IGNORED

Is the Amico dead?

Tinman

I'd like to see them redesign the console and make it more like the Evercade.  It should absolutely be cartridge based and scrap the online shop idea.  They probably don't have the resources and infrastructure right now to support an online shop, and real physical media would give consumers confidence that the product will not be a waste of money in the future.  I also don't think they can afford to make the NFT part work for their previously released "physical media."  They should also ditch the touchscreens in the controllers and just add a few buttons in that area. It won't make the controller too complicated if they only add two or three.  These can be for secondary functions.  While that will mean that some of the games they planned will not work, like the card games, that's fine.  They should also ditch the motion controls.  The Wii ship has already sailed!  Only one pack in game should be included (probably Shark! Shark!).  The system could launch with the following physical cartridges at $20 each:

1. Astrosmash

2. Biplanes

3. Breakout

4. Cloudy Mountain

5. Dynablaster

6. Evel Knievel

7. Finnigan Fox

8. Missile Command

9. Moon Patrol

10. Night Stalker

11. Rigid Force Redux

12. Shark! Shark!

13. Skiing

14. Snafoo

15. Tank Battle

With Cloudy Mountain and Night Stalker, the system would launch with two must have games and a healthy starting lineup.  I'd buy at least seven out of those fifteen if they were on cartridges.  With those reductions in mind, the system could cost only $150 with one controller and one game.  Evercade vs is doing $130 with two cartridges and two controllers, so I think it's reasonable.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mr_me said:

It's not like a Kickstarter.  With a Kickstarter people are required to prepay in order to get the product.  If enough people don't prepay the product doesn't even get made.  Nobody is required to prepay in advance of development to get Amico game software, you can wait until the games are available and then buy them.  These boxed games were meant for collectors.  They made them first, then offered them for sale once they were available to ship.  Anyway, the point was that the disclaimer is meant for customers and not a way to get out of sharing revenue with Republic/Fig.

I recall hearing the “boxed games” would eventually make way into retail and/or for sale other than the official website. Either online or retail. 

Only difference having the “collectors edition” print removed.    So the boxed editions were not exactly only made for collectors.

Edited by Rev
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Noah98 said:

I'd like to see them redesign the console and make it more like the Evercade.  It should absolutely be cartridge based and scrap the online shop idea.  They probably don't have the resources and infrastructure right now to support an online shop, and real physical media would give consumers confidence that the product will not be a waste of money in the future.  I also don't think they can afford to make the NFT part work for their previously released "physical media."  They should also ditch the touchscreens in the controllers and just add a few buttons in that area. It won't make the controller too complicated if they only add two or three.  These can be for secondary functions.  While that will mean that some of the games they planned will not work, like the card games, that's fine.  They should also ditch the motion controls.  The Wii ship has already sailed!  Only one pack in game should be included (probably Shark! Shark!).  The system could launch with the following physical cartridges at $20 each:

1. Astrosmash

2. Biplanes

3. Breakout

4. Cloudy Mountain

5. Dynablaster

6. Evel Knievel

7. Finnigan Fox

8. Missile Command

9. Moon Patrol

10. Night Stalker

11. Rigid Force Redux

12. Shark! Shark!

13. Skiing

14. Snafoo

15. Tank Battle

With Cloudy Mountain and Night Stalker, the system would launch with two must have games and a healthy starting lineup.  I'd buy at least seven out of those fifteen if they were on cartridges.  With those reductions in mind, the system could cost only $150 with one controller and one game.  Evercade vs is doing $130 with two cartridges and two controllers, so I think it's reasonable.

I agree, a redesign and just use xbox style controllers or something. 

But that is a total redesign, starting at zero with FCC/CE. Likely would be another year delay before hitting the market. And at that point it would no longer be an “amico”.  Thus my Intellivision Prism theory (any name really)

That gets them off the investor hook. ????

12 minutes ago, Rev said:

I recall hearing the “boxed games” would eventually make way into retail and/or for sale other than the official website. Either online or retail. 

Only difference having the “collectors edition” print removed.    So the boxed editions were not exactly only made for collectors.

Some collectors will want the ones without the text as well.  They're also meant so grandparents can buy them for their grandkids as gifts.  But obviously the ones they made available in bundles, by mail order, in advance of console release was meant for collectors.

