IGNORED

games with Christian symbols

xxl

I've never played the Ultima series but I figured there had to be something in there.  Here's a screenshot from the Apple version of Ultima II.  I'm guessing the Atari version has the same screen.  I also saw a screen shot from Ultima I for "The grave of the lost soul", but I couldn't find a screen shot from an 8 bit version.  There are probably more.

image.png.8df4545cd0042ed57bf48e6d1ca23720.png

Edited by bfollett
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Since doves can be a Christian symbol, it means that Summer Games is a religious game

Instead of looking for symbolism, better to know history or at least have a basic general knowledge ;-)
The symbol of world peace at the Mexico City Games was the stylized white dove "Paloma." A reference to this symbol was the release of 10,000 white doves during the opening ceremony of the Games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snicklin said:

Would you count the cross shaped windows in 'Little Devil'?

no, this is part of a fortification (balistraria) the cross shape was one of many.

But you are right about the Devil - the figure actually has a connection to Christianity :D

15 hours ago, bfollett said:

I've never played the Ultima series but I figured there had to be something in there.  Here's a screenshot from the Apple version of Ultima II.  I'm guessing the Atari version has the same screen.  I also saw a screen shot from Ultima I for "The grave of the lost soul", but I couldn't find a screen shot from an 8 bit version.  There are probably more.

image.png.8df4545cd0042ed57bf48e6d1ca23720.png

The Ultima series have a "Cleric" avatar holding a cross so they all apply

15 hours ago, Tillek said:

no "buts"... you need to stop what you're doing and start playing it immediately.

I should have stated I never played the early versions of Ultima on my Atari.  The first version I played was Ultima VI on a PC.  Lol, I was just a little late to the game.

On 1/5/2022 at 2:49 PM, xxl said:

Of course, Santa Claus or a Christmas tree qualify as these symbols.

image.jpeg.42ca33f6748cff0c8c6619166d63e563.jpeg

Wat. Santa has nothing to do with Christianity. Neither does a Christmas tree, for that matter, being originally a pagan symbol for the winter solstice celebrations. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_symbolism 

Edited by danwinslow

1 hour ago, danwinslow said:

Wat. Santa has nothing to do with Christianity. Neither does a Christmas tree

Both of these symbols show in a simple way how efficient a machine Christianization was (and perhaps still is).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_tree

Perhaps for the same reason, games that have such music should be included:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_carol

:D

30 minutes ago, xxl said:

Both of these symbols show in a simple way how efficient a machine Christianization was (and perhaps still is).

That's true. They "borrowed" a lot of stories, too. The question is, when does something become a Christian symbol? For many people a swastika is still a Hindu religious symbol, but for a lot of people it's a symbol of Nazism.

Question: why are you looking for games with Christian symbols? Is there any point to it, or just for fun?

• Like 2

Todays' Santa is based on Saint Nicholas(a historical figure and real person) as well Sinterklaas and to some degree Father Christmas, bits and pieces of other kindly or good things thrown in. The latter two have roots as well and can be traced. I am surprised how little folks know about history regardless of the religious connections or context. The traditions come from religious roots of real people in this case. The individuals were noted and are part of history, it shouldn't bother anyone as this is who they were, what they did, and what they believed. If you are secular or religious it shouldn't matter either way. This a search for these symbols, if all you see is a tree and don't know the history, traditions or people involved, or the different applications be it secular, pagan... then what gives... the topic is clear the discussion is nice. You see the sign on the building and at the door, why wander in and then out and make debate, folly, or mention that it's not this symbol or that because it's another symbol... it is a christian symbol in a game, if it is used as a symbol for something else, cool beans. It can be both, so far the context of most have been clear enough and I'm finding some fun in this endeavor.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I am surprised how little folks know about history regardless of the religious connections or context.

Oh, we know that Sinterklaas is Saint Nicholas. He's also the patron saint of Amsterdam. We have streets and churches named after him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_Saint_Nicholas,_Amsterdam

He was of Greek descent and worked in Myra, which is now Turkey (similar to Troy, which is also Turkey now).

But we still tell the kids he's from Spain and comes to the Netherlands in a steamboat with his black slaves helpers. Sooth-pete's are getting more prevalent though in the last couple of years.

Edited by ivop

58 minutes ago, ivop said:

Oh, we know that Sinterklaas is Saint Nicholas. He's also the patron saint of Amsterdam. We have streets and churches named after him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_Saint_Nicholas,_Amsterdam

He was of Greek descent and worked in Myra, which is now Turkey (similar to Troy, which is also Turkey now).

But we still tell the kids he's from Spain and comes to the Netherlands in a steamboat with his black slaves helpers. Sooth-pete's are getting more prevalent though in the last couple of years.

I thought that was the addition made by a school teacher and wasn't cannon, and the Pete was a helper... so the strike though was interesting. I do realize that was 150 years back.

What I find interesting is the part about the legend referring to the times (historical) that the Moors abducted the people and raided the coasts all the way to Iceland for the Barbary slave trade seems to be glossed over. So you might have the situation reversed in some ways. I didn't quite get where this was in our symbolism as I hadn't seen Pete in any games but it did jog my memory of ecclesiastical history... I may need to see what strange things are being promulgated through the culture of the past 55 years give or take... Looks like some modifications going on.

Edited by _The Doctor__
fixed dropped letters and spelling and re entered a dropped sentence

28 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I thought that was the addition made by a school teacher and wasn't cannon,

After that (160+ years ago) it became cannon.

and the Pete was a helper... so the strike though was interesting.

Let's say that both have evolved from being a black guy that put you in a sack and took you back to Spain, and a bogeyman that taught you a lesson!

Sint_Nikolaas-vertellingen_voor_de_jeugd

...into a somewhat senile man that has a whole bunch of smart Soot-Petes that help him do what he has to do around the 5th of December ;)

Note that the Catholic church wasn't happy with this depiction of one of their saints either. The miter of Sinterklaas was even changed to a stripe instead of a cross somewhere in the seventies or eighties.

What I find interesting is the part about the legend referring to the times (hsitorical) that the Moors abducted the people and raided the coasts all the way to Iceland for the Barbary slave trade seems to be glossed over. So you might have the situation reversed in some ways.

The Moors were actual people. The black Pete character is fictional. But I agree, a lot about slavery throughout the centuries millennia is still not known by a lot of people. It was not just "us".

I didn't quite get where this was in our symbolism as I hadn't seen Pete in any games but it did jog my memory of ecclesiastical history... I may need to see what strange things are being promulgated through the culture of the past 55 years give or take... Looks like some modifications going on.

Traditions always evolve ;)  

Edited by ivop
millennia

As I've written before, perhaps Christianization is still progressing ;-)
Although I think it has slowed down a lot lately.

For example, as a child I often took part in "drowning Marzanna"... even at the end of the 20th century I took part in two church masses which ended with "drowning Marzanna". But it was impossible to "replace" this pagan custom.

but today... you can't just walk through town with a woman impaled on a stake, then set her on fire and throw her from a bridge into a river. 

53203dc84e782_o_large.jpg

But spring is also associated with another custom with a very distinct Christian symbol - "the Easter Palm". Was this symbol ("Easter Palm") visible somewhere in Atari game? Actually, it is a good topic for a game - building an "Easter Palm" - so maybe a game like "baking a cake from ingredients" with additional physics elements ;-)

Giotto_-_Scrovegni_-_-26-_-_Entry_into_J

00081E7C10XNILGJ-C324-F4.jpg

1554197182.jpg

palma.png

91-600x342.jpg

Edited by xxl