IGNORED

Rapidus Tips

JGRAHAM2

Yeah. This may piss off some people. But my 130xe+Rapidus+VBXE+1024kSRAM works fine. Never experienced any of the issues that these U1MB users are complaining of. And I've still got DRAM chips for 64k base ram. 

My memory expansion is of the Hias/Mega-Hz variety from before U1MB was a thing. 

On 4/12/2022 at 2:22 AM, JGRAHAM2 said:

@flashjazzcat would it be possible to get your plug-in for U1M?

Heh... I give it to one user, and they all want it. :)

I'll upload it in a bit when I've checked everything over, and might as well reinstate it in the next firmware update (probably in a couple of months) since not using Classic mode appears to be an accepted workaround for Classic mode troubles with U1MB.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MEtalGuy66 said:

Yeah but I haven't seen any flickering Bios screen, problems resetting

The unwanted cold boot issue was generally confined to U1MB machines in 'Classic' mode, although I happened to observe the same thing occurring on an otherwise stock Rapidus 130XE some years ago with SIDE2 plugged into it when I pressed RESET at the SDX prompt. I have to just try and pretend that never happened, though. :)

21 minutes ago, MEtalGuy66 said:

In fact, its surprisingly rock-solid stable compared to a lot of lesser-expanded machines I own

The machine in the video I made yesterday seems pretty well-behaved as well, and may even work stably with SIDE3 once I've finished rewiring it. The owner didn't report any issues which can't be put down to the crappy wiring, anyway.

Edited by flashjazzcat

3 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Heh... I give it to one user, and they all want it. :)

I'll upload it in a bit when I've checked everything over, and might as well reinstate it in the next firmware update (probably in a couple of months) since not using Classic mode appears to be an accepted workaround for Classic mode troubles with U1MB.

Thanks, much appreciated. I have no specific expectations.

6 hours ago, MEtalGuy66 said:

Yeah but I haven't seen any flickering Bios screen, problems resetting..  Anything... In classic mode, or otherwise..  In fact, its surprisingly rock-solid stable compared to a lot of lesser-expanded machines I own.. 

I didn’t see the flickering until I installed the U1M. When I had 512MB SRAM, it was completely stable.

I find the subject of what works together to be interesting.  Of course it's well established in my mind that u1mb+rapidus = don't.

side3 has been a bit finicky for me, working in most machines, but failing in one 800XL.  But the side3 actually fails in an antonia machine that also has a sophia rev. c, and I don't really know if side3+antonia is a working combo.  For me, not, but it could always could be a problem Atari. Anyone can say for sure side3+antonia both in an 800xl works for them?

Nevermind friends, I just realized this is a rapidus thread, and I tried to discuss side3+antonia.

I should've asked if anyone had success with side3/antonia+rapdius combo! haha....just plug an antonia into the 6502c port of the rapidus.....hmmm

I shouldn't joke, it's not quite something I'd really do, but....not dissimilar enough to joke :)

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone!

I am going to install a Rapidus board into my 800XL that has the U1MB installed and I realized that I am missing the cable for GND/EXTSEL/MPD to do the install (I had acquired the upgrade second hand). Does anyone know the name of the connector and/or cable that is needed and where to source it?

Thanks!

image.jpeg.4cf1f0c42b3493d909cd4f1619e396ef.jpeg

@scorpio_ny

I'm not sure, but I have some spare cables like that from other Rapidus units because I always change this connector to ordinary gold pins.  If you would like me to send it from Warsaw to NY, the cost will be approximately $7.

BTW.  On my YouTube channel, I will post some hints regarding the usage of Rapidus:  www.youtube.com/@petertheatarian

21 hours ago, Piotr D. Kaczorowski said:

@scorpio_ny

I'm not sure, but I have some spare cables like that from other Rapidus units because I always change this connector to ordinary gold pins.  If you would like me to send it from Warsaw to NY, the cost will be approximately $7.

BTW.  On my YouTube channel, I will post some hints regarding the usage of Rapidus:  www.youtube.com/@petertheatarian

Hi Piotr,

Thank you for the offer! I am still trying to see if I can source it locally. If I cannot, I will take you up on your offer.

• Like 1