IGNORED

What have you ACTUALLY played tracker - Modern Edition (2022)

carlsson

Week 15

Top games

1. Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Xbox Series X) - 2202 min. (#4)
2. Minecraft (PS4) - 1100 min.
3. Kangokutou Mary Skelter 2 (Mary Skelter: Nightmares) (PS4) - 1005 min.
4. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands (Xbox Series X) - 600 min.
5. God of War: Ghost of Sparta (PS3) - 486 min.
6. Octopath Traveller (Switch) - 480 min.
7. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 449 min. (#6)
8. MLB The Show 22 (Xbox Series X) - 438 min. (#2)
9. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4) - 372 min. (#5)
10. Pinball Arcade, The (PC) - 310 min.

Top systems

1. Xbox Series X - 3480 min. (#2)
2. PS4 - 2810 min. (#4)
3. Switch - 1453 min. (#1)
4. iOS - 629 min. (#6)
5. PC - 582 min. (#3)
6. PS3 - 486 min.
7. Xbox One - 449 min. (#5)
8. GBA - 180 min. (#7)
9. Xbox 360 - 160 min.
10. TinyCircuits Thumby - 100 min.

Total 10559 minutes and 50 different games on 14 different systems, with 10 participants.

With the help from two major contributors this week, Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga on the Xbox Series X becomes the most played game with more minutes than the runners-up Minecraft and Kangokutou Mary Skelter 2 together, both on the PS4. Thus it is no surprise these two systems also dominate the second list, which as noted introduces yet one more system, the Thumby which even is programmable - 72x40 pixels and 2 MB RAM. Back in the 1970's they would have thought we were insane if 45++ years later we still were building things like this.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Not much Kyuukyoku Tiger this time, but Twin Cobra showed up again at least. Hishouzame and Same! Same! Same! will finally get to show up here instead of in the old games tracker next week, as the next Toaplan collection releases on the 28th.

PC
Eschatos - 31
Flowers -Le volume sur été- - 33

PS4
Kangokutou Mary Skelter 2 - 581
Kyuukyoku Tiger - 107
Twin Cobra - 19

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that Twin Cobra and the 2P version of Kyuukyoku Tiger are actually identical aside from the title. It seems that in 2 weeks I will have the opportunity to ask one of the guys who actually made Kyuukyoku Tiger 35 years ago, so I will find out soon.

Switch
Get Star - 3
Guardian - 4

Get Star's ridiculously more difficult overseas version is finally here. Definitely some big changes here for the international version. Even the DIP switch options are different, and it only lets you get a single score extend. Yeah, play the Japanese version, as I'm pretty sure that's the version that the devs originally intended.
Kyuukyoku Tiger - 13
Twin Cobra - 14

• Like 5

PC 

11-11 Memories Retold 175 

Dicey Dungeons 175 

Pinball Arcade, The 189 

PS3 
God of War: Ghost of Sparta 375

I was able to beat the final game mode on the World Cup Soccer table in Pinball Arcade. (Games-beaten-in-2022).  I'd been trying to do that for years, so it felt like a big accomplishment to defeat Germany in the World Cup Final.  I also played my way through God of War:  Ghost of Sparta.  (Modern-games-beaten-in-2022).

86057209_PinballBeatGermany.thumb.jpg.0485f6936f19d4f5c89bc6bb643c4d5b.jpgGhostofSparta2.thumb.jpg.7be150ca495adee13986d90d8c8833a9.jpg

• Like 6

Apple iOS:

Duolingo - 91 minutes

Pikmin Bloom - 146 minutes

Another Community Day meant a lot more time with the app active.

Nintendo Game Boy Advance:

I found some games cheap that I remembered looking half-decent. One was, the other two were really not.

Atomic Betty - 20 minutes.

A relic of Namco's brief bid to become a big name publisher of games published by other developers (see also Smashing Drive). I loved a lot of games they put out on the GBA around this time and figured for $5 I'd give this a chance. Well, it turns out that it was a cartoon show, and the game is 100% a children's game. Despite a few moderately engaging sketch-paper type mini games, it is deadly dull. I turned it off before I had lost any lives.

Muppet Pinball Mayhem - 20 minutes.

A really excellent pinball game from Digital Eclipse with very interesting and unique tables. Highly recommended.

Pinball Tycoon - 25 minutes.

