IGNORED

In Development: A New ADAM Computer System Quick Preview Inside

DannyVdH

https://www.facebook.com/groups/115531017844/posts/10160561239732845/

Just a quick response to some rumours, understandable that this happens but I can tell you the following.

First, it's not a scam, I've been involved in software and hardware projects for years, both professionally and as a hobby. I also make a lot of use of open source, I like the people who, just like me, are committed to their project, I also intend to finish this completely, of course it takes some time to get to a fully finished product. And a little advertising gives me a nice feeling that there is a lot of interest for this. By the way, very nice report. I am more and more motivated to put a lot more energy into this than I already did.

• Like 3

This sounds like a great project.  I hope you can support MSX 2+ as that I think is where some of the greatest MSX game live.  

In the past, consoles that dump carts sometimes have issues with things like cart and version recognition, to the point where you can put in a real game that is clean and not work but work fine on a real console.  Game saves being placed back on the real cart also tend to be difficult for those games with save chips. In a perfect world for me I would love to play real carts on the system and not have them be dumped, but in lieu of that is there anything you can do to help mitigate those stumbling blocks other consoles seem to fall on?

Looking forward to buying one when they are available, thank you for your work for the community, it's appreciated!

If I had the smarts I would make a new one in physical hardware that was meant for that purpose.

In FPGA or emulator you can do anything like stop the sprites from flickering or invent other screen modes, add a scroll bit.  Make ADAM 1024x768 natively.

I look at the Amico.  An android device that has an emulator on it.

That aside I still want one of these even just to toy around with it.

If I had to make a new ADAM it would be closer to the MSX 2 or better and in hardware but then again you run into chip availability.

Edited by Captain Cozmos

Dear Adam lovers, The build-up of the Adam+ is going great, but there are still some problems about how I could eventually launch this.

I have contacted the author of the emulator, after explaining my project he finds that it does not follow the open source rules and that

modifications and use of the software should only be done when I purchase a license.

And that's exactly where the shoe just doesn't fit. Is it indeed open source or is it not? It's hard for me to get around the fact that

I have to cost something for some parts or offering a complete system.

A license solves this problem but drives up the cost so that I have to sell at least a certain amount to keep this cost low.

In the meantime I will continue to work on a completely working system and see where I end up, I wanted to keep you informed.

emulator.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dear Retro Lovers,
Because I want to respond to the demand to get more value from the ADAM+ system I will provide the unit with an interchangeable cartridge system, 
the electronics for the cartridge reader will be integrated into it so that it only needs usb to connect to the base system. 
As soon as you connect the module, the system will automatically know which emulator to start when the reset cartridge push button is pressed.

Cartreader.png

• Like 9

On 5/28/2022 at 5:44 AM, DannyVdH said:

Dear Adam lovers, The build-up of the Adam+ is going great, but there are still some problems about how I could eventually launch this.

I have contacted the author of the emulator, after explaining my project he finds that it does not follow the open source rules and that

modifications and use of the software should only be done when I purchase a license.

And that's exactly where the shoe just doesn't fit. Is it indeed open source or is it not? It's hard for me to get around the fact that

I have to cost something for some parts or offering a complete system.

A license solves this problem but drives up the cost so that I have to sell at least a certain amount to keep this cost low.

In the meantime I will continue to work on a completely working system and see where I end up, I wanted to keep you informed.

emulator.png

I am no electronic genius but if I had the smarts to make one I would have done it with real hardware or FPGA and a bios I wrote myself.

That way I would not have to owe anyone anything.

But the real question is, because you have the smarts to go this far then why not just write your own emulator.

There can only be so many ways to emulate the Coleco hardware.

Look at the MAME source code, see how it's done then go to town.

I would also hate to remind the one thing that might sting a bit.
You would be making money by selling a system that would not work without this guys software yet you don't want to compensate him in order to keep the costs down.  I would think he would frown upon that.

Edited by Captain Cozmos

On 5/29/2022 at 2:21 PM, DannyVdH said:

Dear Retro Lovers,
Because I want to respond to the demand to get more value from the ADAM+ system I will provide the unit with an interchangeable cartridge system, 
the electronics for the cartridge reader will be integrated into it so that it only needs usb to connect to the base system. 
As soon as you connect the module, the system will automatically know which emulator to start when the reset cartridge push button is pressed.

Cartreader.png

I'm loving the idea but if it's a universal deal then why call it the ADAM+.

When I first heard about the project I thought it would be an update to the ADAM like an MSX 2 running at blazing speed.
But, and I am not trying to trash this thing at all, the more you add to it makes it look like just another computer, tablet, phone that runs emulators.

Grant you, it has a specialized case.

I would love to own one as soon as it's ready but if it's not cost effective then I don't think my wife would be happy.  Especially after I spent all that money on my PS5.

