IGNORED

New Game: Dungeoneer

3 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

130XE normal BIOS, U1M, SIDE 3 although I'm not running the game from SIDE 3 just from the DOS prompt

Does it with PAL or NTSC selected

This is what I see when I run it under Altirra, some of my system configuration screens as well.  I did notice that every once in a while Altirra will boot up a bit oddly, but I figured that was due to me running a Windows binary of Altirra through wine (a bit of Inception).

altirra1.png

altirra2.png

altirra3.png

First of all thanks for sharing your game and also its source so with time you can review and understand some things that I never understood how to do. how to control the PM with background walls.?

I was impressed by some things in your game for example the GAME OVER screen, the secret passages and the difficulty that with a little practice and patience can be solved.?

secret.png.21549a3e373ea827f5d2f75d9236b863.png

end.png.57df420d60f1d1589294241bc76977c2.png

I hope you don't lose the desire to continue developing games in ATARI.?

2 minutes ago, ascrnet said:

First of all thanks for sharing your game and also its source so with time you can review and understand some things that I never understood how to do. how to control the PM with background walls.?

I was impressed by some things in your game for example the GAME OVER screen, the secret passages and the difficulty that with a little practice and patience can be solved.?

secret.png.21549a3e373ea827f5d2f75d9236b863.png

end.png.57df420d60f1d1589294241bc76977c2.png

I hope you don't lose the desire to continue developing games in ATARI.?

Sure thing, thank you so much for playing through it. If you ever have any questions please feel free to reach out.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 12:04 PM, godlikemouse said:

Hi everyone,

I used to program on the Atari computers when I was a kid, I used BASIC back in the day but of course found it extremely limited.  Recently, I wanted to revisit the Atari and decided to learn 6502 assembler.  To help learn, I decided to build a game.  I'd like to share it with everyone here and see what you think.  I've attached the game (dungeoneer.xex) to this post.  You can find all the source code here as well if you're interested in how it was done: https://github.com/godlikemouse/atari-1200xl-asm

I'd also like to give a big shout out to Ed Salisbury who put together a YouTube channel that initially helped me get started.  You can learn more about that here:
http://youtube.com/MissionEdPossible

Thanks and enjoy!

screen1.png

dungeoneer.xex 26.74 kB · 220 downloads

Does it require extra memory? Doesn't seem to want to work on my stock 800xl.

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, cx2k said:

Doesn't seem to want to work on my stock 800xl.

Seems odd, how are to loading it?

Altirra shows the load blocks as follows and that shouldn't interfere with anything.

EXE: Loading program 0006-0084 to 0600-067E
EXE: Loading program 0089-1C46 to 2000-3BBD
EXE: Loading program 1C4B-6AF5 to 5000-9EAA
EXE: Launching at 0600

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, cx2k said:

Does it require extra memory? Doesn't seem to want to work on my stock 800xl.

Thanks.

It shouldn't, I haven't done anything that should require additional memory.  Can I ask what you're seeing and how are you invoking it?

1 hour ago, godlikemouse said:

It shouldn't, I haven't done anything that should require additional memory.  Can I ask what you're seeing and how are you invoking it?

@Wrathchild @godlikemouse  Running off of AtariMax SIO2USB. You can run XEX files by putting them into a folder and then pointing D1: to the folder which loads the files into a menu. When I select Dungeoneer, it seems to load but then just stops, nothing on screen.

Thanks for any help.

The game worked great for me on my NTSC XEGS system with Ultimate Cart. I did have a screen redraw problem on the startup screen. The first time I loaded the game, I only saw “New ga”. However, going into “How to play” and exiting to the main screen solved the problem. 

I did not see the screen corruption that @TGB1718 saw. However, I loaded the XEX file directly from the Ultimate Cart and dos not load it from any DOS. 

I still can’t get past level 3 (stupid spikes!), but that’s because I’m not a great player. The collision detection looks good and the game has a good “I’ll try it just one more time feel” to it. 

Especially for a first time assembly language effort, you should be proud of the game. 

Bob C

You are using an XEX loader in the max that may get in the way of the program, Each of these devices have their own flavor of loader... and they are not intelligent about it, that's why and AVG cart will load some things with it's built in loader or may only load something using the side loader instead or better yet using it's SIO cord bypassing all of those issues.

check you sdrive settings and firmware level, try again or put the xex on an atr with a compatible DOS and load it that way. No one can program around the limitations of all know devices and their inherent divisor settings of other issues (sio caps etc.)

so you will need to check it all out and make sure its all the latest updated and set correctly and sometimes just choose another container/loading method as suggested

• Like 1

4 hours ago, darwinmac said:

The game worked great for me on my NTSC XEGS system with Ultimate Cart. I did have a screen redraw problem on the startup screen. The first time I loaded the game, I only saw “New ga”. However, going into “How to play” and exiting to the main screen solved the problem. 