Spent time on two tables I hadn't played enough before. It's janky but undeniably pretty fun. Unfortunately it crashed and started trying to summon elder gods.

Scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase - 20 minutes.

Looks great, plays pretty bad.

Smashing Drive - 25 minutes.

An amazing accomplishment on the GBA. A lot of people seem to hate it. I can't say they're wrong, but it's fun to me.

Basic Fun Arcade Classics:

Joust - 20 minutes.

It looks and feels like a rom hack of the NES version, but would Nintendo really have let somebody have the rom to hack? I dunno...

Super Impulse Tiny Arcade:

Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - 25 minutes. It's... surprisingly fun...

TinyCircuits Thumby:

Royalty Free Space Debris - 15 minutes. Beat the game, which turns out to be more of a time trial than a score chase. I can't say I'm getting much better at the controls.

• Like 5

lower playtime than some weeks, but here's my Modern Gaming time:

Switch:
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 240 minutes
Octopath Traveler - 360 minutes

XBox Series X:
Forza Horizon 5 - 240 minutes
Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga - 960 minutes
Tiny Tina's Wonderlands - 660 minutes

• Like 5

This week I played:

Sonic World (R1) for PC - 9 minutes

Sonic World (R7) for PC - 250 minutes

progress:

This is a PC fan game that plays like Sonic Heroes but has a lot of customizing/modding options and tons of characters and stages that you can add to the game in addition to the already large selection. I was going to try every version of Sonic World from the beginning but Release 1 only had keyboard controls that I couldn't use well so I gave up and just played Release 7 which does have controller support and supposedly the best possible graphics effects out of all the legacy editions before the DX versions, namely with water visuals.

In R7 I completed at least one goal in almost every area only playing as Sonic. I am at 31 emblems still trying to unlock all the characters.

Edited by TheGameCollector
  • Like 7

Week 16

Top games

1. Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Xbox Series X) - 1295 min. (#1)
2. DOOM (2016 reboot) (Switch) - 925 min.
3. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands (Xbox Series X) - 660 min. (#4)
4. Kangokutou Mary Skelter 2 (Mary Skelter: Nightmares) (PS4) - 581 min. (#3)
5. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 542 min. (#7)
6. God of War: Ghost of Sparta (PS3) - 375 min. (#5)
7. Octopath Traveller (Switch) - 360 min. (#6)
8. Bingo Bash (iOS) - 307 min.
9. MLB The Show 22 (Xbox Series X) - 297 min. (#8)
10. Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA) - 280 min.

Top systems

1. Xbox Series X - 2492 min. (#1)
2. Switch - 1559 min. (#3)
3. PC - 862 min. (#5)
4. PS4 - 707 min. (#2)
5. Xbox One - 610 min. (#7)
6. iOS - 560 min. (#4)
7. GBA - 390 min. (#8)
8. PS3 - 375 min. (#6)
9. Super Impulse Tiny/Micro Arcade - 25 min.
10. Basic Fun Arcade Classics - 20 min.

Total 7615 minutes and 37 different games on 11 different systems, with 8 participants.

Almost as expected, Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga on the Series X retains its first place, just 6 hours ahead of DOOM 2016 on the Switch. On the same grounds, the Xbox Series X still is the most played this week.

Quite obviously, Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga also enters the 50 Hours Club with a total of 4147 min = 69 hours.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

New M2 Toaplan release. Got a nice, easy Hishouzame clear on PS4 with comparatively little effort. Nearly flawless game with excellent game design and absolutely not to be missed. Strangely, playing it seems very relaxing, which I didn't expect. Didn't really mess with the Switch versions that much.

PS4

――Chigau!!!+ - 1

Yeah, I just looked around in the options menu. It had the misfortune of arriving in the same box as the new Toaplan collection. I've been looking forward to this for a while since I've heard it's a really funny game, so I'll get to it eventually.
Fire Shark - 8
Hishouzame - 466

Easy clear. It's really good. Play it.
Kangokutou Mary Skelter 2 - 692
Kyuukyoku Tiger - 75
Same! Same! Same! - 107

This game is ridiculous. Why did they think this insanity was a good idea? I don't know. Maybe if I read the book that came with the game I'll find out. Definitely start with the Sega home version or the 2P arcade version or even the arcade Fire Shark instead.
Same! Same! Same! (2P version) - 279
Sennou Game Teki-Paki - 12
Super Stardust Ultra - 43
Wardner no Mori - 40

Switch
Fire Shark - 24
Hishouzame - 26

Audio is broken on Switch, which is extremely unfortunate, as the game's got a really great soundtrack.
Same! Same! Same! - 196
Same! Same! Same! (2P version) - 17
Sennou Game Teki-Paki - 10
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 21
Tiger-Heli - 22
Wardner no Mori - 9

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 5

Here are my times for this past week (April 25th through May 1st) on modern systems (I didn't play any classic games this week)...

