IGNORED

PC engine/Turbo Grafx gaming start.

5 minutes ago, guitarmas said:

Hey peeps. I suddenly became interested in gaming options with NEC. I want to.be able to play Cd games and play foreign and US hu-cards. I also want to play them on my 4k tv. What do I look for without breaking the bank? (lol)

Get in line for one of these I guess https://www.analogue.co/duo ?

• Like 4

Whoa. I didn't know this existed. I think they're going to be hard to get.

$199?... That's a great price!

When this becomes available, I think there's going to be a lot of back orders.

If this does what it says it does, I think it's going to be a hot item to get.

Edited by guitarmas
content
  • Like 1

If and that's a huge IF you can get that Analogue Duo that is your only excellent, actually just good option there is, that's all because you want optical and hucards.

If you just wanted cards though, your best choice would be a Core Grafx I/II model system from Japan.  The price is more reasonable, it's not a very period ugly oversized big american brick too, and the Japanese library is far superior and dwarfs the limited US one on card.  Optical isn't region locked though so that end wouldn't matter, but again the Japanese discs are cheaper.

If piracy is your thing, then a $100 dropped on an everdrive would solve the entire card/region locking barrier.  A 1GB micro SD would be even overkill, but it would house every US and JP game, many translated JP to english games too like some fine RPGs and adventures as well.  Optical though, you can burn them, just have to use a high quality CD and as low of a burn speed as possible so the ancient lens can read it without drops, skips, or utter failure.  Another option is the entirely broken unless somsone solder fixes in repairs terra onion SSD device, that can run CD ISOs and cards, but it's a few hundred bucks before fixes.

The games on the US side as disgustingly expensive, the JP games are catching up because they caught on Americans were buying their copies to dodge the shark pit bullet.

It's why I got out, utterly gave up... I dumped what I had, and it was small but gem loaded, for a PC Engine MINI.  I'd almost suggest dropping the hundred or so on that first, see if you truly enjoy the games, then dig deep into the originals... or go free, get an emulator and a ROM dump, see how you like it first before blowing thousands of dollars fast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

If and that's a huge IF you can get that Analogue Duo that is your only excellent, actually just good option there is, that's all because you want optical and hucards.

If you just wanted cards though, your best choice would be a Core Grafx I/II model system from Japan.  The price is more reasonable, it's not a very period ugly oversized big american brick too, and the Japanese library is far superior and dwarfs the limited US one on card.  Optical isn't region locked though so that end wouldn't matter, but again the Japanese discs are cheaper.

If piracy is your thing, then a $100 dropped on an everdrive would solve the entire card/region locking barrier.  A 1GB micro SD would be even overkill, but it would house every US and JP game, many translated JP to english games too like some fine RPGs and adventures as well.  Optical though, you can burn them, just have to use a high quality CD and as low of a burn speed as possible so the ancient lens can read it without drops, skips, or utter failure.  Another option is the entirely broken unless somsone solder fixes in repairs terra onion SSD device, that can run CD ISOs and cards, but it's a few hundred bucks before fixes.

The games on the US side as disgustingly expensive, the JP games are catching up because they caught on Americans were buying their copies to dodge the shark pit bullet.

It's why I got out, utterly gave up... I dumped what I had, and it was small but gem loaded, for a PC Engine MINI.  I'd almost suggest dropping the hundred or so on that first, see if you truly enjoy the games, then dig deep into the originals... or go free, get an emulator and a ROM dump, see how you like it first before blowing thousands of dollars fast.

This Duo system plays both Japanese and American hu card games. I'm not into emulation at all. I can wait until it comes out. I don't mind waiting a year or two.

Edited by guitarmas
grammar mistake
  • Like 2

As of right now you basically have 7 options:

Real PC Engine/SuperGrafx + real CD-ROM+ real games (Expensive)

Real PC Engine/SuperGrafx + SHDS3 (Expensive)

MiSTer (Expensive)

Buy Everdrive from scalper on ebay

PC Engine mini (Limited game selection)

Wait for Analogue Duo

Software emulator

If you don't like emulation, about half of these are emulation of some sort anyway, including the MiSTer and Duo, as they are both hardware emulators. Same with SHDS3, but that only emulates the optical drive and some of the SuperGrafx components, and buying a SuperGrafx specifically for use with the SHDS3 is a waste of money unless you REALLY want to play those 5 SuperGrafx games without the SHDS3 attached to the SuperGrafx.

