IGNORED

While working on a couple Atari 1050 floppy drives found a weird upgrade board... What is it?

Verault

Doing some work on a couple ATARI 1050 Floppy drives I discovered an addon board. Here are some photos. Any idea what this thing might be? It plugs into the 6507 socket and the main board does NOT have the Tandon 188063-001K (mask rom?)

Weird thing is all the identifiers on the small board have been sanded off! You can see wear marks. Only the eprom has anything readable.

IMG_20220202_122517.jpg

IMG_20220202_122525.jpg

IMG_20220202_122541.jpg

https://archive.org/search.php?query=1050 duplicator

https://archive.org/search.php?query=DTI+1050

The support disks should be archived somewhere.

A few things to remember: 

1) DD disks formatted on this drive might have issues on other DD drives.  Vice versa is not a problem.  This is due to the way the Duplicator formats the first 3 sectors in DD mode.

2) You are always in track buffered mode (hello damn fast disk boots!)  There is a small boot disk to deprogram it and leave it in stock mode until power cycle.

Having said that, the 1050Duplicator was my main drive for many years and was way faster than my USD.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kheller2 said:

The support disks should be archived somewhere.

The latest ZIP from a8preservation.com includes ATX images of v2.0,v3.0, and v5.0 software. These are listed under the name Duplicator Module and are from flux dumps of original disks, but haven't been verified.

Edited by BillC

8 hours ago, Verault said:

Someone mentioned to me that the actual (not clone) version of the upgrade board had a built-in program you can run by closing the floppy lever (with no disk inserted). I cant say whether thats true or not but it does not work for me and this board.

There are some upgrades that have software built-in, but not the Duplicator.

• 1 month later...

Hi @Verault,

Thanks for posting pics of the Duplicator board, is there any chance you could post pictures of the other side of the PCB, and maybe a few more of the top side, but maybe with a better view of the trace layout? Just curious how simple it would be to reproduce the board, given the firmware is available?

Also, if anyone also has such pictures or a schematic would they mind sharing too?

TIA!

On 3/17/2022 at 7:55 PM, E474 said:

Hi @Verault,

Thanks for posting pics of the Duplicator board, is there any chance you could post pictures of the other side of the PCB, and maybe a few more of the top side, but maybe with a better view of the trace layout? Just curious how simple it would be to reproduce the board, given the firmware is available?

Also, if anyone also has such pictures or a schematic would they mind sharing too?

TIA!

http://www.realdos.net/1050 Duplicator.html

• Thanks 1