Browser-based:

Freak Taxi Simulator - 3 min.

Taxi Simulator - 11 min.

This week I only played two short sessions of browser games... first I found Taxi Simulator (don't know on what website, sorry), but I wanted to go back to that site to play it again the next day, I stumbled upon a different site with a game called "Freak Taxi Simulator". While both are taxi simulators, there are quite a few differences... Taxi Simulator is practically open-world, meaning after you've delivered a passenger, the game continues and you have to fight the next one, while in Freak Taxi Simulator, you have a time limit in which to deliver a passenger to his destination, otherwise the level is failed. If you succeed, the round ends and you start the next round on a pre-determinded spot on the next map. If you fail, the round ends as well and get to try the same fare again.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

New M2 Toaplan release. Got a nice, easy Hishouzame clear on PS4 with comparatively little effort. Nearly flawless game with excellent game design and absolutely not to be missed. Strangely, playing it seems very relaxing, which I didn't expect. Didn't really mess with the Switch versions that much.

Wait, aren’t these emulated? Or is there something enhanced about them?

4 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Wait, aren’t these emulated? Or is there something enhanced about them?

With the ShotTriggers releases they do some recoding to get them running on the PS4 and Switch with performance that is better than the original arcade PCBs from what I have heard. Reduced input lag (I read somewhere that they are down to like 2 frames or something insanely fast like that. Garegga on PCB has 5 frames of lag, so they cut it by more than half if true), bugfixes (Garegga got some), new arranged modes with completely different gameplay and rules, custom modes with options that are far beyond anything the PCB DIP switches will get you... yes, the ShotTriggers releases are closer to being completely new versions of the games than regular emulation. That's probably why they cost about $80 each.

Not quite ports, but also not quite emulation, so I typically put them here. I usually put the console versions on the collections over on the other side as emulated, though, and I'm really not sure what to do with GG Aleste 3, but I typically put it as Game Gear just because it's cool to have a new official and officially licensed Game Gear game (and it's both one of the best and most technically impressive games on the system), but also because it runs on the Game Gear Micro through emulation as well.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 2

This week I played:

Sonic World (R7) for PC - 31 minutes

Sonic World (R8) for PC - 479 minutes

Sonic World (R9 rev 2) for PC - 453 minutes

Progress:

First with help in the discord, I figured out how to fix the graphical error this game as a whole has with newer video cards, causing white boxes to flicker all over the screen. dgVoodoo2_78_2 is a great program for emulating older video cards and fixed the issue.

In R7 I stocked up on lives, tried the really hard level (Worst Cave) and failed, then went back to a different level and got my 32nd emblem as Sonic and just decided to stop there and back up my save.

In R8 I started a new file and played through every level only as Sonic, completing at least one goal except for a couple levels that are just too hard. (Worst Cave again and Kingdom Waterfalls) I managed to unlock all characters and get 101 emblems total. I backed up my save.

In R9 rev 2 I started a new file and played only as Sonic. I'm still not done trying every level but I unlocked all characters and currently have 102 emblems, surpassing my progress from R8.

I guess the first version of R9 was supposedly really buggy so they quickly released the patched version of R9 shortly afterward.

It has been interesting playing the last 3 official versions of this fan game to see how it was built up over time. Many new stages were added with each release. A couple new characters here and there were added as unlockables. Some bugs in levels were fixed but not everything was ever 100% fixed in the end. Still there are ways to get past some of the glitchy areas if you try hard enough and most levels are pretty smooth.

I would recommend R9 rev 2 the most out of the legacy versions of Sonic World. Sonic World DX is supposed to end up being a lot better so I'm looking forward to the news about the upcoming release date.

Edited by TheGameCollector
  • Like 6

My time was a little more broken up between titles this week for Modern Gaming.  I added Chrono Cross and another Mahjong game to my rotation.