SSDS3, UperGrafx, and Everdrive are all discontinued as of right now and unobtainable, but the SSDS3 is pointless when the SHDS3 exists anyway. UperGrafx arguably is, as well, but the UperGrafx is very expensive anyway.

If I had to choose one of these, MiSTer easily.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I didn't think about hardware emulation. I really want to wait for a Analogue Duo but I'm trying to get the real experience without having to pay outrageous prices for one. I wouldn't mind getting a modded Duo RX that also plays American hucards. I also need it to hook up to a hidef TV. So I think the Analogue Duo is my best choice.

• Like 2

Just keep in mind that Analogue's products are nowhere near as perfect as they claim, and they have some major compatibility issues that they don't seem to care about fixing, many of which have been around since the launches of their systems.

https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Mega-Sg-Jailbreak/labels/bug

https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Super-NT-Jailbreak/labels/bug

https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Nt-Mini-Noir-Jailbreak/labels/bug

Imagine a Sonic game not working on a fake Sega system... well, you don't have to imagine it, because Sonic CD doesn't work on the Mega Sg with a real Mega-CD or Sega CD.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Just keep in mind that Analogue's products are nowhere near as perfect as they claim, and they have some major compatibility issues that they don't seem to care about fixing, many of which have been around since the launches of their systems.

https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Mega-Sg-Jailbreak/labels/bug

https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Super-NT-Jailbreak/labels/bug

https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Nt-Mini-Noir-Jailbreak/labels/bug

Imagine a Sonic game not working on a fake Sega system... well, you don't have to imagine it, because Sonic CD doesn't work on the Mega Sg with a real Mega-CD or Sega CD.

Whoa.....

I thought they would be the best solution aside from the real thing.

Well, that decision was easy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, guitarmas said:

Whoa.....

Yeah, there are actually a lot more on GibHub that aren't tagged as "bug", so remove the tag and the list will grow, but some of them are feature requests and not bugs. Analogue's stuff is decent, but they definitely can't claim their stuff is perfect like they do when they have compatibility problems. I can give them some slack for the Pocket and its problems since it's a new system, but leaving stuff sitting there unfixed for years for the Super Nt, Mega Sg, and Nt mini Noir, some of it major like some CD games just not working at all on the Mega Sg, is not exactly reassuring.

MiSTer is the way to go for FPGA, especially since it's open source, so if you find a bug, you can actually fix it yourself if you know how.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, guitarmas said:

Whoa.....

Yeah there's some problems, but many of the issues mentioned are related to the jailbreak which Analogue doesn't even acknowledge, let alone support in any way (even if we *wink wink* at each other all day). There are some crossover issues with real carts & cds of course, but if you're looking for 100% "perfection" keep in mind that even original hardware is rarely perfect among hardware revisions. I will say as an owner of all the Analogue consoles, to me it's pretty much spot on for the majority of what most anyone plays and I have had zero issues. I have a friggin ball with them. Granted, I haven't bothered playing Sonic CD but I didn't even play that when I bought the game new :lol: Am I being a shill? Sure! I have zero bias to be 100% honest and use original hardware, original carts, flashcarts, fpga consoles including the MisTer, and emulation of all types both pc, handheld, and console based. I like it all. :)  

If I was to give YOU an actual recommendation right here and now, aside from emulation (e.g. tg16 mini, etc.)  I'd agree with saying the MisTer is your best bet to play Turbo games as soon as possible in accurate fashion. And keep an eye out for the Analogue Duo for the future if you want to play original hucards & cds... flashcarts or otherwise.

Edited by NE146
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I'm going to have to side with NE146 there, do NOT blow off analogue systems, what you're seeing is a dramatic overreaction to them probably due to MISTER favoritism.  Sure it's not utterly perfect, but that list is disingenuous about it being that far off and bad by a long shot, largely around the jailbreaking in the end.  I don't yet have the Mega SG but I will, because as he pointed out, hardware revisions have problems, that's fact.

What fact... try the sega nomad, sega's "1chip" of sorts with the hardware combining and shrinking to fit to the handheld that I own.  There are games on a list that can be testy on a 6 button controller in general, but uniquely due to its design have real problems on the Nomad, one being the epic amazing Trouble Shooter which I acquired over the weekend.  It maps the pause and flip 2nd cannon to the same button, disables the bomb feature button A entirely which makes it super harder.  On a 6 button pad MODE fixes it, but not there.  And even yet you have other revisions with game issues, such as the stripped Genesis 3 which can't use addon devices and glitches other games too.

