IGNORED

Ys series recommendation/Which game to start?

digdugnate

I'm not sure the best place for my question, so I'm sticking with this subforum.  :)

I'd like to get into the Ys series, but I'm not sure where to start at!  The last one I played was Ys III on the SNES, if that helps.  New ones like on the Switch? Old ones like from the TurboGrafx/PC Engine/CD?

Any recommendations welcome!  

Start with Ys  I and II.    I'd suggest Chronicles + on PC/Steam.     If that's not an option, try to find away to to play the Turbo CD version, whether real hardware, Wii, emulation.

Then Origins.  

I went through the same thing a couple of years ago where I played through the entire series.  Love those games!

http://www.digitalemelas.com/index_ys.php

That link may help a bit, even though it suggests a different order for the 2 I just mentioned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Start with Ys  I and II.    I'd suggest Chronicles + on PC/Steam.     If that's not an option, try to find away to to play the Turbo CD version, whether real hardware, Wii, emulation.

Then Origins.  

I went through the same thing a couple of years ago where I played through the entire series.  Love those games!

http://www.digitalemelas.com/index_ys.php

That link may help a bit, even though it suggests a different order for the 2 I just mentioned.

Thanks!  I can play I+II on TGCD.  ?

• Like 1

Also – purists may wanna slap me for saying this – but if you absolutely don’t like the “bump and go” attack system of 1 and 2, don’t let that stop you from trying the series.   Just read the plot, skip ‘em, and move on to Origins and/or part 3.  

The gameplay changes drastically after part 2, and is more indicative of the hack n’ slash gameplay that’s better represented through the rest of the series.  I see a lot of people miss out on a fantastic series because they don't like the first 2.

Absolute worst case scenario, if you don’t seem to like any of them – skip right ahead and try part 8, Lacrimosa of Dana.  That game stands as one of the best ever, in my opinion, and you don’t really need to be a “Ys fan” to enjoy it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, digdugnate said:

Thanks!  I can play I+II on TGCD.  ?

That I'd most agree with if you're going to bother go with the classic version in the best rendition by far from the era which is that one.  The audio in the day was mind blowing, while it's a poke check game without even an attack button for the sword, it doesn't feel too creaky even now.  Beyond that it's up to you about Ys3, you should do it, but you can do the old side scroller or a very modern version made fairly recent in years which is a more traditional overhead style rendition of the story.  I've heard it's great but never bothered to be fair, I like the old one and still have it.  Beyond those when you get in to 4-6 you could take it or leave it, but 7-9 got localized proper and should be tried out on whatever medium suits you best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/22/2022 at 10:10 PM, Tanooki said:

That I'd most agree with if you're going to bother go with the classic version in the best rendition by far from the era which is that one.  The audio in the day was mind blowing, while it's a poke check game without even an attack button for the sword, it doesn't feel too creaky even now. 

Yes, I used to just sit and listen to that opening theme and be amazed.  Its the best of the classic versions, for sure.  Of all the "Ys I and II" versions, the Chronicles + version currently stands as the best of 'em, in my opinion

Beyond that it's up to you about Ys3, you should do it, but you can do the old side scroller or a very modern version made fairly recent in years which is a more traditional overhead style rendition of the story.  I've heard it's great but never bothered to be fair, I like the old one and still have it. 

Since they've already played 3 on SNES, I highly recommend playing the modern version (Oath in Felghana) as part 3 when doing a series playthrough.  It's pretty great.

Beyond those when you get in to 4-6 you could take it or leave it, 

Take it, I hope!  ?  Those are pretty great.   Here's thing about 4, though -- the current part 4, Memories of Celceta is the one you're gonna want to play.  1st, it's amazing!   2nd, it really leans into the type of gameplay that defines the series going forward.   Here's the confusing part --- it replaces 2 other games, both called part 4.     You'll find there are 2 games called Ys IV - Mask of the Sun and Ys IV - The Dawn of Ys.    I've seen a bit of debate on whether Memories is a remake of the 2, or just a third interpretation of part 4, but either way, to make it simple, just play Memories of Celceta whenever you're ready to play part 4

Part 5 is a bit tricky if you need an English version.  You'd need to download a patch and play via emu or flash cart, most likely.

On 1/23/2022 at 10:36 AM, neogeo1982 said:

Ys Origin on PS4 looks and plays really well on PS4 in hi def.

Origins was amazing.  I played on PC and am always tempted to buy and play again with the console releases

• Like 2

@Razzie.P When I meanted take it or leave it on 4, I meant the confusingly double release of Ys 4 from the era, not now.  Honestly I had no idea Memories of Celceta was a 4 remaster or whatever.  And yeah for now 5 is just lost, unless you hack english into the old game.

Ys Origin along with 7 and then 8 on Switch(wish I had kept it, probably get it on GoG eventually again) were the latest.  9 looks well...weird.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

9 looks well...weird.

9 was my least favorite of the series.  I wouldn't say it was a stinker, but it felt like a chore to continue at times.   There were several parts of the game where I suppose the designers must have known they were gonna stink, because it would have a pop up asking if you'd just like to skip that section.

• Haha 2

I didn't think my post was going to be as winded as it is, but I digress:

The gameplay of Origins was fun to me, but the experience did get old with its singular location. Story is completely "meh" as well, and there's a lot of it. Poor writing and quite frankly, too many characters that try to be likeable to the point that they end up completely unlikeable.

Oath in Felghana (a remake of Ys III) has been the most enjoyable for me and that's where I generally tell people to start. PSP version is great and I think has a few additions the PC version doesn't have, but the PC version looks nicer (higher framerate and resolutions).

VI (Ark of Napishtim) was a "meh" experience for me as well (finished it for the first time last year). Level and enemy design was average, combat not as fun and varied as Origins or Oath, and some of the dungeons are stupid long and repetitve. To be fair, I played it on PS2 and so the load times probably didn't help. PC version is probably the better way to play it. 

1 & 2 on the PCE are classics, but the "bump" gameplay puts some people off of the series. I don't recommend the SMS version if one has access to the PCE versions, it's much slower and takes forever to go through.

III is still a personal favorite. Most easily accessible of the classics IMO because of its side scrolling nature and lack of bump gameplay. Killer soundtrack too, regardless of version you try. PCE felt the best despite having choppy scrolling, Genesis right behind that, then SNES version last because of wonky collision detection and some questionable design choices that make the last boss a lot harder than in the previous two versions. The remake of III on PS2 is also interesting. I wouldn't play it over the originals, but as a fan, it was fun to go through a couple of times. The visuals were pretty.

I have no experience with IV or V but want to go through them soon. Not many comments on 8 or 9 outside of the fact they both look to take the series in a different, more modern direction. I still haven't tried Memories of Celceta but it looks fun.

I'd be interested in hearing more about the 1 & 2 remakes from those that have played them, be it the PSP or DS ones, or the versions available on Steam.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If you can, start with Ys: The Vanished Omens for the Sega Master System. Beat it and love every second of it. Then play Ys: Book I and II for the TurboGrafx 16 CD-ROM and prepare to be absolutely blown away. You may even consider it to be among the best games of all-time.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

@digdugnate  How's the Ys journey going?   Curious to hear a new player's thoughts on the franchise, if you're still chugging along.

Slow because I keep getting distracted!  lol

I'm playing #1 still, I *just* finished killing the first boss of the game (where you go in and have to avoid the flames/etc).  :)  

• Like 2