Switch:
Chrono Cross: Radical Dreamers Edition - 770 minutes
Mahjong Solitaire Refresh - 120 minutes
Octopath Traveler - 360 minutes
Sonic Mania - 60 minutes
Tetris Effect: Connected - 120 minutes
World of Solitaire - 300 minutes

XBox Series X:
Forza Horizon 5 - 120 minutes
Lego Star Wars: Skywalker Saga - 120 minutes
Tiny Tina's Wonderlands - 360 minutes

Edited by digdugnate
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, TheGameCollector said:

This week I played:

Sonic World (R7) for PC - 31 minutes

Sonic World (R8) for PC - 479 minutes

Sonic World (R9 rev 2) for PC - 453 minutes

Progress:

First with help in the discord, I figured out how to fix the graphical error this game as a whole has with newer video cards, causing white boxes to flicker all over the screen. dgVoodoo2_78_2 is a great program for emulating older video cards and fixed the issue.

In R7 I stocked up on lives, tried the really hard level (Worst Cave) and failed, then went back to a different level and got my 32nd emblem as Sonic and just decided to stop there and back up my save.

In R8 I started a new file and played through every level only as Sonic, completing at least one goal except for a couple levels that are just too hard. (Worst Cave again and Kingdom Waterfalls) I managed to unlock all characters and get 101 emblems total. I backed up my save.

In R9 rev 2 I started a new file and played only as Sonic. I'm still not done trying every level but I unlocked all characters and currently have 102 emblems, surpassing my progress from R8.

I guess the first version of R9 was supposedly really buggy so they quickly released the patched version of R9 shortly afterward.

It has been interesting playing the last 3 official versions of this fan game to see how it was built up over time. Many new stages were added with each release. A couple new characters here and there were added as unlockables. Some bugs in levels were fixed but not everything was ever 100% fixed in the end. Still there are ways to get past some of the glitchy areas if you try hard enough and most levels are pretty smooth.

I would recommend R9 rev 2 the most out of the legacy versions of Sonic World. Sonic World DX is supposed to end up being a lot better so I'm looking forward to the news about the upcoming release date.

Sounds like a fun game to experiment with.  Where did you learn about this and what Discord server gave you your answers?

• Like 3

Modern games played this week...

GameBoy Advance

Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance - 680 min (Back in the day, playing this on an actual GBA, there was a part that I couldn't get past.  There's this room where you have to race a rolling ball through a room and get to an opening before it blocks it.  It pissed me off and I kinda rage quit the game.  Put it down and didn't bother playing it again for years.  Anyway, got to that part during the stream this week, and nailed it first try.  Great, right?  Well, turns out there's two of them.  I got past the first and easy one first try.  Then I found the other one in the second castle.  And this is the real one that stopped me back in the day.  Well, I still got past it, but it took me many tries and curse words.  Anyway, victory was eventually mine.  So I played on.  And just like last week, got to a point in the game where I couldn't figure out where to go next.)

Arcade

Iron Maiden Pinball - 5 min (I tried looking this up to see how old it was.  I think there's one that came out in 1982, but pretty sure this one is new from 2018 or so.  I remember playing it at PRGE in 2018 and it was supposed to be new then, so that's the date I'm going with.  I suck at pinball, so I didn't really do very well, but it's fun to try and seems to be a good table.  Stern knows how to make 'em.)

TMNT Pinball - 10 min (Again, not sure exactly when this was made, but it certainly looked new with graphics and cartoons on the backglass and a four player mode... on a pinball table!  Anyway, I think when I came up to it, someone had started a 4 player game, then walked away.  So I was actually playing for 4 players... I was pretty confused until I figured that out.  So it spent four times as long on it as I might have.  lol)

• Like 5

PC 

11-11 Memories Retold 185 

Dicey Dungeons 48 

PS3 

Demon's Souls 371

11-11 is a narrative story game that takes place during WWI.  It compares to Telltale style games and has almost no problem solving at all.  It is good for what it is, but the characters aren't very compelling, and the entire story pretty much requires that you give a sh!+ about them.

I also finally decided to put serious time into a "Souls" game.  I dabbled in this series years ago (I think it was Dark Souls 1), but I didn't quite understand the point and dropped out quickly when I could discern no real story or any compelling reason to continue playing.  With the popularity of Elden Ring, I've gotten interested again.  I chose to try and play a game in the series that I already I own.  Unfortunately, my PS3 stopped reading Blu Rays, and I've chosen to get it repaired by a local shop.  I guess I'll have to find a different time to get into this series.

