IGNORED

Coco 1 AV mod options (or RF fix)

jimblargh

Hello friends!

Does anyone know of an AV mod kit for the TRS-80 Coco 1? I am having a hard time tracking one down. I know some folks have done it without a kit, but at my skill level I feel much more comfortable using a kit.

Background:

I picked up a very nice Color Computer 1 yesterday, but upon connecting it to my TV I found that the RF output looks like garbage. I am not really picky about RF - most of my consoles are unmodified and I generally prefer it that way - but this looked bad. Kind of a moving reddish 'fog' over the green background with almost a flash every second or so.

I cleaned the solder joints connected to the RF modulator as well as the plug-in itself but that did nothing. I tried a heavily shielded RF cable and saw no difference (not surprising- my consoles all do fine with this setup). I was able to make it look a lot better by adjusting the pots on the RF modulator, but I wasn't able to get it quite perfect. I suspect the modulator is going bad.

I am aware of cocovga and I might go that route, but I want to make sure I am not missing an av mod kit that's out there. HDMI might also be a good output option if such a thing exists.

Thanks for the help!

I'm in a similar predicament. There's an excellent Modulator replacement (from 3rd party accounts), offered up by Ed Snider at TheZippsterZone

Unfortunately it's out of stock for the variant I need and I've yet to hear back on availability. 

It feels like chip/tech shortage/price gouging, plus increasing demand on these very talented people, might be taking its toll.

CoCo 1 uses one of those Astec RF modulator boxes.  One solution, especially if you like to keep it original, might be to watch Ebay for a replacement box.  Otherwise, the likely cause is that at least one of the tuning slugs is crumbling.  They can be replaced by removing them from new tuning coils.

Another common problem is broken solder joints on the output connector.  Reflowing the connection inside of the metal box might fix things.  The coaxial connector can also be a problem, but if you've tried other cables with the same result then you can probably write that problem off.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ChildOfCv said:

CoCo 1 uses one of those Astec RF modulator boxes.  One solution, especially if you like to keep it original, might be to watch Ebay for a replacement box.  Otherwise, the likely cause is that at least one of the tuning slugs is crumbling.  They can be replaced by removing them from new tuning coils.

Another common problem is broken solder joints on the output connector.  Reflowing the connection inside of the metal box might fix things.  The coaxial connector can also be a problem, but if you've tried other cables with the same result then you can probably write that problem off.

Replacing the RF modulator is an interesting idea. I found this one on Ebay - do you think it might be swappable with the one in my CoCo?

Screenshot_20220212-155017_eBay.jpg

20220212_155348.jpg

3 hours ago, jimblargh said:

Replacing the RF modulator is an interesting idea. I found this one on Ebay - do you think it might be swappable with the one in my CoCo?

Screenshot_20220212-155017_eBay.jpg

20220212_155348.jpg

Unfortunately I can't find anything on the UM1284, so I don't know.  Astec makes a large number of modulators, and similar number does not guarantee compatibility.  For instance, 1286 is a UHF modulator for PAL systems.

1285 is used in Intellivisions as well as CoCos though.  If someone on the board has done an AV mod on theirs and still has the modulator, they may be willing to sell it.  It's sad though, a while back when I checked ebay, there were a number of these modulators floating around.  They seem to have dried up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChildOfCv said:

Unfortunately I can't find anything on the UM1284, so I don't know.  Astec makes a large number of modulators, and similar number does not guarantee compatibility.  For instance, 1286 is a UHF modulator for PAL systems.

1285 is used in Intellivisions as well as CoCos though.  If someone on the board has done an AV mod on theirs and still has the modulator, they may be willing to sell it.  It's sad though, a while back when I checked ebay, there were a number of these modulators floating around.  They seem to have dried up.

Good to know, thanks! I'll keep my eye out for a 1285 specifically, or maybe if I get a good deal on intellivision or coco 1 listed for parts. And heck, if nothing else I learned some things about RF modulators today! ?

On 2/12/2022 at 9:14 PM, MrDave said:

Fyi.. replacing the rf module takes some good desoldering skills .. not the easiest thing to do.

That too is good to know. To say that my soldering skills need practice is an understatement, so maybe I shouldn't get in over my head trying to desolder. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, late to the post...we need this added to a FAQ somewhere.

For composite video on a CoCo1, be sure to check-out the tech segment on episode 34 of The CoCo Crew Podcast. It is quite easy to use a pre-assembled composite video amplifier circuit built for the Atari 2600 in parallel with the existing RF modulator -- very little soldering skill required, although a little skill with hand tools can be useful for mounting the RCA connectors!

http://cococrew.org/

2 hours ago, linville said:

Sorry, late to the post...we need this added to a FAQ somewhere.

For composite video on a CoCo1, be sure to check-out the tech segment on episode 34 of The CoCo Crew Podcast. It is quite easy to use a pre-assembled composite video amplifier circuit built for the Atari 2600 in parallel with the existing RF modulator -- very little soldering skill required, although a little skill with hand tools can be useful for mounting the RCA connectors!

http://cococrew.org/

I just listened to the podcast and this is exactly the kind of fix that I am looking for!

I only have one question - I see an option for an upgraded sound av mod for the 2600. Can I assume that this one would work the same on the coco, or would you stick with the more basic mod boards? 

Picture below for reference.

Thanks a LOT!! 

Screenshot_20220228-144450_eBay.jpg

Edited by jimblargh
Typo

• 2 weeks later...