An ADAM+ why not, one of the first in the world, also one of the first in computer land for the home user.
Don't fix on the ADAM alone, it will be the task to emulate it as good as possible, but why not more if it is possible.
I think it's an appropriate name. Emulation, why because there is a powerful PC behind it and so many 
more possibilities can be found makes it just as much fun. 
You could say, again one of the many pc emulators, that is not the case anymore, here is a close collaboration with hardware 
where you can use original cartridges, joysticks. This really makes it much more like it used to be. 
The drive that will ensure that you can run the programs directly. 
As for the author of the emulator, if I'm really going to use one I'll do it in a fair way and that's compensation if they ask, 
if it's really too much then I'll have to think of another solution. 
If there is enough distribution, this cost will not make much of a difference. 
I am far from ready to make all the necessary decisions about that. 
I am building this system because I like to do it, also towards the enthusiasts and I now get a lot of support from that. 
I am also fond of retro gaming like you all. 
What I want to do is get this distributed enough so that I can greatly reduce the cost. 
What I absolutely want is a very close resemblance to the real hardware, although I find it even more interesting 
that you can do so much more than that, you don't have that flexibility with FPGA.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Captain Cozmos said:

But, and I am not trying to trash this thing at all, the more you add to it makes it look like just another computer, tablet, phone that runs emulators.

That could possibly be true. I solved the ho-hum genericness of the "emulator on a PC" problem by customizing it all and making it my interpretation of the all-in-one rig I dreamed about as a kid.

For example I always wanted to play all the 70's and 80's consoles on one piece of hardware. I even dared a little to include the then uber-sophisticated arcade hardware too. One machine. One machine to do it all. I knew it wouldn't look like a VCS, or Intellivision, or ColecoVision or anything contemporary of the time. It would be some futuristic looking box with Superman/HAL/Hollywood memory crystals and subspace processors running thousands of times faster than anything yet in existence. A processor that could leap ahead and guess what instructions to do next. All on its own.

A small generic PC isn't all that far away from those childhood musings and sci-fi writings. That takes care of the hardware. The software layout was also nebulous at the time - and that means any easy and convenient GUI (or whatever have you) fits the bill. As long as I can segue from game to game, machine to machine, quickly and smoothly, stuff is good.

And of course to make it my own I hand-picked all my arcade favorites and added them to MAME one at a time over the years, the decades. Reaching just under 200 nowadays. Also configured the popular 8-bit consoles and computers. With focus on making the emulation/setup as functional as possible. Then building libraries of stuff I played as a kid, or wanted to play, and some new stuff. Not just a collection of a gazillion romz and paks, but stuff that best represented the times. Stuff that had (and has) meaning to me.

So you see. It's been a highly personal activity conducted in spare hobby time. Setting up the AIO and making it exactly like I envisioned it nearly 50 years ago continues to be a fun pastime! Wow!

• Like 1

Specs:

CPU 2.4Ghz Quad core Intel - 4GB ram, 32GB eMMC, Intel UHD Graphics 600, Wifi & Bluetooth, HDMI,

1x USB-C , 2x USB-A 2.0, 3x USB-A 3.0, 1x RJ11 ADAM keyboard, 1x RJ11 ADAMNET Ext, 1x Ethernet ,

1x M.2 Slot, 2x DB9 ADAM Joystick ports, 3.5 Jack Stereo Sound output. 1x Micro SD slot, 1xSD slot, 1x Future expansion slot.

• Like 3

A new feature has been added. The OLED and thumbstick will have a different function, this will be the 'control center' of the system. 
With this selection you start an application on your main screen. This gives the opportunity to start much more extensive things.
For example, if you select 'DRIVE' you will enter an application where the complete list of data stored on the SD card will be displayed on the screen, 
you will then have the choice to make a selection such as for example start, copy , rename, delete, etc. ... ... . 
This is when you select the 'CARTRIDGE' again, the option to run the content, save it to the system or SD or debug it. 
And so are all the items you can select from the Control Center. You can still run the game immediately after inserting a cartridge
by pressing the 'reset cartridge' push button.

controlcenter.png

• Like 2

On 6/3/2022 at 7:16 PM, DannyVdH said:

Specs:

CPU 2.4Ghz Quad core Intel - 4GB ram, 32GB eMMC, Intel UHD Graphics 600, Wifi & Bluetooth, HDMI,

1x USB-C , 2x USB-A 2.0, 3x USB-A 3.0, 1x RJ11 ADAM keyboard, 1x RJ11 ADAMNET Ext, 1x Ethernet ,

1x M.2 Slot, 2x DB9 ADAM Joystick ports, 3.5 Jack Stereo Sound output. 1x Micro SD slot, 1xSD slot, 1x Future expansion slot.

Awesome specs for the new ADAM. Maybe someone will plug in a USB 4K BDXL 128GB Blu-ray drive for data storage one day.

Maybe with a new operating system, new games for the ColecoVision/ADAM can be in true 5.1 PCM  surround sound over HDMI or at the very minimum 2.0 stereo for videogames. Of course all existing games under the ColecoVision/ADAM would be native mono. Would love to see a new 80 column Smartwriter.

On 5/21/2022 at 1:41 PM, DannyVdH said:

ADAM+ the most advanced soft & hardware emulation system.

