IGNORED

Another A8 disk archive started

SpicyChronos

Re: Dumping hard sectored disks

5 hours ago, Zarxx said:

Same experience as BillC with SC Pro

Did you try dumping the disk as it was a flippy? The SCP has two different modes. One that uses the index, the other does not (or at least, it should not). It is known to work fine with flippy disks, so in the worst case, covering the index hole should work. Of course, we loose the track alignment information with this method.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DjayBee said:

@SpicyChronos Here comes my next list of ATX-wishes for early xmas ;)

160B 02/21 MECC Basic Arithmetic

is there a 161B?

162B 02/21 MECC Expeditions

539B 02/25 Timber

Early Christmas presents for you....

ATX 03-10-2022.zip

0160B - MECC Basic Arithmetic Version 2.0 (OS-B, BASIC)

Sorry, no 0161B. Kryoflux says it's a unformatted disk, I have included the RAW files on my share in the KryoFlux Folder.

0162B - MECC Expeditions Version 1.3 (OS-B, BASIC)

0539B - Timber

Enjoy All!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ijor said:

Re: Dumping hard sectored disks

Did you try dumping the disk as it was a flippy? The SCP has two different modes. One that uses the index, the other does not (or at least, it should not). It is known to work fine with flippy disks, so in the worst case, covering the index hole should work. Of course, we loose the track alignment information with this method.

Just tried the SCP GUI with the ignore index for reads selected and using a standard disk B side.

One of my drives reads only up to 14 sectors (Teac FD-55GFR), the other reads fine and can be written back ok using a8rawconv (Toshiba ND-04DT).

With it enabled I do get an index pulse missing error.

Must say that I'm loving these collections, loads of titles I don't remember and some that I do but were never archived before.. Perfect, huge thanks to the people doing this..

I just love that "oh, I remember this" moment when you see a title that you had totally forgotten about.. It totally cements why we do this hobby...

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 4

Good Morning All,

I've added more to my share.

It's a little late, but ATR 03-03-2022.zip has been added.

Now for some bad news.... :(

My Panasonic JU-475 "flippy" drive bit the dust. The RW head is damaged. The side "One?" head is damaged. I think I might have done it while cleaning the heads.

I was able to image about 100+ disks, and I plan on zipping up the raw files and share them on my Google Drive. Maybe there could be some goodies in there, for protected images

I am trying to acquire another Panasonic drive, and I find out they are expensive (on eBay, at least). If anyone is feeling generous, and would like to donate / sell a modified, or unmodified Panasonic JU-475 1.2M floppy drive to help me out, I would appreciate it.

The RAW images will be added shortly as zip files, to help with downloading.

-Marshall

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SpicyChronos said:

Good Morning All,

I've added more to my share.

It's a little late, but ATR 03-03-2022.zip has been added.

Now for some bad news.... :(

My Panasonic JU-475 "flippy" drive bit the dust. The RW head is damaged. The side "One?" head is damaged. I think I might have done it while cleaning the heads.

I was able to image about 100+ disks, and I plan on zipping up the raw files and share them on my Google Drive. Maybe there could be some goodies in there, for protected images

I am trying to acquire another Panasonic drive, and I find out they are expensive (on eBay, at least). If anyone is feeling generous, and would like to donate / sell a modified, or unmodified Panasonic JU-475 1.2M floppy drive to help me out, I would appreciate it.

The RAW images will be added shortly as zip files, to help with downloading.

-Marshall

I've got an extra one (JU-475) but shipping it could be costly...

2 hours ago, invisible kid said:

Maybe start one of those gofundme pages. I can chip in some scratch. For either shipping or a new drive.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've never done a GoFundMe before. I'm not sure how well it would work out. But, I'm waiting on hearing back on some inquiries I've made.

In the meantime, I am able to image with other drives, however I wouldn't be able to do "flippy" disks. 

I have a decent size collection of "unknown" floppies, from various systems, that I am imaging with KryoFlux preservation mode.

I've figured out how to use KryoFlux to create image files using different switches for these unknown disks:

.\DTC.exe -p -fd:\kryo\unk-0004\track00.0.raw -i0 -fd:\kryo\unk-img\0004.i3 -i3 -fd:\kryo\unk-img\0004.i4 -i4 -fd:\kryo\unk-img\0004.i34 -k2 -i3 -fd:\kryo\unk-img\0004.i44 -k2 -i4 -fd:\kryo\unk-img\0004.i6 -i6 -fd:\kryo\unk-img\0004.i7 -i7 -fd:\kryo\unk-img\0004.i8 -i8 -fd:\kryo\unk-img\0004.i8a -i8a -fd:\kryo\unk-img\0004.i9 -i9 -m1

There is probably a better or easier way to do this.

