks and stuff added. Highly recommend.  Reminds me a little of the absurdly non functional and fugly 5200 controllers (sorry I realize this atariage and all, but Atari always made the most busted controllers)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Reaperman said:

My adult left hand still isn't big enough for those Super Pads, so it's a total shelf-queen. 

It turns out my hands are also functionally incompatible with those Hori controllers that everybody raised to 'holy grail' status.  Once those were re-released by retro-bit, I was pretty glad I never went for a real one. (the slightly redesigned retro-bit wireless tribute I posted above fixed most of my ergonomics problems with the hori)

One rather genre-specific controller I will bring up loving is the Ultra Racer 64. N64's 3d platformers (which I didn't care for) were what introduced me to modern racing games, which instantly became my 'main' gaming genre from then to present. But there's a catch with the Ultra Racer. Many popular N64 racers actually need up and down on the analog stick. Players are somewhat handicapping themselves in, say, f-zero X or rush 2049 without up/down, but for the ones that just use analog l/r, it's a real wonder. They're cheap as dirt, and take up way less room than a real wheel, so anybody with an interest in racing games should pick one up.

EtAiYIym.jpg

I have one of these but never gave it a proper go

14 hours ago, Reaperman said:

the Ultra Racer 64. 

EtAiYIym.jpg

Have one of these as well and yeah never seemed very well reviewed, one of the few things I also have the box for so I can only assume there ended up being a surplus of these because I am sure I didn't seek it out with any effort and yet I ended up with one. I TOTALLY plan to try mine out though and defintiely want to try it with a bunch of games that it is not at all suited for because I'm weird like that. ??

On 2/26/2022 at 6:23 PM, Tanooki said:

I've seen one of those with the stick top torn off, of all places half price still trying to get value out of it like that which I found ballsy because no sane person wants a metal poker into their thumb to use it.

You can't get replacement rubber or thumsticks somewhere?  And I also got an ultra racer from GameStop for like 3 bucks.

Edit:  I guess you can.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175088869665?hash=item28c41c2121:g:9l4AAOSwrJ5hzqKC

Edited by 0078265317

1 hour ago, 0078265317 said:

You can't get replacement rubber or thumsticks somewhere?  And I also got an ultra racer from GameStop for like 3 bucks.

Edit:  I guess you can.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175088869665?hash=item28c41c2121:g:9l4AAOSwrJ5hzqKC

That's for an official N64 stick, I'm talking about that third party pad where the dpad and stick are set to the far left side.  It has a unique stick and I've seen it before where the entire hat is snapped off.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

That's for an official N64 stick, I'm talking about that third party pad where the dpad and stick are set to the far left side.  It has a unique stick and I've seen it before where the entire hat is snapped off.

You can't pry off the hat from a working stick and replace it?  Or unscrew the stick and remove the hat.  Probably too complicated.

13 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

You can't pry off the hat from a working stick and replace it?  Or unscrew the stick and remove the hat.  Probably too complicated.

Never really tried but looking at it I think it's one solid piece of plastic with a small metal dowel up the center to strengthen it some more.  That's how the third party one was at least, but where the dowel stops it where the hat tends to snap off on that model of third party controller from what I've seen.

• Like 1