IGNORED

[Solution] Working replacement wifi module and antennas

rayik

When upgrading the VCS I accidently damaged the connectors on both the wifi module and antennas.  That started a journey on finding working replacement parts.

TL:DR - Atari OS only recognized a Realtek TRL8822CE module.  Intel modules were not recognized.

Ebay link to wifi card that worked:   https://www.ebay.com/itm/265398021192 

Amazon link to antennas that work:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K68NHVH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If Amazon link does not work, item is "Pair of 53cm/20.86in Mhf4 IPEX4 2.4/5g WiFi NGFF M.2 Antennas use for AC 7260 7265 8260 Ngff Card"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• 1 month later...

Good to know, thank you.  I'd been wondering about this.

Just so you don't feel so alone, allow me to embarrass myself.

I've probably taken apart more than 1000's of game consoles, laptops, phones etc.   I have NEVER, not even once, ever busted anything.  Well, now with the VCS my track record gained a black mark.   IDK how I managed it, but the little plastic clip where the front panel (right) USB ribbon plugs in ...   it broke off.   I inserted the ribbon and put some hot glue on it, so everything is working.   IDK if was me or just had a faulty bit of plastic, but either way I was really frustrated at myself.

13 hours ago, suspicious_milk said:

Good to know, thank you.  I'd been wondering about this.

Just so you don't feel so alone, allow me to embarrass myself.

I've probably taken apart more than 1000's of game consoles, laptops, phones etc.   I have NEVER, not even once, ever busted anything.  Well, now with the VCS my track record gained a black mark.   IDK how I managed it, but the little plastic clip where the front panel (right) USB ribbon plugs in ...   it broke off.   I inserted the ribbon and put some hot glue on it, so everything is working.   IDK if was me or just had a faulty bit of plastic, but either way I was really frustrated at myself.

For a device that is intended to be user-upgradable, disassembly is a bit tricky and should be a little easier IMO

Getting the panel off requires more force than it should and then you have to be delicate with the top cover so you don't snap the antenna wire.

7 hours ago, zzip said:

For a device that is intended to be user-upgradable, disassembly is a bit tricky and should be a little easier IMO

Getting the panel off requires more force than it should and then you have to be delicate with the top cover so you don't snap the antenna wire.

A bottom trap door for the RAM at a minimum, lol.  I'd have to give it a close once over, but off-hand I'd say the four bottom screws are almost unnecessary, as the front/rear panels seem to hold the two shell pieces together quite firmly.