IGNORED

Open Lara engine on the ATARI Jaguar

Gunther

The 3DO and Gameboy Advance demos of Tomb Raider have caused quite a stir amongst the retro-gaming community, especially the GBA version

As the GBA has no dedicated 3D hardware, this version becomes even more impressive.

As this has been achieved on consoles that should have no right to run the Tomb Raider engine it would be interesting to see what could be produced for the Jaguar from Open Lara.

Edited by Gunther
  • Like 6

I’d love to see it attempted but I don’t think the Jag hardware is nearly capable when it comes to pushing polys and textures. Maybe with some cuts you’d have something resembling Tomb Raider.  An impressive amount of work and optimization has gone into both ports so never say never I guess.  Someone ship this guy a Jag with Gamedrive to get him started lol.

Edited by BeefMan
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BeefMan said:

I’d love to see it attempted but I don’t think the Jag hardware is nearly capable when it comes to pushing polys and textures. Maybe with some cuts you’d have something resembling Tomb Raider.  An impressive amount of work and optimization has gone into both ports so never say never I guess.  Someone ship this guy a Jag with Gamedrive to get him started lol.

GBA is not an 3D powerhouse, actually

the specs are much weaker than the Jaguar and it has no dedicated hw for textures either....

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, agradeneu said:

GBA is not an 3D powerhouse, actually

the specs are much weaker than the Jaguar and it has no dedicated hw for textures either....

This is exactly right. Everything being done on to render this is being done in software. The resources in the system are being managed in such a way that it is able to handle all of the processing required to do this in software and still be playable. It would be very interesting to see what the Jaguar could handle if something like this were attempted.

• Like 2

What's surprising to me is that the GBA version has better draw-in then the 3D0 demo.

I think, if someone did tackle it in the future, that the Jag would put out something akin to the 3D0 port.

If the GBA can do it...

The Jaguar's blitter can handle gouraud-shading which the GBA hardware doesn't offer.

I think the Jaguar hardware could pull off at least a version comparable to the 3D0.

Edited by Gunther
  • Like 4

Hype aside, the GBA version is quite compromised gameplay-wise when compared to the PS1's.
And this game was already a chore to play when it comes to controls.

The camera seems zoomed in and angled more from top to bottom them before.
And the draw distance has been dramatically reduced. 
I doubt many people will be seriously playing it for long TBH.

I'd love to see a Jaguar port though; but as I said in this thread, no good tools for that are available AFAIK.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Barone said:

I'd love to see a Jaguar port though; but as I said in this thread, no good tools for that are available AFAIK.

What are the dependancies?   the GNU toolchain and SDL2?    These things have been ported to everything under the sun, what's stopping them from being ported to Jaguar?  Just that nobody made the effort?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, zzip said:

What are the dependancies?   the GNU toolchain and SDL2?    These things have been ported to everything under the sun, what's stopping them from being ported to Jaguar?  Just that nobody made the effort?

You can compile code on the 68000 all day long, there are compilers for that. I don't know what the state of a c compiler for the RISCs currently is, but I don't remember anyone ever saying that it was good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JagChris said:

You look at the GBA version from a year ago and this one is much improved. Both 3do and GBA use arm processors.  Working on the GBA he's learned a lot about arm. It will be interesting to see what he does with the 3do version.

Wouldn't porting this to the Jaguar be a lot of rewriting the current Open Lara game into RISC assembly? It looks like Open Lara is written in C? If I'm not mistaken, none of that is going to be usable on the Jaguar RISCs is it?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, alucardX said:

This would be a great learning experience for someone and this could be a game engine used for original titles as well.

And the work done to port this could be reused to port other games/tools and maybe even help make Jag development easier.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, alucardX said:

Wouldn't porting this to the Jaguar be a lot of rewriting the current Open Lara game into RISC assembly? It looks like Open Lara is written in C? If I'm not mistaken, none of that is going to be usable on the Jaguar RISCs is it?

There is an old C compiler for the RISC's. There's a wrinkle to it though.

http://www.3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3356#p37117

• Like 1

It will mean a great deal of work, as openlara probably was programmed with a single processor system in mind. If the full potential of the Jaguar is to be used, the program need to utilize the multiprocessor architecture of the system.

Anyway, I see it very hard to motivate someone to invest in this as the game could never be sold. Perhaps not even get a physical release.

2 hours ago, ls650 said:

Personally I'd rather see that sort of effort put towards an all-new game for the Jaguar

I fully agree. I'd rather see a talented programmer focus on making new, preferably Jaguar exclusive titles. Because this is the main reason for owning a Jaguar console in the first place. Programming a game originally for the Jaguar will most likely also utilize the special hardware that the Jaguar has in a better way. This compared to playing an inferiour version of a game that already exist on many other platforms.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, phoboz said:

It will mean a great deal of work, as openlara probably was programmed with a single processor system in mind. If the full potential of the Jaguar is to be used, the program need to utilize the multiprocessor architecture of the system.

Anyway, I see it very hard to motivate someone to invest in this as the game could never be sold. Perhaps not even get a physical release.

I fully agree. I'd rather see a talented programmer focus on marking new, preferably Jaguar exclusive titles. Because this is the main reason for owning a Jaguar console. Programming a game originally for the Jaguar will most likely also utilize the special hardware that the Jaguar has in a better way. This compared to playing an inferiour version of a game that already exist on many other platforms.

If the engine were to be converted to the Jaguar, all of the assets from Tomb Raider could be replaced with something else. Maybe a mascot character of some sort? If someone can get this  working on the GBA there must be SOME hope for the Jaguar running it.

8 minutes ago, alucardX said:

If the engine were to be converted to the Jaguar, all of the assets from Tomb Raider could be replaced with something else. Maybe a mascot character of some sort? If someone can get this  working on the GBA there must be SOME hope for the Jaguar running it.

There probably is, but as openlara is written in C it will most likely be something running mainly on the 68000 processor of the Jaguar. That would be like porting it to the Amiga 500, the SEGA Genesis, or the Atari ST.

The hard part would be to make it playable, e.g. to move tasks over to the more powerful RISC CPUs. This may be very hard depending on how much it is possible to parallelisize the program.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, phoboz said:

There probably is, but as openlara is written in C it will most likely be something running mainly on the 68000 processor of the Jaguar. That would be like porting it to the Amiga 500, the SEGA Genesis, or the Atari ST.

I'm not a skilled programmer so this is a real question. In this situation, the only thing the C code would really be good for would be reference for how the game processes its data so that you could re-implement all of it in assembly on the Jag RISCs right? To do this correctly it would be a total rewrite more or less?

4 minutes ago, alucardX said:

I'm not a skilled programmer so this is a real question. In this situation, the only thing the C code would really be good for would be reference for how the game processes its data so that you could re-implement all of it in assembly on the Jag RISCs right? To do this correctly it would be a total rewrite more or less?

Yes, it would be like writing a new game engine from scratch, looking at examples from other games on the internet. There is probably nothing special, or secret about the openlara code that you could not learn from other places. Besides from reading the propreitary data files for the game, but these cannot be used anyway in a commercial game.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 2

Just now, phoboz said:

Yes, it would be like writing a new game engine from scratch,  looking at examples from other games on the internet. There is probably nothing special, or secret about the openlara code that you could learn from other places on the Internet.

At this rate, I can see where you're coming from.