IGNORED

Considering collecting XEGS

Dire 51

Looking for opinions here, from the people who know the console and the Atari computer line better than I do.

I've been into the 2600 for almost as long as I can remember. The 7800 is my "go to" Atari console of choice these days. But for a time in the mid-80s, I was friends with someone that had an Atari computer. Can't recall which one it was, but I do remember many days and nights sitting on his bedroom floor playing Pitstop, B.C.'s Quest For Tires and Pitfall II, as well as a few others I don't recall offhand.

I never looked into the XEGS seriously before, but apparently the old 800 series line of carts can be used with it, and I've seen all three of those games available on eBay saying they'll work with the XEGS. But the prices for the XEGS itself are nuts, along with several of the carts I'm interested in. Given that, would it be wise of me to start collecting for it? I'm not rich, after all.

@Dire 51 Well, the XEGS is a very unique looking system with a cool detachable keyboard albeit a bit mushy but that's the XE line for ya. It only has 64K, but the only a stock 130XE has more and that's mostly used for a RAM drive. The one thing to consider with the XEGS is that it doesn't have a monitor output port like the other systems do, just RF, so you won't be able to get the best picture quality out of it w/o some personal modifications.
Yes, it can use all of the software that the previous line of Atari 8-bit computers did. Now, if you're not married to having an XEGS, the 800XL is probably one of the best options to have in the line of those systems and it probably has a better build quality since that was before Jack Tramiel took over and he was known for his cost cutting measure.
If you do go for the XEGS, if you have a CRT a light gun might be a nice addition but there aren't too many light gun games so don't feel like it's a necessity. 

@Dire 51 - As an XEGS owner, there are advantages and disadvantages. The comment about the video output only being composite is correct. However, that made it much easier to connect it to an HDTV that had composite (AV) ports. 

Unlike in the 80s, having more than 64K is useful for some homebrew games. Unless you can solder (I cannot), you cannot expand the XEGS beyond 64K. The external memory options do not work with the XEGS since it does not have either an ECI or PBI port.  

I received mine for free at my retro computing group in 2015. Unless you have a special attachment to the XEGS, I would look for another option like the 800XL that was mentioned. I think the external memory options will work with that system. You may also get better video if you either have an S-video monitor lying around or connect it to a converter. 

Bob C

I'm not particularly inclined to get an XEGS if an 800XL is a better deal. Light gun's definitely not a dealbreaker. And I do have an S-video monitor as well (had my 7800 modded a couple years back, and that's what it's currently connected to).

So does the 800XL actually have composite outputs built in? And are there any flash carts available for it (that'd be easier than chasing down the carts, I think)? For that matter, what exactly would I need to use it properly? I'm relying on nearly 40 year old memories here, and they're not exactly clear.

@Dire 51 Yes, you get composite right out of the box but the 800XL will need a slight modification to it to get the best picture possible out of s-video but it's a real simple modification for someone with someone with the slightest amount of skill with a soldering iron. 
Yes, for cartridge there is the Ultimate Cart or Uno cart, which allows you to also use disk images by running a plug to the SIO port. I don't own an Uno cart so someone with more knowledge please step in.
I also just picked up the Fujinet 1.6 with external antenna. This is the new "hotness" and allows you Internet access to download your games right off a hosting server OR off the build in SD card if you choose. It also allows you to print to your modern printer and play games that that have networking capabilities. It's pretty bad-azz'ed.

If you don't own any Atari 8-bits, I always suggest people play with it in an emulator first to get an idea if it's something they want to get into further. There is a bit of responsibility that goes into owning these thing IMO and I'd never want someone just to rush in a get one and then decide they made a mistake soon after. Of course, if you've made up your mind, then go for it.

I actually don't have the cash for anything at the moment, so I'm just testing the waters. This is definitely information I'm filing away, though. Thanks for all the info so far, both of you!

Can you recommend a good emulator for me to test some games out?

Edited by Dire 51
  • Like 1

I'd get an 800XL (it was the most popular machine, had the most made so it's easy to find). Into that I'd plug an AVGCART multicart with the SIO cable included and I'd put all the titles I was interested in on that. 

From a 'real hardware not emulation' perspective it's the cheapest, most compatible, most integrated way of being able to run most of the catalogue. 

If you get a PAL one it will increase the compatibility but at the cost of slowing down some of the USA titles by 20%

The 800XL also has the added benefit of being one of the easiest machines to upgrade when interest / funds allow.

I have to say, I don't recall playing any disk titles. I don't think my friend had any. He just had about ten cartridges.

I'm completely unfamiliar with any of the flash carts mentioned. I'll have to Google them, see what I can find out. And that's good to know that it's so easy to upgrade. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Dire 51 said:

Can you recommend a good emulator for me to test some games out?

