IGNORED

There's a Mimic Spartan on ebay now..

Well right now its in the resting period, "oh" and "98" were in a bidding battle. I bet some interloper will snipe it. Because what's the point of bidding? Bids only serve to inflate the price. I'm personally not interested in paying for someone else's interest in anything.

• Like 1

Yes I would tend to agree.

I wonder if this played games (I'm sure it did) because the box doesn't make mention of them. The emphasis seemed on business productivity and education.

And quite amusing to see the two interested bidders smartened up and stopped bidding. Love watching the tension build. Better than a game of baseball!

Seems oh could've gotten for around 2500 if they'd've just snipped at the end like required today. $1100 could'a been saved. Not a lot, but at least a night on the town. I suppose after considering the mentality of the types that chase after impractical niche hardware it makes sense.

There's all kinds of stupidity wafting in the breeze. I spent $210 so I could get a warranty card. I scanned it and now it sits decaying. Eventually it'll be thrown out. Not $3,000 dumb, but still dumb.

Furthermore. If the Mimic buyer is going to use it, it's still a rather clumsy solution. Impractical and full of caveats. More likely it'll sit on a shelf. Maybe rot a little more. Be used in a lording-over brag session against other collectors.

• Haha 1

I think it would be an interesting device for someone who wants to deeply investigate and document the unique parts of the hardware, but for general, casual use I agree it's far from ideal. One handy thing about it at least is that it doesn't technically require interfacing with a C=64 to be used. I saw one for sale a few months back that had been hand-wired to operate independently.

As for spending big buck$ on silly, weird junks, I've done that myself numerous times in aid of my Supervision & game.com websites. Thankfully I generally resell said overpriced junks for profit once I'm done with them.

13 hours ago, Keatah said:

Investigate and document parts of what hardware?

The one we're discussing: Spartan. In addition to software & hardware compatibility testing, which would be a fun experiment for someone like me who enjoys a good challenge, the Spartan can supposedly pull off a few unique, non-Apple II tricks of its own. These have yet to be fully explored and shared w/the community. And sadly they may never be, if all people do is buy these machines to plop them on a shelf and forget about 'em.

5 hours ago, RobertB said:

Heh, I should dig out my Spartan and show it off at CLASS 2022.

It would also be nice if you could kindly post a video or two of it in operation, esp. if you have the original software it shipped with.

Edited by DeathAdderSF

On 6/8/2022 at 6:24 AM, DeathAdderSF said:

It would also be nice if you could kindly post a video or two of it in operation, esp. if you have the original software it shipped with.

I don't have the software for it, and the machine itself has a buggy power supply.  I haven't given it over to my friend, who can repair Apple II computers, and with the show so close, there is no time now.  I've been told that the internal p.s. is exactly the same as the Apple II p.s., but the Spartan requires more power.

Truly,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan

June 25-26 Commodore Los Angeles Super Show 2022 - http://www.portcommodore.com/class

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, RobertB said:

Ack!  The Mimic Systems' Spartan is out, because I couldn't dig it out of deep storage in time.  In its place is the Commodore 64 Games System.

Will give you time to work up an even better exhibit for next time.  That games system is pretty cool, too.  I have never seen one of those.