IGNORED

Super Action Controller Ergonomics?

Sonaru

How does the Super Action Controller compare to the standard Colecovision controller in ergonomics and responsiveness?

I'm looking for a new controller because my only Coleco Controller has a broken up contact button so the up button no longer works. And the left trigger doesn't work even after I clean it. So I'm looking for a more reliable and comfortable controller but I'm not sure how the S.A.C. holds up. Thanks everyone. 

I like the design of the super action controller, with the longer stick and ball handle joystick. The buttons are a bit easier to use, plus, of course, for games that require the extra buttons.

Note that whenever I get another one (it's been a long time since the last one), they seem to often need to be taken apart and the contacts cleaned. It's kind of awkward to do, and you have to be careful not to pry anything apart until you understand how it's put together, so it takes a little research and a bit of time to do. However, once I did that to mine, they have worked fine for years.

I do still use a regular Coleco joystick that was modified to have a ball-style joystick and straightened cord because it's lighter and more convenient to hold for some games.

• Like 1

I never liked the Super Action Controller. It seems ergonomic visually, but it quickly becomes uncomfortable after using it for a while. This is because when you move the joystick (especially left or right) you have to tighten the handle with more force to keep the joystick straight and steady, and since you want to avoid pressing the colored fire buttons when you don't want to, you have no choice but to apply this extra squeeze with the side of your thumb and the joint point between the index and the palm of your hand. Do this long enough and your hand will get sore. The handle cover (which makes the handle thicker) helps a little, but not enough in my opinion. The design of the controller is simply flawed.

• Like 3

In a way it's a bit of a loaded question because anything is better,  it seems than a standard Coleco Controller,  though I loved mine in 1982, when evidently my hands were made of steel or something.

I do like the SAC from time to time,  but if you get a modded NES, SNES, or Genesis type pad or go absolutely First Class and just get an Edladdin you probably won't use a standard Coleco or SAC very often.  

large_1246_Edladdin_SuperCombo_Above_Det

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...