IGNORED

Does flattening boxes lower their value?

Propane13

I've flattened some boxes for storage purposes and haven't noticed any issues related to it. Like @CapitanClassic said, it seems like this would protect them from getting crushed.

But I'm sure there's someone out there who insists he can tell the difference between a box that has been flattened and one that hasn't and insist the flattened one is "ruined."

One problem with flattening boxes and long term storage is that most people really pack 'em in so tight, that they can and do leave marks and impressions. Think ring wear on LPs. And then there's always the person that stacks one atop the other and places somewhere inappropriate like an attic or garage where the boxes end up warped, dished, ink bleed onto the adjacent box and moldy - yep, seen it all!

As a collector with hundreds of boxed games, I wouldn't bother or dream of flattening boxes myself. I'm of the mind that if you can't display or keep them nearby for easy access anytime soon - may as well sell 'em. Or store them as-is without stacking. You know... placed on their sides or ends. The way you prefer people send multiple boxed games so that the bottom game doesn't end up crushed, which is all too common. ?

Anyway, if you insist on flattening, I'd just heed some of the advice above to avoid future disappointment.  ?

• Like 2

All of my boxes that can be flattened have been for denser storage. Everything has been packed away for some 25 years, so I cannot comment on their current condition. Note that some boxed games were purchased at yard sales, etc. so they were not in pristine condition when I acquired them. I have no interest in selling anything.   

On 5/30/2022 at 8:58 AM, jhd said:

All of my boxes that can be flattened have been for denser storage. Everything has been packed away for some 25 years, so I cannot comment on their current condition. Note that some boxed games were purchased at yard sales, etc. so they were not in pristine condition when I acquired them. I have no interest in selling anything.   

Be careful what you say. If you keep your collection packed away for much longer, someone's going to show up and make a documentary about excavating it. :D

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Chris+++ said:

Be careful what you say. If you keep your collection packed away for much longer, someone's going to show up and make a documentary about excavating it. :D

Happily, I have just (as of last Saturday) purchased a new SUV so I now have the capability of moving my boxes from their long resting place to my apartment. I should note that I only moved back here last Fall after an absence of 23 years...

For security reasons, the key to the storage facility was held by a third-party who is now quite possibly deceased, so it looks like we may need to cut the lock to gain access.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jhd said:

Happily, I have just (as of last Saturday) purchased a new SUV so I now have the capability of moving my boxes from their long resting place to my apartment. I should note that I only moved back here last Fall after an absence of 23 years...

For security reasons, the key to the storage facility was held by a third-party who is now quite possibly deceased, so it looks like we may need to cut the lock to gain access.  

Glad to hear you're able to retrieve them! Sorry to hear about the loss of your acquaintance.

• 3 weeks later...

Keep in mind that the flattening process in and of itself will add wear to the boxes. Not considerable wear, assuming you're gentle about it, but realistically, we're dealing with paper boxes that are 40ish years old, so every time you open the top and bottom flaps, you're at risk of some additional creasing occurring, etc. That said, you do you!

• Like 1