-Marshall

• Like 1

https://gofund.me/29e79e7a

Hi, all. I'm trying to aquire a Panasonic floppy drive to finish working on preservation activities of vintage computer floppy disks. I need to replace or repair my current drive. So I have setup a gofundme account to see if I can get some help in purchasing one.

Thank you.

• Like 1

I just wanted to say.....THANK YOU to all the people who have donated to the gofundme. I am almost at my goal!

I look forward to finishing up my current archiving, and to provide help with others if they would like to have their collections preserved. I have the capability to do 5.25" and 3.5" disks.  I'd also like to look into preserving 3" (Amdek?) 8" disks too.

-Marshall

On 3/19/2022 at 10:51 PM, SpicyChronos said:

I just wanted to say.....THANK YOU to all the people who have donated to the gofundme. I am almost at my goal!

I look forward to finishing up my current archiving, and to provide help with others if they would like to have their collections preserved. I have the capability to do 5.25" and 3.5" disks.  I'd also like to look into preserving 3" (Amdek?) 8" disks too.

-Marshall

Wow!!!!! The goal was met and I am now working on purchasing a replacement drive.

In the meantime, here is another addition to my Google Drive. (ATR 03-17-2022.zip)

-Marshall

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2022 at 8:27 PM, SpicyChronos said:

Question about imaging hard sectored disks... Since the 1050 (with Happy) and Indus GT drives don't use the index hole... and I had both back in the day, I got a bunch of hard sectored disks cheap, and now I'm using KryoFlux and my Panasonic "Flippy" drive to image them. If it is a standard non-protected disk, will I be able to create a ATR image? I can always use my APE interface to make ATRs, if it fails. I have dumped a few disks so far, but I haven't attempted to make ATRs yet. If I have a copied protected disk on a hard sectored disk, will I run into any troubles?

I would think it would have a problem.  I'm sure it can be done with the Supercard Pro, as I can image the back sides of flippies.  But it doesn't work with all 5.25" drives.  So, if I had that situation, I'd put something to block the index hole, and image w/o requiring the index pulses using a mechanism that will do it.  I know that is a lot of variables and it may not apply to the Kryoflux or the Greaseweasel. 

If they are not protected, then you could duplicate them on the Atari and image them with any flux dumper/etc.

If you get them imaged and can write them back out, I could use some hard sector disks for a Northstar Advantage I have.  Could trade you some NOS soft sectors for em.

12 hours ago, cwilbar said:

I would think it would have a problem.  I'm sure it can be done with the Supercard Pro, as I can image the back sides of flippies.  But it doesn't work with all 5.25" drives.  So, if I had that situation, I'd put something to block the index hole, and image w/o requiring the index pulses using a mechanism that will do it.  I know that is a lot of variables and it may not apply to the Kryoflux or the Greaseweasel. 

If they are not protected, then you could duplicate them on the Atari and image them with any flux dumper/etc.

If you get them imaged and can write them back out, I could use some hard sector disks for a Northstar Advantage I have.  Could trade you some NOS soft sectors for em.

For the hard sectored disks, I'll copy them to a soft sectored disks, and if they are copy protected, I have a super-archiver drive with bit-writer.

Question for archiving difficult disks... I know the disk is not copy protected, but I keep getting CRC errors when trying to image just to an ATR with the ProSystem. I've tried turning off all the speed-up mods, and re-tries to 99. I've even tried different drives.

Would I have a better chance of recovery with KryoFlux or Greaseweazle (On order, should get it soon)?

With the GoFundMe funds, I was able to buy two Panasonic drives, so I'll be able to get back to work with preservation. :)

Thanks All!

-Marshall

• Like 2

Added some more goodies to my Drive. Look for ATR 03-21-2022.zip and the same name in the ATR Folder.

I've also added a CSV file with hopefully all the filenames in the images. I used ATRTools 030a to create it.

CSV can be imported into Excel, OpenOffice, etc.. or just a plain text editor.

-Marshall

Edited by SpicyChronos
Additional Info
  • Like 3

Hey all,

Preservation has been started again with a new Flippy drive. Got it modified and tested, and working on preserving these disks.

Again, thank you to all that donated.

If you would like to have your collection of disks preserved, I should be done with my set soon.

PM me if you'd be interested. I'm in the US, South Carolina.

Thank you,

Marshall

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1