IGNORED

CV cartScanner

OriginalJohn

Hi Team,

I did something the other day. I wanted to dump a recently purchased game and searched for solutions. During this search I came across the Atarimax programmer and a DIY called 'ColecoVision Cartridge Reader'. I love doing DIY projects so the former appealed to me and I got to work. Being someone that can never leave things alone, I wanted to modernize the software. After about a year of working on it ('working on it' means messing with it on and off with long periods of inactivity) and with a BIG help from the programming forums here on AtariAge, I was able to finally come to a point where I was happy with the results. 

So I present to you, the updated ColecoVision Cartridge Reader software. The original name was bland and begged to be catchy, so I dubbed it 'CV cartScanner'. Like the original project, the code is published, GPL 3.0'd for everyone to download and update (if you are so inclined). My hope for this is that 'the community' will embrace the project where current and future developers can improve on the code and make something that is easily accessible to everyone.  

Did I mention I can never leave things alone? I wasn't satisfied with the resulting jumble of wires and components that were spaghetti over my breadboard. It was just way too ugly and it hurt my heart to look at it. It needed to have proper hardware (It's ColecoVision after all!) so here it is: 

image.thumb.png.de2c8e67254d3be9949e7483b81acdf7.png

I made a run of these in case anyone was interested. You will receive a 'tested before being sent to you' CV cartScanner pcb housed in a rugged ABS case, a usb cable and an instruction card. $49.99 plus shipping in the USA.

Original project: https://github.com/MHeironimus/ColecoVisionCartridgeReader 
Revision project: https://github.com/CVcartScanner/ScannerSoftware

Enjoy!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

I was all caught up with explaining what I did and didn't explain what it can do.

• Support for 32k, 64k, 128k, 256k and 512k.  I was unable to test 64k and 512k games as I don't have any, but they should work 'in theory'.
  • You can view the hexadecimal results after a 'scan' to see the fun behind the scenes.
  • Saving in .rom format to add to a multi-cart or save in your roms folder.
  • Launch the results with your favorite emulator automatically after a 'scan'.
  • The cartridge connector was soldered a few mm above the pcb in order to make sure the games make the most contact possible.  I found that reading my vintage cartridges were more successful when I did this vs when it was flush. 

I'm sure AtariMax is faster, but here are some benchmarks for reading different sized cartridges.

• 32k read time = ~38s
  • 128k read time = ~2m 10s
  • 256k read time = ~4m 23s

Thanks

-John

Edited by OriginalJohn

On 2/13/2022 at 9:47 AM, OriginalJohn said:

Hi Team,

I did something the other day. I wanted to dump a recently purchased game and searched for solutions. During this search I came across the Atarimax programmer and a DIY called 'ColecoVision Cartridge Reader'. I love doing DIY projects so the former appealed to me and I got to work. Being someone that can never leave things alone, I wanted to modernize the software. After about a year of working on it ('working on it' means messing with it on and off with long periods of inactivity) and with a BIG help from the programming forums here on AtariAge, I was able to finally come to a point where I was happy with the results. 

So I present to you, the updated ColecoVision Cartridge Reader software. The original name was bland and begged to be catchy, so I dubbed it 'CV cartScanner'. Like the original project, the code is published, GPL 3.0'd for everyone to download and update (if you are so inclined). My hope for this is that 'the community' will embrace the project where current and future developers can improve on the code and make something that is easily accessible to everyone.  

Did I mention I can never leave things alone? I wasn't satisfied with the resulting jumble of wires and components that were spaghetti over my breadboard. It was just way too ugly and it hurt my heart to look at it. It needed to have proper hardware (It's ColecoVision after all!) so here it is: 

image.thumb.png.de2c8e67254d3be9949e7483b81acdf7.png

I made a run of these in case anyone was interested. You will receive a 'tested before being sent to you' CV cartScanner pcb housed in a rugged ABS case, a usb cable and an instruction card. $49.99 plus shipping in the USA.

Original project: https://github.com/MHeironimus/ColecoVisionCartridgeReader 
Revision project: https://github.com/CVcartScanner/ScannerSoftware

Enjoy!

I'd like to get one from you if possible???!!!

12 hours ago, lawdawg710 said:

I'd like to get one from you if possible???!!!

Hello,

Absolutely (and for others that are reading this):

All you have to do is send me a PM with your request, including your address.  I'll respond with the actual (actual) shipping costs with a few options for you to choose from and will include a total for each.    Just to confirm, the most current software and instruction downloads for this can be found on my github repo here

Thanks!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chart45 said:

are you working on an autodetection for megacart rom size 

Hi,

I think that it's possible change it so that instead of using a fixed size for each read, the read would just start.  At the end, null data would trigger a 'finished' condition.   Anything is possible and I think it'd make it even easier just to have one button.  I'll keep it in mind for the future!

Thanks,

John

You won't get null data, the data will just repeat. This makes size detection a little more tricky (at least if you want to avoid false positives, since it's not uncommon for pages to contain common code/data).

For my dumper I just wrote a PC tool that checks for duplicated or empty data and truncates on that. It tries to be a little bit clever about it and may work with any dump. I tested it pretty heavily.

This is a windows project (with Windows exe), but it should port to Linux or Mac rather trivially as it's all stdio.

fixDump.zip

Hi Team,

I was finally able to get 64k and 512k tested and there's a bit of good news and insufficiently good news :)  See what I did there? 

So for the good news, 512k reads properly so those of you out there with a Wizard of Wor cartridge can rest assured that it can be read.  

For the insufficiently good news, 64k does not read properly so I'll be looking to fix this in a future update of the software.  Meanwhile, I will be looking to purchase a 64k cart so that I can use it to test things out as I go.  Unfortunately, attempts read Boxxle, Jewel Panic, Arcomage, Space Shuttle and possibly Utopia(if it changes from 32k to 64k) will fail.  Sorry if I missed any other 64k game.  

I apologize if this is disappointing (I know it is to me) but I will be working towards a solution when I can obtain a cart and update the code.

Thanks everyone!

John

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi Gang,

I recently updated the windows front end and 'sketch' for the cartScanner hardware.  For those of you who have a cartScanner,  please download and update via this link.  There is a new .pdf in the instructions folder on how to update the cartsScanner hardware.

Changes include optimizations (30% speed increase) and support for 64k Pixelboy 'Activision' cartridges (Jewel Panic, ArcoMage, Boxxle, *Space Shuttle still in dev, *Utopia still in dev, both possibly 64k).  This should round out the support for existing bankswitch schemes.

Thank you!

John

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The bank switching scheme is the same as Boxxle. I usually refer to it as the "Activision PCB" bankswitching scheme, because it was originally designed for Activision cartridge casings. So if you get it to work with Boxxle, it should work with Space Shuttle.

On 3/9/2023 at 10:20 PM, evg2000 said:

this scanner is great. so far i’ve only had one cart it didn’t work with. the new space shuttle cart.  not sure if it uses a special memory layout or what. but really a great product

Hi, with some help from Pixelboy, We've determined that BlueMSX and ColEM will not run space shuttle.  I'm pleased to say that CoolCV will run the file. 

So, if you use the '64k Alt' button to 'scan' the cartridge and use it in CoolCV it should work.

If it does not, there are flashing instructions in the file you downloaded from my Github page.  After Re-flashing the cartScanner, try again.

As always, if anyone has any questions or needs any help with their cartScanners, please reach out to me directly - I'd be happy to help.

Edited by OriginalJohn
  • Like 2