• Like 5

Coming in a touch late this week, but still in time I think! :)

Ineligible (All Atari 2600)
Gravitar - 79 minutes
Super Breakout - 175 minutes

Nintendo Switch
DOOM [2016 Remake] - 415 minutes
DOOM Eternal - 600 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,269 minutes (21 hours 9 minutes) [1,015 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 1,015 minutes

Atari 2600: 254 minutes

• Like 3

Not much for me except for one leading-edge modern system:

Apple iOS:

Duolingo - 62 minutes

Pikmin Bloom - 67 minutes

They finally added a social feature that has a purpose:

899618A1-6BB2-43F8-8E9C-2231423301E8.thumb.jpeg.88386640e3f3ef782b8f7a1139196981.jpeg

Nintendo Game Boy Advance:

Muppet Pinball Mayhem - 50 minutes

Pinball Tycoon - 35 minutes

Pokemon Pinball Ruby & Sapphire - 20 minutes

C5C4F87A-8594-4943-A307-4934E10315D9.thumb.jpeg.a35b016e71955e6e794f718bc657b635.jpeg

Pinball:

The Flip Side (American Girl) - 75 minutes

What can I say, it plays good.

3BE6D3DA-061A-4792-8E3B-CA742307FD1A.thumb.jpeg.da9fdb7d4e261cae9c7577e0783b98cb.jpeg

Super Impulse Tiny/Micro Arcade:

Q*Bert (Micro Arcade) - 30 minutes

27062743-E539-4FCB-98BF-766EFAE4EB70.thumb.jpeg.b9ea0830c3336bf9bc91e01ed7f216f0.jpeg

• Like 3

Week 17

Top games

1. Chrono Cross: Radical Dreamers Edition (Switch) - 770 min.
2. Kangokutou Mary Skelter 2 (Mary Skelter: Nightmares) (PS4) - 692 min. (#4)
3. Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA) - 680 min. (#10)
4. DOOM Eternal (Switch) - 600 min.
5. Sonic World (R8) (PC) - 479 min.
6. Hishouzame (PS4) - 466 min.
7. Sonic World (R9 rev 2) (PC) - 453 min.
8. DOOM (2016 reboot) (Switch) - 415 min. (#2)
9. Demons Souls (PS3) - 371 min.
10. Octopath Traveller (Switch) - 360 min. (#7)
10. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands (Xbox Series X) - 360 min. (#3)

Top systems

1. Switch - 3070 min. (#2)
2. PS4 - 1723 min. (#4)
3. PC - 1196 min. (#3)
4. GBA - 785 min. (#7)
5. Xbox Series X - 600 min. (#1)
6. PS3 - 371 min. (#8)
7. iOS - 129 min. (#6)
8. Super Impulse Tiny/Micro Arcade - 30 min. (#9)
9. Browser based - 14 min.

Total 7918 minutes and 44 different games on 9 different systems, with 8 participants.

Chrono Cross moves from being #1 on the classic tracker last week (PlayStation version) to being #1 on the modern tracker this week, followed by Kangokutou Mary Skelter 2 and Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance close together. The most played system is the Switch with a total of 16 entries.

Regarding the pinball games, you are more than welcome to report those here but per tradition we only count digital, video game versions of pinball games, not the physical ones with the exception for Baby Pac-Man and a few more of the same vintage.

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands on the Xbox Series X exceeds 50 hours (3180 min) while Octopath Traveller on the Switch breaks the 150 hour barrier (9322 min). In the later case, it means we now have 28 games out of 1750 (0.16%) which have been tracked for 9000 minutes or more. Eight of those have also exceeded the 300 hour/18000 minute barrier.

In case anyone was late to post your times, feel free to do so anyway and I'll pick those up for next week.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2022 at 3:27 PM, wongojack said:

Sounds like a fun game to experiment with.  Where did you learn about this and what Discord server gave you your answers?

I think I found out about Sonic World on Youtube in 2014 when R5 was the current version but back then I was on Windows 7 without Bluetooth and had to use Joy2Key with a wired Xbox 360 controller and my 2010 i3 laptop couldn't run the stages that had better graphics.

Sonic World has its own official Discord server that can be accessed from the official website https://sonicworldfangame.com/

• Like 3