If you use Windows, I highly recommend Altirra. Avery (phaeron here at AA) supports it very well. 

If you use a Mac, then I recommend Atari800MacX. I also run Altirra under Wine on my Mac, but that isn’t necessary if you simply want to run some games to see if an Atari 8-bit is right for you. 

Bob C

Edited by darwinmac
Changed URL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dire 51 said:

Thanks, Bob. I grabbed Altirra and it's working great, although I tried to run 5200 ROMs in it as well, but none of the remapping of my gamepad that I did for the 5200 would save. That wasn't a problem with remapping for the 800, though.

I haven’t tried setting up Altirra in 5200 mode before. There may be information in the documentation on how to save the remapping of your gamepad. 

Bob C

Whatever model you land on (and the XEGS is certainly the most console like of the Atari 8 bits), one of the cool things about the Atari line is the number of affordable SD card interfaces: Side 2 or Side 3, Ultimate cart, AV cart, SIO2SD, Sdrive Max etc. I'd say go for it and see what games you can track down on cart, and then spend a few bucks on, say, an Sdrive or Ultimate cart to play everything you can't afford to get on a real cart.

9 hours ago, Justin Payne said:

@Dire 51 I second Altirra. There are some thinks with the interface that could be improved but for the most part, it's pretty darn good.

Yeah, I've noticed a few of those things. But right now, it's working just fine for the games I want to play the most.

8 hours ago, darwinmac said:

I haven’t tried setting up Altirra in 5200 mode before. There may be information in the documentation on how to save the remapping of your gamepad. 

Bob C

Good point, I'll have to check.

6 minutes ago, Lord Thag said:

Whatever model you land on (and the XEGS is certainly the most console like of the Atari 8 bits), one of the cool things about the Atari line is the number of affordable SD card interfaces: Side 2 or Side 3, Ultimate cart, AV cart, SIO2SD, Sdrive Max etc. I'd say go for it and see what games you can track down on cart, and then spend a few bucks on, say, an Sdrive or Ultimate cart to play everything you can't afford to get on a real cart.

A good idea, that. I'd really like to own the games I remember playing as a kid, and SD cart the rest.

5 hours ago, Dire 51 said:

Yeah, I've noticed a few of those things. But right now, it's working just fine for the games I want to play the most.

Good point, I'll have to check.

A good idea, that. I'd really like to own the games I remember playing as a kid, and SD cart the rest.

I think you'll find that networking with people gets you a lot more access to those carts too, that's how I got the bulk of mine. Lots of  long time collectors have a stack of duplicates we're usually willing to part with in trade or for sale. The more common 8-bit and XEGS carts can often be had for far less than ebay prices loose and  many of them are excellent games too. PM me if you want some links/leads on where to get stuff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MichaG said:

I love the XEGS, it looks quite good and the extra keyboard is very useful. I've upgraded my XEGS with an Ultimate 1MB so I can play Pac-Man with the original ROM flashed into one of the XEGS-game-slots..

20220307_195852_HDR.thumb.jpg.0c78f7adcf31f5f96406a14265bc78d5.jpg

I second the looks of the XEGS.  I use it daily.  Some hate the colored buttons, I love them.  I easily upgraded the RAM to 128K (instructions on this site). There are AV jacks besides the RF cable built in, looks good enough for me.  As for the mushiness of the keyboard, generally not an issue, most do not use it for word processing.  I do, but then again, I have a IBM Model M clicky keyboard hooked up.  If you can find one, I say go for it.  Then get a disk drive and you are all set.  Well....then an Ultimate Cart, or SIO2SD.....and on and on..... 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dire 51 said:

I guess I'll see what's a better price for me, the XEGS or 800XL.

Best price will likely be the 800XL or a 130XE depending on availability.

I think I have every released Atari 8 bit computer except for a 65XE.  On the XL line, I like the 600XL (upgraded of course, as 16K is not enough, and a video upgrade as the 600XL in the states didn't have a monitor port).

Any 8-bit computer will work if you're just playing cart games.  Only ones that won't work on a XL or XE are Demon Attack and Gorf.

I personally would recommend an XE over an XL because you have to mod an XL get decent color out of the display, the monitor port is missing the Chroma signal you need for S-Video.

• 2 weeks later...

Putting this on hold at the moment due to a cash shortage. That said, a couple questions regarding SD carts.

1. For cartridge games only, what's the best one?

2. What file format do the games need to be in to work on one? I've seen a whole bunch of different extensions, but aside from .bin, I'm not familiar with any of them.

AVGCART and SIDE3 have the best support for all the different cart formats, followed by Ultimate Cart then Uno

.CAR files are the norm for SD multicarts, they are just a .bin file with a header that tells the cart what type of file it is, without it, the multicart has to guess and that doesn't always work out.

• Like 1