IGNORED

Atari Hockey Pong paddles slightly crawling up and down

Dennis90

I got an Atari Hockey Pong PAL console that works fine, except that both left and right paddles SLIGHTLY like crawls up and down constantly, even when the controllers are untouched, so they never stand still. And yes, I cleaned the pots, and it made no difference, and I also tested to hook up a new and unused pot, but still no difference. I also replaced a 100uf cap, a 4.7uf cap, and also some cheramic disc caps nubered 68, 102 and 104, but still no difference. There are a few more mylar and ceramic caps on the board, but yeah not sure if this will make any difference replacing any more parts, and I don't have replacments for those at the moment. Hope someone here might know what's causing this problem!

I uploaded a video of my problem here now, so yeah this happens even with a new pot attached, so there is no difference with a new one or an old one.

And I also have a photo of the circuit board, the components marked with green did I replace already, and it made no difference.

20220513_001649.jpg

Assuming the console is getting correct power, it's possible the paddles are actually supposed to do that; all of Atari's other Pong games behave similarly. It would be unusual in the case of Hockey Pong, though, since no other AY-3-8500 system has paddle behavior like that to my knowledge, including the Sears version. And without any additional circuitry, I don't know what would generate it. ? 

The manual for the C-121 doesn't appear to mention or describe paddle wobble at all, although IIRC none of the manuals for any of Atari's other games do, either. (Interestingly, though, it does indicate that the Handicap game normally "hidden" in AY-3-8500 units replaces the customary 2-player Handball game as Game #3, making Atari Hockey Pong C-121 one of the only dedicated consoles to feature it!)

In any case, while odd for an AY-3-8500 unit, it doesn't really look like a malfunction or a symptom of failing components. Seems like the paddles would be more erratic if that were the case. So for whatever it's worth, I'd call it a feature and not a bug! ?

Hm, yeah I tested it with an original Atari 2600 AC adapter, which uses 9v, so should work right. And okay, hm...,  not sure what to think XD It seems a bit strange behavior I think tho, hope someone else has the same hockey pong model and can maybe comprare maybe! :) would be nice to know!

And yes, now that you say it, thought that version was strange that one player has an extra paddle, cus yeah my otehr AY chip bassed pong consoles don't have that mode!

On 5/19/2022 at 1:26 AM, Dennis90 said:

...It seems a bit strange behavior I think tho, hope someone else has the same hockey pong model and can maybe comprare maybe! :) would be nice to know!

I have the Sears version. I haven't hooked it up in a while but I don't remember the paddles doing that. Though FWIW the Sears version uses a different power supply with a smaller plug than the standard Atari type--same type as an Odyssey system.

On a related note, I got a(nother) Sears Super Pong Pro-Am system last week and first tested it out with the Atari 2600 power supply I already happened to have handy in my game room, and got the typical "breathing" paddles. Then I hooked it up with the Pong Battery Eliminator it came with, which actually has a lower power rating, and now the paddles mostly stay still. ? I'll have to experiment more with other Atari/Sears systems and power supplies--I'm now wondering if 2600 supplies actually slightly "overdrive" Pong systems and cause the wiggling paddles. 

Have you tried using batteries with your Hockey Pong instead of an AC adapter?

Yeah I noticed the socket for the AC/DC adapter was to small to fit an Atari 2600 power supply, but I hooked it up with crocodile clips directly to the PCB when I took it apart.

Hm... maybe I should try it with batteries and see if it makes any difference then, had not been able to test it yet, the plastic thing that holds the batteries in place was broken, but yeah, will probably be able to just tape it together for a quick test and see what happens, and hope I have some good batteries to test with, not sure I have any good ones at the moment unfortunatley, but I see, thanks for the tip! :)