IGNORED

Lost And Found.

Atariboy2600

Back in 1992 I turn 20 years old and I wanted to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of Atari from 1972 to 1992 as I was born the same year as Atari was founded in 1972 by painting a 3 foot tall mural using some old Atari 2600 box art and some ref images and painted it at my old High School art class at PA. But after staying at a friend's house I wanted to move back to NY but I lost painting along with many of my bags from Greyhound in 2001 and assume to had lost it forever. Well last night but some miracle I found it on all places a Etsy store and on sale for high price as far as I know the seller wont want to return it for free and seeing I cant afford to buy it back I'll just leave it as where it lays.

It a 30 year old painting and lost it for 20 years and not in a rush to get it again but it is neat to see it one more time:)

Plus I could make a real painting doing it on a real canvas picture with real old painting but I painting it on the 20th anniversary of Atari in 92 and..... hum Atari did turn 50 this year 2022.

il_1140xN.3602728672_sv87.jpg

il_1140xN.3602728698_j3yj.jpg

il_1140xN.3650347263_k5v2.jpg

il_1140xN.3650347277_m23x.jpg

il_1140xN.3650347285_61ro.jpg

il_1140xN.3602728664_4d54.jpg

il_1140xN.3602728802_g4x0.jpg

il_1140xN.3650347399_a087.jpg

• Like 14

Did Greyhound originally compensate you for the loss? If so, you very probably transferred legal title to them once you accepted payment (as that is how insurance contracts usually work). I'm guessing that it eventually surfaced and then it was sold at a lost/unclaimed property auction.

My point is that while you may have a very good moral claim to the artwork, your legal claim to ownership is less solid, and so the seller is unwilling to return it without any compensation. 

Have you considered resorting to crowd-funding the money to purchase the painting?  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jhd said:

Did Greyhound originally compensate you for the loss? If so, you very probably transferred legal title to them once you accepted payment (as that is how insurance contracts usually work). I'm guessing that it eventually surfaced and then it was sold at a lost/unclaimed property auction.

My point is that while you may have a very good moral claim to the artwork, your legal claim to ownership is less solid, and so the seller is unwilling to return it without any compensation. 

Have you considered resorting to crowd-funding the money to purchase the painting?  

As of now my goal is to save up $10.000 to $20.000+ for this year Japanese trip (if Japan open for tourist) and I rather use the money for that to fine old retro gaming stuff than that old painting as much as I like to get back someday. 

20 hours ago, Atariboy2600 said:

It a 30 year old painting and lost it for 20 years and not in a rush to get it again but it is neat to see it one more time:)

It's a cool painting. I found it on Etsy and wondered what you would think if it sells for current $22,000 price tag. Your name is prominently displayed in the title. Have you sold any of your paintings in the past?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Atariboy2600 said:

As of now my goal is to save up $10.000 to $20.000+ for this year Japanese trip (if Japan open for tourist) and I rather use the money for that to fine old retro gaming stuff than that old painting as much as I like to get back someday. 

That is quite a trip. I've been to Japan 3 times in the past for 10-14 days each time and my costs have always been less than $200/day all costs included, including the airfare to get there from the US. Feel free to PM me if you like for more details. Or maybe that budget is just for retro gear?

• Like 3

Might be worth a shot contacting the seller and at least asking what they paid.  Not everyone on the internet are a-holes, thought it is a pretty high percentage.  :D

Otherwise, since it has your name on the tag, try the local police, you might have a case if you weren't compensated by Greyhound as @jhd mentioned.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, thanatos said:

Might be worth a shot contacting the seller and at least asking what they paid.  Not everyone on the internet are a-holes, thought it is a pretty high percentage.  :D

Otherwise, since it has your name on the tag, try the local police, you might have a case if you weren't compensated by Greyhound as @jhd mentioned.

He already contacted the seller; I saw an image of the conversation on discord. He/she was claiming that his/her family “enjoyed having the painting” and “not in a financial situation to give it away.” So yeah, sounds pretty asshole-ish to me. 

• Like 2

This is pretty fascinating stuff!!

I was mostly wondering if you asked about the backstory of how they ended up with the painting?

I'm also curious if Greyhound compensated you?  I assume there was some refund/settlement for lost bags. 

The kicker is it still has your old name/address,  but to be honest it's not the most legible thing I've seen.  Does that say Vagina, Michigan?   OK Probably says Saginaw...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 2/5/2022 at 9:36 AM, cvga said:

It's a cool painting. I found it on Etsy and wondered what you would think if it sells for current $22,000 price tag. Your name is prominently displayed in the title. Have you sold any of your paintings in the past?

I only done small commissions painting but very little and never this high

• Like 2

On 2/5/2022 at 11:32 AM, john_q_atari said:

That is quite a trip. I've been to Japan 3 times in the past for 10-14 days each time and my costs have always been less than $200/day all costs included, including the airfare to get there from the US. Feel free to PM me if you like for more details. Or maybe that budget is just for retro gear?

Yes my goal to fine old retro stuff from of all places call HARD-OFF where they got many older games and systems from Atari 2800, Famicom, Sega Mark 3 and so on.

• Like 1