ADAM+ ADDONS.png

I like the look and idea of your project and wish it well, but if I was you I would steer clear of bombastic statements and mock ups like this one. Especially seeing as you're still at the proto stage and are rather certain to hit some snags with both "hard & software". It's easy to attract a lot of scrutiny and set up yourself for a fall or at least some  negative vibes this way. It's 2022, and we've seen a lot of pie-in-the-sky promising projects, which ultimately either flopped completely or turned out to be much more mundane than the hype would have it.

• Like 1

I would agree. I also tend to read these threads with great enthusiasm, then build it up in my head (and I have a pretty big head). Then when the actual product hits the market I'm rather disappointed.

It's like with the Amico. Seen plenty of demos, plenty of clips, tons of discussion. If and when that system hits the market I'll feel as if I've already been there and done that. Owned the system. Played the games. Now it be like going through the motions.

Another example with emulators would be - I don't read the nightly build notes or pay attention to WIP items much. So when a new version comes out I'm all excited.

Reminds me of the time I got hardware upgrades for my Apple II back in the day. Impromptu hey-let's-do-the-computer-store-today kind of impromptu. I get it (perhaps a modem) home and have all kinds of cool moments of discovery and exploration. Nothing preconceived. Nothing mapped out. And the only thing I may have read in advance might have been a 1 page ad or two. Tops.

• Like 1

I didn't set myself up too much when getting the Atari VCS. I barely knew of it, then it popped up in stores and I happened to get it zero-day I think.  But there was no build up. And as a result it was a blank canvas to draw fun on. And I got new sheets in the form of cartridges every few weeks. Fresh all over again!

The Apple II was slightly different. But I was saved by my green infantile self this time. I had read catalogs and ads and magazines and played some stuff in the stores. But I didn't understand anything. Barely absorbed it. Yet. It was cool. It was also complex enough for me to have a lifetime of fun and good times. So many disciplines and aspects to explore and play in.

Word processing

Mathematical plotting

Programming in Applesoft BASIC and 6502

Games

Modems & BBSes & AE Lines

Copying disks

Learning computing concepts

Learning DOS

Applying digital hardware skills

How to do upgrades

..just so much to do! Each thing being a new surprise.

On the other hand, with Amiga, I had read magazines hyping it to high heaven. And was old enough to understand it all. So when I actually got the Amiga I was miffed and not too thrilled. I kept searching for something to do with it other than what I read about. There wasn't a lot of discovery aside from having hundreds of colors available in PhotonPaint - that was neat.

And getting a PC was like getting the Apple II. Everything was new and unexplored by me, with little preconceived notions about what I was going to be doing with it. I wanted it for high-powered word processing. It didn't disappoint. But that was a strict purchase for utilitarian usages.

I had a side interest in other stuff like astronomy software and fractals and other sciencey things. And those were things to discover. I had no idea where I was going with it all. It was an adventure. And while I didn't intend to get the PC for gaming, it turned out to be the best platform and fit my entertainment needs to a T.

Point being with all this rambling is the best machines were the ones that had stuff to explore. And the ones that made ZERO claims to any kind of greatness or any kind of extraordinary capability had the best features and performance. They. Just. Were.

I understand that all too well. 
You should know that I have many years of experience, I have also done a lot of preparatory 
works that already fulfill a lot of my promise in manual modes. 
I want the outside world to know what I'm doing. You have to inform a lot of people and that's 
exactly what I do, not with false promises, but with really doable tasks.

• Like 1

I currently have a fully manual working system, I've made quite some progress in terms of hardware, 
I also have a full schedule that I stick very closely.
I don't say that there will be things where I have to work hard on, I didn't promise anyone when it's ready.
It will have it's time to develop the whole thing, that's for sure. It's also meant to get feedback from the outside.

IMG_1078.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DannyVdH said:

I understand that all too well. 
You should know that I have many years of experience, I have also done a lot of preparatory 
works that already fulfill a lot of my promise in manual modes. 
I want the outside world to know what I'm doing. You have to inform a lot of people and that's 
exactly what I do, not with false promises, but with really doable tasks.

Amen and Amen!

Everyone has an opinion and everyone has the right to express that opinion and you've already stated that's one of the reasons why you're here. I know you'll glean what you can glean and set aside the rest. You are the one with all the time and investment. It's primarily your risk and of course those who in some form or fashion might invest (monetary or other) prior to production.

The Colecovision/Adam market while growing is still very small compared to the current major players. Of course you have to get the word out. It makes sense to me. I appreciate the updates. I also understand those who are concerned over being let down yet once again. I know the feeling. My thought is: This is your baby. It's your dream. You will do what seems right to you and that's as it should be. Afterall I'm just a guy with a laptop and a console. You're the one doing all the work. However, I also understand that this forum functions as a place for people to think out loud and share their broad ranging views even when they may possibly move outside the range of feedback you were looking for. I'm not saying that they have, but they may.

Personally I say Kudos to you for your project and I look forward to any major updates on it. ?? Your success will be our success. ?