It is strange SonicCD has issues with the Mega SG, but that is down to something odd for certain and around extra hardware being mounted as well, but what can we say about the actual intended direct(Genesis) game failures?  Analogue does fix things, I have a SuperNT it it has some strange problems even with the ever popular final fantasy franchise which the last revision fixed up among others.

I guess I'm shilling a bit too but mostly just want to point out lame mister isn't the answer either, it's just another sort of emulation as well, and even in the end the real hardware by revision creates problems as well.

Given what the analogue DUO will likely do in the end it will be still the most stable and inclusive way to go about stuff.  As for me despite the early pickup time online I got screwed into group B for the POCKET.  I'm keeping an eye out for the add-on modules, will be getting the NGPC one, but I probably will get the PCE/TG one too and I'll then get another everdrive for that. :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Okay. So the issues are maybe/probably jail broken systems? I really want to buy the Analogue Duo when it becomes available. I just want to justify paying $199 for it. I didn't think about original hardware having issues as well. I'm not sure what to do. I guess I have time to think about it until the Analogue Duo comes out.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, guitarmas said:

So the issues are maybe/probably jail broken systems?

Many of the issues you see in the issue tracker apply to all versions of the firmware, like the things with Columbus Circle carts not working on the newest firmware, Sonic CD not working, that thing I found with Sailor Moon, 320 and 356 modes not lining up (although the most recent firmware improved it, it's still slightly misaligned), Master System Desert Strike not working, Master System screen tearing, etc.. Analogue's stuff is generally pretty decent, but for those things that don't work properly, it's a gamble as to if those errors will actually get fixed or not.

16 minutes ago, guitarmas said:

Actually I just looked at the Analogue Pocket again. It's pretty cool that they have a Turbo Grafx adapter in the future. I wonder if I should do that instead.

Problem is that over 50% of the PC Engine's entire library is on CD, which the Pocket currently does not support. If support is not added, you're losing some of the best games on the system, including system-defining games like Dracula X and Ys.

10 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I would not use a portable console with my HuCards... but I have some expensive ones, like Soldier Blade... I sure as hell wouldn't bring that game on the go and not in a console that is close to the same price as the game.

lol 1941 Counter Attack is going to be the first thing I put in mine if they ever release that adaptor. Not taking that thing outside, though... lol not happening. Besides, it's probably going to be impractically tall, making it awkward to carry around like that without having to put the game in its own case or something.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, guitarmas said:

Okay. So the issues are maybe/probably jail broken systems? I really want to buy the Analogue Duo when it becomes available. I just want to justify paying $199 for it. I didn't think about original hardware having issues as well. I'm not sure what to do. I guess I have time to think about it until the Analogue Duo comes out.

Yes if you go into the actual bugs reported to their pair of consoles, largely the problems come from the jailbreak, not from the stock system with the most up to date firmware.  They still were (SUperNT) patching that and the Mega until last year if you read their official notes fixing a few random critical game bugs.  If you cross reference that with the jailbreaks you see where the JB has caused some problems probably in cracking it open to read games off the alternative storage perhaps.

54 minutes ago, guitarmas said:

Actually I just looked at the Analogue Pocket again. It's pretty cool that they have a Turbo Grafx adapter in the future. I wonder if I should do that instead.

That's what I got, and I ordered the dock too because needless to say I'd be more than nervous traveling around with a device that already is nauseatingly expensive and exploited on the second hand market and that will never improve since I don't see them ever really stocking it in good numbers.  If may go portable around my home, but largely it's going to be a dock toy, given some o the features aren't even really notable or used without the dock anyway which makes sense(but still sucks too.)  So that was expensive adding that for $100, but, the ability to buy a $30 adapter and have a 'console' version of the Neo Geo Pocket Color, PC ENgine, Game Gear, and Lynx is very invaluable to say the least.

The only hang up would be no CDs for the PCE, but if you really just feel the game cards are enough you're golden.  Yes they do have some nice CDs, but I thought long and hard, went with the Core Grafx2+real games(some) and an everdrive until I just dumped it all last year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I actually bought the Pocket specifically for PC Engine games. I don't use it much since the HuCARD adaptor isn't available yet, which means nobody knows how good it is as a PC Engine, but it's been good to me so far aside from some questionable Everdrive compatibility, a very poor d-pad, and the inability to map buttons freely or to have turbo on the unused buttons. If you want to use it as a replacement for the PC Engine GT, hell yes. If you want to play CD games, you'll still need some other way to play those as of now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1