Edited by mr_me

Just now, mr_me said:

Some collectors will want the ones without the text as well.  They're also meant so grandparents can buy them for their grandkids as gifts.  But obviously the ones they made available in bundles, by mail order, in advance of console release was meant for collectors.

For sure, the 4 and 8 packs on the official website was for collectors shelves. 

6 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Be careful, someone may have a Shark!  Shark! aversion. 

While I don't think it is feasible at this time a 'slim model' would be better for them. For it wanting to be a simple console, it really seems to have too much going on.

For a 'kids first console' it also seems to be lacking in those type of games. It kind of is like the Homer Car trying to be too much.

They focused too much on what they could do with the hardware than focusing on getting the best games made for the console.  At the end of the day its always the games that matters.  

No console needs an LED light show. 

6 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I was going to buy those limited edition game things, but I had no money at the time. Then I forgot about them. If the Amico never gets released, a set of those might be worth like $20,000 USD or something in 50 years like Neo Geo games are now. Good thing I'm young enough to still be alive in 50 years!

Of course "might" = "might not", so...

Neo-Geo games sell for a lot of money for a lot of reasons.  They were always expensive even when they initially came out, the library of games is great and people actually have hardware to play them on. 

2 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

They focused too much on what they could do with the hardware than focusing on getting the best games made for the console.  At the end of the day its always the games that matters.  

No console needs an LED light show. 

The new CEO say a potential revised console would remove the LEDs.   And have one controller.    Couldnt they just have cheap usb pc style Xbox controllers? 

Just now, SegaSnatcher said:

Neo-Geo games sell for a lot of money for a lot of reasons.  They were always expensive even when they initially came out, the library of games is great and people actually have hardware to play them on. 

Maybe i can get the NeoGeo mini and be done. ?

• Like 1

I do wonder if there is a market for say a $150 - $179.99 console that can run indie games well though.   There are tons of great indie games out there and sometimes I do think they get overlooked because people are looking for the next AAA game to play on their $300+ console, which to some extent is understandable.  

You wouldn't even need a powerhouse of a console, just something that can run latest Unreal Engine.  I think of great games like Cyber Shadow and Skul the Hero Slayer for example. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 1:11 AM, IntyFanMatt said:

Smash JT just claimed tonight that the Amico has been cancelled:

I watched this and while I agree it's over, I find it strange that he is basing the facts on an automated email that went out to say it Amazon Canada cancelled it. That doesnt necessarily mean IE cancelled it. That video was nothng but drama and a guy crying in a hot tub! If I was him I would be embarrassed to put out a video like that! Well there's another YouTuber that's lost their credibility IMO. ?

Edited by atarifan88
  • Haha 3

On 3/18/2022 at 6:43 AM, wolfy62 said:

I'm not sure if it's dead yet,but I am extremely disappointed with the direction everything has taken.

I never believed the negativity or the detractors until the last couple months, now its hard to ignore the warning signs they were posting all along.

And I definitely don't like the possibility that I have been lied to several times regarding the reason for release delays.

Now,only time will provide the final answers. 

This is really sad and disappointing to hear, but I guess better late than never when it comes to admitting one has been taken for a ride on a scam.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SegaSnatcher said:

SteamDeck actually has pretty powerful hardware for a handheld, so yeah I'd imagine compatibility to be pretty good. 

I think the main issues are not having a keyboard, and some (many) games probably have UI elements and/or text that don't work very well on a screen of that size.  I'm sure there are other issues as well, but those are probably two of the bigger ones.

..Al

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Albert said:

I think the main issues are not having a keyboard, and some (many) games probably have UI elements and/or text that don't work very well on a screen of that size.  I'm sure there are other issues as well, but those are probably two of the bigger ones.

..Al

This.

From my experience with the GPD Win - which has a keyboard, albeit a rather cramped one that's not really up to the job for WASD or touch typing - those things are far more of a problem than compatibility and (lack of) performance, and it's potato-spec next to the Steam Deck.

Getting Verified status does require everything to be playable end-to-end with only a controller and have a legible HUD though, so you should be pretty safe with all the games that have it.