IGNORED

Best "modern" peripherals to an ST

Hi guys - I wonder what kind of "modern" mouse replacement you would recommend for an OG ST. And what kind of monitors do you use (thinking about resolution here) to the hi-res image will look nice.

(A short introduction - was a big user of the ST back in the day, mainly for music production - did get a Falcon as well but when Atari disappeared I went PC for about 10 years, and after that I rage-quitted Windows and went Mac. Now I bought some old Atari gear and I'm using it mainly to sample sounds with - wonderfully low-fi quality).

/C

2 hours ago, CarlLofgren said:

Hi guys - I wonder what kind of "modern" mouse replacement you would recommend for an OG ST. And what kind of monitors do you use (thinking about resolution here) to the hi-res image will look nice.

(A short introduction - was a big user of the ST back in the day, mainly for music production - did get a Falcon as well but when Atari disappeared I went PC for about 10 years, and after that I rage-quitted Windows and went Mac. Now I bought some old Atari gear and I'm using it mainly to sample sounds with - wonderfully low-fi quality).

/C

I bought a couple of these PS/2 to ST mouse adapters a few years ago for whenever my ST mice died.

I've had really good luck with old 4:3 LCD screens, with my 1040 and my Apple II.

If I lived in a large centre, I would be scouring the city for cheap, old LCD's.

ps:  I was lucky she never ate the adapters; I expect it was because they never smelled like treats...

IMG_20220218_091923.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hwrd said:

I bought a couple of these PS/2 to ST mouse adapters a few years ago for whenever my ST mice died.

I've had really good luck with old 4:3 LCD screens, with my 1040 and my Apple II.

If I lived in a large centre, I would be scouring the city for cheap, old LCD's.

ps:  I was lucky she never ate the adapters; I expect it was because they never smelled like treats...

IMG_20220218_091923.jpg

Thanks! Beautiful dog! What a lovely fur :)
Thanks for the suggestion about the PS/2 adapters, but since this is for an classic 1040 won't that be a problem since the connectors are under the keyboard?

4:3 ratio you say. Thanks again - and that won't give you weird raster patterns, or is there any resolutions that are preferred?

/C

57 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

If you also want the advantage of USB storage, Ethernet and USB, NETUSBEE that plugs into the cartridge

port, I've used several USB mice and they all seem to work fine and used USB sticks to backup my hard drive.

Great suggestion - but the cartridge port has to be free unfortunately. Using old sampling cartridges ;)

/C

As music, sound sampling is of main interest I think that some modern mass storage is what could be most useful.

Of course Flash card based storage, what acts like hard disk when connected to ST(E). There is driver SW what works with TOS/DOS compatible partitions, so data exchange with some modern computer is simple and fast.

UltraSatan, ACSI2STM or ACSI2SD, SD4ST, ACSI-CF are adapters currently available. Works mostly with SD or microSD cards, latest one is for Sandisk CF cards.

NetUsBee is nice thing, but it's storage is slower and not so compatible as at above mentioned ones. Then, mouse via cartridge port may not work with diverse SW - all which using own mouse reading code. Special mouse adapters which connect to mouse port of Atari are compatible with all SW, as Atari sees them as regular mouse.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

As music, sound sampling is of main interest I think that some modern mass storage is what could be most useful.

Of course Flash card based storage, what acts like hard disk when connected to ST(E). There is driver SW what works with TOS/DOS compatible partitions, so data exchange with some modern computer is simple and fast.

UltraSatan, ACSI2STM or ACSI2SD, SD4ST, ACSI-CF are adapters currently available. Works mostly with SD or microSD cards, latest one is for Sandisk CF cards.

NetUsBee is nice thing, but it's storage is slower and not so compatible as at above mentioned ones. Then, mouse via cartridge port may not work with diverse SW - all which using own mouse reading code. Special mouse adapters which connect to mouse port of Atari are compatible with all SW, as Atari sees them as regular mouse.

Yes - I actually have an Ultrasatan running with Uwe's HD driver some years back. Forgot to mentioning it. Very nice to collect all your software tools in one place. But I'm not really storing anything as files - just sampling and replaying. That way I get the sound from both the AD and DA.

For a mouse replacement I cant recommend the MouSTer enough - the ability to use a nice comfortable laser mouse (I'm using a Logitech M110) is invaluable.  The MouSTer also can use modern gamepads as a joystick replacement.

I use UltraSatans for storage, they're hard to beat as SD based hard drives.

• Like 1

For most monitors, it really won't matter if they're 4:3, 16:9, or 16:10. Most displays let you maintain the original aspect ratio of whatever you're displaying on them. The only issue would be personal preference if you don't like all that extra blank screen real estate on the sides of the image if you're using a widescreen model.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CarlLofgren said:

Thanks! Beautiful dog! What a lovely fur :)
Thanks for the suggestion about the PS/2 adapters, but since this is for an classic 1040 won't that be a problem since the connectors are under the keyboard?

4:3 ratio you say. Thanks again - and that won't give you weird raster patterns, or is there any resolutions that are preferred?

/C

Plugged it in, and I think there is enough clearance.

I have the mouse/joystick switch thing, which is nice also.

IMG_20220218_204229.jpg

IMG_20220218_205304.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TGB1718 said:

You have to really applaud the designers for putting the mouse/joystick ports in a nice easily accessible place ?

I don't find it a bad location.  If you find you don't need to change joysticks or two joysticks, it is excellent.

The original 520ST did not have that layout, so it would have been considered a refinement.

To me, if the second joystick port was separate from the mouse port, that would be the the improvement to make.

Although, I think Atari's bigger joystick mistake was to set it as a "one button joystick".

Just my thoughts... ?

19 minutes ago, hwrd said:

I don't find it a bad location.  If you find you don't need to change joysticks or two joysticks, it is excellent.

The original 520ST did not have that layout, so it would have been considered a refinement.

When I was younger, not a problem, but now with dodgy thumbs I find it quite difficult to plug them in,

if they were on the side it would be so much easier

As I posted in the 8 bit section, I made some of these, serves two purposes, obvious on the STE

I can now change Joy/mouse as required nice and easy, it also prevents damage to our aging hardware.

Only cost a few £ to make, uses IDC male and female 9 pin plugs/sockets.

Takes a couple of minutes to make if you have a small vice :)

IMG_20220209_125812.jpg