IGNORED

CorComp 9900 power supply

FASmaker

The original ELPAC supplies were used is a lot of different equipment (not just the CorComp stuff for the TI), so they still show up for sale pretty regularly too. That gives you two possibilities: the original ELPAC or the equivalent Meanwell power supply. Do note that both companies make/made a lot of different variations of their power supplies, so look carefully to ensure the one you buy has the proper voltages, located on the correct pins, before you buy them.

• Like 2

I’ve located my CorComp box with 2 micro PES. One is the DSDD option the other is RS232 PIO only. The DSDD was my brother’s main machine for quite some time in the 80s and 90s. 

Maybe Sunday I can photograph the insides and check the Elpac power bricks. 

@acadiel has this thread, I just noticed! Photo of the disk and memory board but you could ask about the power supply. 

• Like 2

On 4/1/2022 at 10:02 AM, Ksarul said:

The original ELPAC supplies were used is a lot of different equipment (not just the CorComp stuff for the TI), so they still show up for sale pretty regularly too. That gives you two possibilities: the original ELPAC or the equivalent Meanwell power supply. Do note that both companies make/made a lot of different variations of their power supplies, so look carefully to ensure the one you buy has the proper voltages, located on the correct pins, before you buy them.

My ELPAC went poof one day - and took out a 9901 in the Corcomp - so that’s why I replaced it.  I’m thinking one of the passives inside decide to take a permanent vacation.

• Sad 1

On 4/2/2022 at 6:34 PM, acadiel said:

My ELPAC went poof one day - and took out a 9901 in the Corcomp - so that’s why I replaced it.  I’m thinking one of the passives inside decide to take a permanent vacation.

So, I am one of the unfortunates that will benefit greatly from the board you are developing and it is greatly appreciated. Mine also didn't come with a power supply and I have an ELPAC replacement on the way. Do you think it would be of benefit to install a version of the C64Saver in line with it to prevent a POOF situation? I built one to use with my Commodore 64 as those original power supplies are almost guaranteed to go and kill some of the hard to find chips. 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 5:35 PM, snume said:

So, I am one of the unfortunates that will benefit greatly from the board you are developing and it is greatly appreciated. Mine also didn't come with a power supply and I have an ELPAC replacement on the way. Do you think it would be of benefit to install a version of the C64Saver in line with it to prevent a POOF situation? I built one to use with my Commodore 64 as those original power supplies are almost guaranteed to go and kill some of the hard to find chips. 

I’m the only one so far that I’ve heard about where the ELPAC has done that.  At least, nobody else has said so in the forums in the past 10-15 years that I’ve noticed.  About the C64 saver - I don’t know - without looking at how one of those works, I’m unsure if the pinout would protect the correct pins.

The new bricks do work great, though.  I also bought a switch in-line to an IEC cord to turn the power brick off when I’m not using it.

And yes, it’s going to be fun making a duplicate board and testing it!  I don’t remember if I put the BOM for the upper board here on AtariAge yet, but I do have a copy of it.  I’ll even make a Mouser BOM for the common stuff.  The GALs, 9901, TMS4500, and WD1773 will likely need to be eBay finds.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, acadiel said:

I’m the only one so far that I’ve heard about where the ELPAC has done that.  At least, nobody else has said so in the forums in the past 10-15 years that I’ve noticed.  About the C64 saver - I don’t know - without looking at how one of those works, I’m unsure if the pinout would protect the correct pins.

The new bricks do work great, though.  I also bought a switch in-line to an IEC cord to turn the power brick off when I’m not using it.

And yes, it’s going to be fun making a duplicate board and testing it!  I don’t remember if I put the BOM for the upper board here on AtariAge yet, but I do have a copy of it.  I’ll even make a Mouser BOM for the common stuff.  The GALs, 9901, TMS4500, and WD1773 will likely need to be eBay finds.

Very cool. And the C64 saver has a circuit that cuts off the 9V rail if the power supply fails which usually causes a spike that kills one or two of the main chips, I think the video one which is getting very hard to find a replacement for, unless someone has finally developed a replacement. I was thinking the design would just be modified to work with ELPAC supply, though I do believe it is a 5 pin din as well. It was just a thought. Wasn't very expensive to build one either. 

22 hours ago, snume said:

Very cool. And the C64 saver has a circuit that cuts off the 9V rail if the power supply fails which usually causes a spike that kills one or two of the main chips, I think the video one which is getting very hard to find a replacement for, unless someone has finally developed a replacement. I was thinking the design would just be modified to work with ELPAC supply, though I do believe it is a 5 pin din as well. It was just a thought. Wasn't very expensive to build one either. 

c64 is AC.. this is DC.. not the same