IGNORED

Pitfall Pouch

grimholtz

Hi,

When my parents bought me the original Pitfall the early 80s, it came with a "Pitfall Pouch." I've never been able to find any information about it, even to this day. I occasionally search eBay, Google, various Atari web sites, and many personal collector sites, but I've never seen anyone even mention this item.

I've attached two JPGs of the backpack for all to see. They are highly compressed so the images aren't the best. They don't show the zipper, but it is black and on the top.

I never used the backpack for anything other than storing Atari 2600 manuals, so it's in pretty good shape -- but it was flimsy to being with.

Does anyone know anything about this backpack? Has anyone come across it before? Any idea how much it might sell for?

Thank you in advance,

Eric

post-4028-1063252753_thumb.jpg

post-4028-1063252754_thumb.jpg

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback. And thanks for confirming what I've thought all these years -- NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THE HELL THIS THING IS. :)

sku_u, as I wrote in my original post, the pack came WITH the original Pitfall purchase. If I remember correctly (and it's very possible that I don't), it was sealed in transparent cellophane, folded. It certainly couldn't have been stuffed inside the cart box, so I don't remember how it was actually given to me as part of the purchase.

Nukey--I also bought Pitfall the day it was released! It is pretty cheap.

So, where's the best place for me to sell this? I don't want it anymore. Well, actually, that's not entirely true. I just think it should be in the hands of someone who appreciates it more than me. In my hands, it will no doubt be lost over the years.

-eric

So' date=' where's the best place for me to sell this? I don't want it anymore. Well, actually, that's not entirely true. I just think it should be in the hands of someone who appreciates it more than me. In my hands, it will no doubt be lost over the years.

-eric[/quote']

To maximize profit and to give all interested parties a fiar shot, I recommend putting it up on ebay and posting the specific listing in the Ebay forum when you do so. You could also PM me if you want to sell this privately and I'll make you an offer.

Thanks for the advice, sku_u. What's the ebay forum? I've sold a few times on ebay before, but never came across forums there.

In the meantime, does anyone know (roughly) how much comparable collectibles sell for? This way I might get an expectation of the sale price. The reason I ask is because if I'm only going to get in the neighborhood of $20, I'll just keep it.

Basically, I have no clue what Atari 2600 collectibles sell for (especially rare ones like this), so I don't want to be taken advantage of. I'd need to know a minimum bid price or reserve price before I put it on ebay.

thanks again guys,

eric

[/b]

Thanks for the advice' date=' sku_u. What's the ebay forum? I've sold a few times on ebay before, but never came across forums there.

In the meantime, does anyone know (roughly) how much comparable collectibles sell for? This way I might get an expectation of the sale price. The reason I ask is because if I'm only going to get in the neighborhood of $20, I'll just keep it.

Basically, I have [b']no[/b] clue what Atari 2600 collectibles sell for (especially rare ones like this), so I don't want to be taken advantage of. I'd need to know a minimum bid price or reserve price before I put it on ebay.

thanks again guys,

eric

[/b]

He's talking about the Ebay forum on this site.

inky -- oh, ok. n00b here, in case you can't tell.

More interesting, anyone have contacts at Activision so we could find out history on this thing? Why were they made? Were they marketing items, promotional tools, sold with the first 500 carts, that kind of thing?

If there's an Atari 2600 museum anywhere (non-profit), even if it's on-line, I might just be willing to donate it.

If there's an Atari 2600 museum anywhere (non-profit)' date=' even if it's on-line, I might just be willing to donate it.[/quote']

There is an online archive that is kind of like a museum:

www.atarimuseum.com

Personally, I think you could get somewhere betweemn $20 and $50 for this item. There is a member here who has been selling off his collection of press releases which are just as obscure as what you hav and they have been going in this ballpark. Of course, there is no way of knowing for sure. Set a reserve at the lowest price you are willing to part with this for as a precaustionary measure if you are concerned about how much it will go for.

More interesting' date=' anyone have contacts at Activision so we could find out history on this thing? [/quote']

Klove is our resident Activision liason. He hasn't been on in a few days, but he may be able to dig up info on it.

In fact, he may be interested in obtaining pics of it himself.

well slapdash, I went to the 2600 Connection web site and it's too bad you can't view issues on-line there.

Back issues are available.

I'd like to see what they have to say about the pack, if anything.

There wasn't much in there, just a picture, and a letter from the guy who brought it to my attention. I was mainly pointing out that it's not entirely unheard of.

As to your question about eBay, I believe they only keep auction listings 30 days.