IGNORED

Parrot Hardware: Any information?

manterola

19 minutes ago, vitoco said:

In fact, it's an LM324N IC.

If it matters, I could open it again and map all the components and connections.

That would be appreciated. The more I think about such a project, the more I think I'd like something a bit more advanced and modern. A digitizer that can do 16-bit and take advantage of combining 2 pokey channels into 1 16-bit. Then I remembered that I have Pokeymax chips in my Atari's with COVOX DAC, so I think I need to devise the best input device to take advantage of the COVOX I already have which I think does in fact combine Pokey channels. Actually I don't know if the COVOX works independently of the on-board Pokey's on the Pokeymax or in conjunction and I don't know if it's 8 or 16-bit off the top of my head, I'll have to look into all of that now too. So maybe I need to look up some COVOX threads here on AA, if there are any yet, about audio input to the Pokemax's COVOX.

Edited by Gunstar

I do want to still make something to use with the Parrot software though, just for nostalgia and because I too always wanted it and Computer Eyes back in the day, and Covox Voice Master (S.A.M.if I'd known of it's existence). There was so much 3rd party commercial hardware I wanted to get back then. If I'd known about doing electronics back then like I do today, I'd have payed more attention to all the DIY hardware articles in Analog and Antic, as I am now going back and reading and sometimes doing.

Yep, same here. Except I did not have access to almost any info or magazines. Anyway, I would like to implement something like vitoco did, with a descent op-amp, and using the Parrot software and ASP.COM to do the sampling. 

I put together the Parrot circuit and the quality is so bad (no matter the software), that I believe it can be improved with not that much effort, or simply I made a mistake, or my pn2222a is having issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, manterola said:

Yep, same here. Except I did not have access to almost any info or magazines. Anyway, I would like to implement something like vitoco did, with a descent op-amp, and using the Parrot software and ASP.COM to do the sampling. 

I put together the Parrot circuit and the quality is so bad (no matter the software), that I believe it can be improved with not that much effort, or simply I made a mistake, or my pn2222a is having issues.

Yes, like you, I think a better input device can be made that will achieve better output with the Parrot software. Or, purchased, like the one you linked above. But I think I might build vitoco's board since I have the amp IC on hand and the rest of it, I just need the numbers for all the components, and the basic circuit would be great, but I'm sure I could dope one out for myself too from pictures and basic circuit logic. Or I would have, but now of course I can copy the circuit it the PDF you linked.

Edited by Gunstar

4 hours ago, Gunstar said:

That would be appreciated.

It took me more than I thought... 4 hours!!! And that was only for handwriting... ?

It was hard to follow every trace. There was some kind of varnish as insulation on both sides, so the multimeter didn't help too much. I really hope it is OK... please check before frying an 800XL!

atari-sampling-device.thumb.jpg.0bf80aa9054feb03a69bc74a3b889e90.jpg

Components are:

• 1x LM324N quad operational amplifier
  • 1x 10K Ohms linear potentiometer (type B)
  • 3x 0.1uF capacitors
  • 2x 1K Ohms resistors
  • 3x 100K Omhs resistors
  • 2x 270 Ohms resistors

I found that 3 pins were used in the controller port:

• 7 - +5V
  • 8 - GND
  • 9 - POT A

Notes:

• Pins 3, 5 and 10 of the IC are all connected between them, and that goes directly to the input jack.
  • Both 270 Ohms resistors are connected serially. I guess that they can be replaced by 1x 540 Ohms or similar.
  • The polarity of the capacitors should be OK.
  • I hope there are no more hidden connections.

I haven't search for my software yet. My diskettes are stored in a box at the building's basement, and I don't remember if I already backed up them to ATRs. I'll start with this...

I hope this helps... Let me know if something is missing.

++Vitoco

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Mathy said:

I found a schematic somebody once recreated of the VoiceMaster Junior.  Would it be legal to upload it somewhere?  (Please, no discussion about whether somebody is gonna care about copyrights etc.!!!)

Is it similar to what I've just posted?

Disclaimer: the previous design is not mine. I don't know if it was created by my friend (or a friend of my friend) or taken from somewhere else about 35 years ago.

++V

• 2 years later...

Anybody have one for sale? I had one many mines ago. Sold it. I then went to ST and got the ST version. Still have it to this day. Just want the 8-bit version to relive and add voice to basic programs like I did back in the day. Thanks!