I did not see the screen corruption that @TGB1718 saw. However, I loaded the XEX file directly from the Ultimate Cart and dos not load it from any DOS. 

I still can’t get past level 3 (stupid spikes!), but that’s because I’m not a great player. The collision detection looks good and the game has a good “I’ll try it just one more time feel” to it. 

Especially for a first time assembly language effort, you should be proud of the game. 

Bob C

Thank you for the info on the loader, I would not have known to suggest that. I've also heard from a few different people that the initial screen sometimes gets corrupted. I'll look into that and see what's causing it, I myself haven't experienced it but I might be able to reproduce it under certain circumstances.

Also, thank you for playing my game. :)

40 minutes ago, CMR said:

Awesome game.  I played it on the mister core and also got a glitched title screen, but on the second play through it was fixed.

Thank you for giving my game a try. I'll look into the glitched title screen and find out what's going on there. I mainly use the Atari800 emulator being that I'm on Linux. I haven't seen the corrupt title screen, but I'll try to reproduce it and fix it if I can.

28 minutes ago, Poison said:

Hi, we found a bug. When we came back from right way screen with key, hero appeared on the left side way and he can not leave this space.

20220529_075524.jpg

Thank you for testing this and letting me know.  I'll see if I can reproduce this issue and fix it.

@godlikemouse  Looking forward to checking this out when I can as I am away from my A8s and don't have Altirra installed on this laptop.

Well done.?

I've checked out the Youtube vid. What I am most pleased to see is it has smooth character movement. I love the likes of Boulderdash for example (one of my fav A8 titles). However, - and forgive my ignorance for the method employed in the engine - but Boulderdash is tiled block/character based - and as such the main character jerks slowly block to block as he moves. (As do enemies, etc). This for me always slightly hindered the flow and gameplay for me. So to see your game engine with fluid and fast animation is great. 

Just curious - do you plan to release an editor so others can make their own levels?

17 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

@godlikemouse  Looking forward to checking this out when I can as I am away from my A8s and don't have Altirra installed on this laptop.

Well done.?

I've checked out the Youtube vid. What I am most pleased to see is it has smooth character movement. I love the likes of Boulderdash for example (one of my fav A8 titles). However, - and forgive my ignorance for the method employed in the engine - but Boulderdash is tiled block/character based - and as such the main character jerks slowly block to block as he moves. (As do enemies, etc). This for me always slightly hindered the flow and gameplay for me. So to see your game engine with fluid and fast animation is great. 

Just curious - do you plan to release an editor so others can make their own levels?

Hi @Beeblebrox, thank you.  The levels can be edited by using "tiled" map editor.  But there is no direct formal support other than downloading and recompiling the source.  When maps are modified, the map attributes will also need to be updated for key location, transfer tiles, etc. so that's a bit larger of a job altogether.  However, please feel free to grab the source and map levels, I would love to see what you come up with and I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.  Thanks again.

For those of you who are experiencing an issue with the main menu screen showing up broken or corrupted like @CMR and @darwinmac, would you mind downloading and trying the xex (dungeoneer.xex) file attached to this post?  I've added a first vblank initializer to try and delay the first draw of the main menu screen.  I believe the issue may be related to PMG trying to render before the vblank was actual ready under certain circumstances.  The only time I could reproduce the issue was running Altirra under wine on Linux.  This fix seemed to have addressed the issue from what I could tell.  Please let me know if this issue persists and I will continue to try and figure it out, thanks.

dungeoneer.xex

5 minutes ago, godlikemouse said:

For those of you who are experiencing an issue with the main menu screen showing up broken or corrupted like @CMR and @darwinmac, would you mind downloading and trying the xex (dungeoneer.xex) file attached to this post? 

I will do my best to try it tomorrow. As I said, the main menu screen corruption wasn’t consistent so I may not be able to prove that this fixes it. It doesn’t affect the game so it isn’ta big deal for me either way. 

Bob C

2 hours ago, godlikemouse said:

would you mind downloading and trying the xex (dungeoneer.xex) file attached to this post?

Still corrupt for me.

I did run it by booting of a SDX 3.2 disk and it ran fine, so maybe some conflict with U1M/SDX built in/SIDE 3