IGNORED

Open Lara engine on the ATARI Jaguar

Gunther

14 minutes ago, phoboz said:

It looks like it's the same person who has committed the code for the different platforms (3d0, gba, Windows, Linux). Each target has it's own 3D engine; for consoles it is written in assembly, for PC it is using a hardware independent API to a 3D card (OpenGL, SDL) So there is not much C/C++ code for a 3D engine to be ported here. 99% of the work porting to a new platform would be to write a custom 3D engine specific for that platform.

Now it appears that one and the same person has done that for multiple platforms (maybe he did it from scratch or he adapted some existing 3D engine for these systems?)

So one option is to motivate that person to do the same for the Jaguar.

Another option is for someone else to make a  compatible 3D engine that could be integrated to the project.

Either way we are back at the task of writing a custom 3D engine for the Jaguar to support this game.

Someone could always reach out to the developer and ask them if they'd ever thought about doing this for the Jaguar.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, alucardX said:

Someone could always reach out to the developer and ask them if they'd ever thought about doing this for the Jaguar.

You could also recommend them to look at the engine of the Atari 3D demo as a starting point:

https://github.com/cubanismo/jaguar-sdk/tree/master/jaguar/3d

Because I doubt someone completely new to the Jaguar will make a 3D engine from scratch in an afternoon.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, phoboz said:

You could also recommend them to look at the engine of the Atari 3D demo as a starting point:

https://github.com/cubanismo/jaguar-sdk/tree/master/jaguar/3d

Because I doubt someone completely new to the Jaguar will make a 3D engine from scratch in an afternoon.

Heh, then maybe we can find someone who has multiple Jaguars and Game Drives (you know who you are...) can lend one to them.  Tomb Raider on the Jag would/could be sweet!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, leech said:

Heh, then maybe we can find someone who has multiple Jaguars and Game Drives (you know who you are...) can lend one to them.  Tomb Raider on the Jag would/could be sweet!

If someone did get this working it would be a load it yourself solution. As pointed out elsewhere, there could never be an official release without permission from the current copyrights holders. But, we could create something unique with the engine once it was working.

27 minutes ago, alucardX said:

If someone did get this working it would be a load it yourself solution. As pointed out elsewhere, there could never be an official release without permission from the current copyrights holders. But, we could create something unique with the engine once it was working.

Well, as if the GBA and 3DO are commercial releases... I haven't looked at this one yet, but typically open source engines for closed source games require an original copy that you run a script against, that then puts the files in place, or builds a rom image for you.  This is distributable. 

For example, last night I fetched the git version of arx-liberatis (Arx Fatalis, open source engine) on my m1 macbook, and then downloaded the Windows installer from GOG.com and ran arx-install-data, which extracted the bits into the right directory so I could launch it.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, leech said:

Well, as if the GBA and 3DO are commercial releases... I haven't looked at this one yet, but typically open source engines for closed source games require an original copy that you run a script against, that then puts the files in place, or builds a rom image for you.  This is distributable. 

For example, last night I fetched the git version of arx-liberatis (Arx Fatalis, open source engine) on my m1 macbook, and then downloaded the Windows installer from GOG.com and ran arx-install-data, which extracted the bits into the right directory so I could launch it.

Okay, you're down with how it works.

12 hours ago, alucardX said:

I reached-out to Open Lara and received these replies:

"hi, thanks, I saw this topic today, but I can't register on atariage. Looks like my IP is banned or something, as well as my @list.ru email isn't allowed. Anyway the problem of Jag port for me is only price, the console and flash cart will cost over 1000$ in total which is too damn expensive for the pet project )
Probably, someday I'll get the access to such device in the computers museum. Development without hardware access is the way to nowhere."

and,

"but I would like to help someone from the community with porting"

Someone get this man a Jaguar.

Edited by Gunther
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Gunther said:

"hi, thanks, I saw this topic today, but I can't register on atariage. Looks like my IP is banned or something, as well as my @list.ru email isn't allowed. Anyway the problem of Jag port for me is only price, the console and flash cart will cost over 1000$ in total which is too damn expensive for the pet project )
Probably, someday I'll get the access to such device in the computers museum. Development without hardware access is the way to nowhere."

and,

His offer to help someone work this port is a pretty generous one.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Gunther said:

and,

And I thought I was the only one having troubles finding a Jaguar console...

• Like 1

I doubt anyone who isn't familiar and incredibly fond of the Jag would convert it even if you did hand them a Jag and Alpine. The tools are in such a state they'd most likely throw their hands up and walk away.

I guess they could get some kind of flat shaded version working in C and then go there you guys go. Get the old risc compiler running or get a new one and recompile on that someday.

9 minutes ago, JagChris said:

I doubt anyone who isn't familiar and incredibly fond of the Jag would convert it even if you did hand them a Jag and Alpine. The tools are in such a state they'd most likely throw their hands up and walk away.

I guess they could get some kind of flat shaded version working in C and then go there you guys go. Get the old risc compiler running or get a new one and recompile on that someday.

Based on the fact that renderers for other limited systems, such as the GBA, have been written to run the way the hardware works does make me think that if he's committed to the port he'd understand that he'd have to get down and dirty with the RISCs. I give him some credit considering what he's accomplished on the GBA. Of course he may not yet know what he's getting into with the Jag if he were to start.

Of course, this is all considering he gets a Jag in his hands and maybe a skunk or GameDrive. To start though, it would be interesting to hear his ideas on how he might move the code to the Jag and get some intelligent discussion going with him and some more knowledgeable devs. He may have some good ideas but would need exposure to someone with in depth hardware knowledge.

• Like 1

I think the next step would be to ask him to spend just a little bit of time on the Jag dev situation.  Getting him a Jag plus a skunkboard or GD most likely wont be a problem if the community chipped in and he would make a go of it.

However I dont think anyone would contribute before he understood what he's jumping into.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Goochman said:

I think the next step would be to ask him to spend just a little bit of time on the Jag dev situation.  Getting him a Jag plus a skunkboard or GD most likely wont be a problem if the community chipped in and he would make a go of it.

However I dont think anyone would contribute before he understood what he's jumping into.

So I saw several posts saying the toolchain for Jag Dev was bad.  Wasn't there a new one out recently?  Raptor or something?  oh, that is the old one, the new one is JagStudio.

• Like 1

I would like to jump in and handle all the coding, but the last game I programmed was a text adventure in BASIC on a NorthStar Horizon.

Which, from what I've seen in the Jag community, perfectly qualifies me to swagger about like a big man.

(O, and I also handled the AI for AvP. And won multiple Programmer of the Year awards.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, JagChris said:

Why would his IP be banned?

His "list.ru" email indicates he's in Russia. I'm pretty sure Al banned all Russian IPs a long time ago due to the amount of spam and attacks that originate from that corner of the world. I'd imagine the developer could register here with a Gmail email address and by using a VPN.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I help run a (non-gaming) forum, and we get bombarded by bots and spammers from Russian IP's all the time. 

As for the OpenLara itself, wow, great project!  The GBA version looks very good, while the early 3DO needs work.  I chatted with the guy doing the N64 version, he just started this week on it.  Hope he has success.  I don't see why it couldn't port to the Jaguar, the main issue is the lack of good emulation.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, alucardX said:

Based on the fact that renderers for other limited systems, such as the GBA, have been written to run the way the hardware works does make me think that if he's committed to the port he'd understand that he'd have to get down and dirty with the RISCs. I give him some credit considering what he's accomplished on the GBA. Of course he may not yet know what he's getting into with the Jag if he were to start.

Committed to the port and committed to the Jaguar are two different things I think. ?

• Like 1