IGNORED

The Atari Collection

Hello everyone: I am at present updating my TNFS Server list and burning a copy of it to 1 of 50 BluRay disks. This means that I will be able to make 49 duplicates with everything I have ever created on the Atari 8 Bit , a little over 24 GIGs per disk, each one will be carefully checked to see if all of the contents work OK and will be offered to anyone that has an Atari 8 Bit computer. This disk will also have the entire Atari Portfolio collection on it for those of you who have ordered an IDE Kit from me, it will be totally free as these IDE kits have been suspended for an indefinite period (but they will be produced, its a matter of getting the bugs out of the prototype). Disks are currently being made and custom labeled as shown in the picture, hopefully I will get the labels on better than these two. I will have 6 discs ready for shipping today. Price is $30.00 US each including shipping. By tomorrow I will have another 12 burned , checked and labels printed. It takes roughly 45 mins to burn, check and print labels for 2 discs.

WIN_20220503_07_35_56_Pro.jpg

Edited by rcamp48
additions to post

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, leech said:

Whoa, there is a supposed IDE kit for the Portfolio?  I've bought one, but haven't done much with it except clean out battery leakage and make sure it worked.

Don't hold your breath.  We here it's coming out after a working Forem XE 6.xx Super Duper MIDI edition arrives.

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Don't hold your breath.  We here it's coming out after a working Forem XE 6.xx Super Duper MIDI edition arrives.

Ha, and I actually meant I would've have bought one.  But then, as you say, likely won't show up.  Granted the Portfolio was more of a joke buy and a 'is there anything that isn't a prototype or rare as shit that I don't have that is Atari yet... oh, a Portfolio....'

Are those disks printable media or are you sticking paper labels to them? I strongly recommend do not stick paper labels on them. They kill DVDs and CDs. I expect blurryray disks to suffer the same fate. There are printers which can print directly on printable media - my Brother printer is one such model.

17 hours ago, Mrshoujo said:

Are those disks printable media or are you sticking paper labels to them? I strongly recommend do not stick paper labels on them. They kill DVDs and CDs. I expect blurryray disks to suffer the same fate. There are printers which can print directly on printable media - my Brother printer is one such model.

I did not know that, yes they are paper labels, granted they make my disks look nicer but if the label will ruin the disk, then I might make new ones

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 6:27 PM, Stephen said:

Very funny, I actually was working on Forem XEP within the last five hours, but I made the mistake of putting my Aatari 800xl on top of my Adam, when I tried to take the MicroSd card out, it fell inside the cartridge po of my Adam, a friend of mine will get it out. Some of the changes were actual error checking routines in the InitBBS file, the part where it asks you if the name of the message group is OK, has been fixed, it would always bomb if you typed in a 'y' instead of a 'Y' , credit has been given to Amis for all of his work on updating Forem XEP, I just did some minor bugfixes still not done, and I don't intend to relaese anything until it works 100 percent. Sorry no Forem XE 6.xx Super Duper MIDI Edition, Stephen.

On 5/8/2022 at 5:35 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

I'd probably wait until you have made sure all of the projects you've posted to date actually work and a bug free....

That's what I am working on now that I have office space to work in and no one at home to bother me, I am working on the copy of Forem XE Pro that I have been working on in the past, the only changes are a few bug fixes and credit has been clearly made to AMIS for getting it working in the first place. The BD disks are coming along but I hear that paper labels will ruin the disks , so I will probably remake them all and ship them all out.

I put 5 hours into various cosmetic changes to Forem XEP, all changes were error checking and the like.

Now that I have more time, I will start to work on the things that I have posted, and finish them..... 

Dropping the Micro SD chip inside the cartridge port of my Adam does not help in the matter however.

On 5/26/2022 at 6:32 PM, leech said:

Ha, and I actually meant I would've have bought one.  But then, as you say, likely won't show up.  Granted the Portfolio was more of a joke buy and a 'is there anything that isn't a prototype or rare as shit that I don't have that is Atari yet... oh, a Portfolio....'

It will show up, I will make sure oif that, I have someone to work on the modified prototype of the IDE board, and then modified Parallel port.

23 hours ago, rcamp48 said:

I did not know that, yes they are paper labels, granted they make my disks look nicer but if the label will ruin the disk, then I might make new ones

For anyone wondering why adhesive paper labels are bad: The media is poly carbonate plastic and is designed to expand equally in all directions based on temperature. Paper labels interfere with that pattern of expansion / contraction. Plus the reflective data layer is just under the surface where a paper label would go. The adhesive has a tendency to migrate on a molecular level through to the data layer and kill it.

I've had to deal with more than a few damaged discs because of a paper label. Sometimes the adhesive dries up and the label gets damaged which throws off the balance during rotation. That can break a drive.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 12:10 AM, Mrshoujo said:

For anyone wondering why adhesive paper labels are bad: The media is poly carbonate plastic and is designed to expand equally in all directions based on temperature. Paper labels interfere with that pattern of expansion / contraction. Plus the reflective data layer is just under the surface where a paper label would go. The adhesive has a tendency to migrate on a molecular level through to the data layer and kill it.

I've had to deal with more than a few damaged discs because of a paper label. Sometimes the adhesive dries up and the label gets damaged which throws off the balance during rotation. That can break a drive.

Remember those fun times when you'd have like a cracked disk, but didn't know it, and after putting it into your drive they'd shatter all over... only had that happen once.  Then again I also had one come shooting out once...

7 hours ago, leech said:

Remember those fun times when you'd have like a cracked disk, but didn't know it, and after putting it into your drive they'd shatter all over... only had that happen once.  Then again I also had one come shooting out once...

In all my decades of computing and retro-computing (back when it was still just computing), I've never had anything even remotely like that happen. I've seen videos of it though, so I know that it does happen on occasion. I guess I've always been lucky that I take very good care of my media and thoroughly look over any disc that I purchased used. I'm sure that was a major mess to try and cleanup and I certainly don't envy you the time you spent on it!