IGNORED

VRGE 2022: Vancouver Retro Gaming Expo

Had a great time at the Vancouver Retro Gaming Expo! Was fortunate to meet up with @Lathe26 and got to join him for poutine lunch (I think his Montreal Smoked Meat poutine was better than my Jambalaya poutine) and then for the $4 donuts. A highlight was when someone (who @Lathe26 knows) saw me in my @Papa Pete shirt he started singing the intro tune. So, you were there in spirit, Pete!

I didn't get any Intellivision stuff (there isn't too much left on my list) but I got 4 NES games (highlights: Mega Man 4, Journey to Silius), 4 Wii games (nothing special...Phantom Brave: We Meet Again) and a stack of 10 very clean PS3 games from the "all games are $2" table.

We also had a nice chat with @swlovinist about keeping things positive in the Intellivision community.

My feet hurt, but it was nice to get out to an expo again. Has me looking forward to the insanity of PRGE.

EDIT: Pic includes an Inty game that was planned for a trade for someone who wasn't able to make it.
VRGE.thumb.jpg.73820c07a436e3edf74c1436932c6873.jpg

Edited by BigDumer
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, BigDumer said:

Had a great time at the Vancouver Retro Gaming Expo! Was fortunate to meet up with @Lathe26 and got to join him for poutine lunch (I think his Montreal Smoked Meat poutine was better than my Jambalaya poutine) and then for the $4 donuts. A highlight was when someone (who @Lathe26 knows) saw me in my @Papa Pete shirt he started singing the intro tune. So, you were there in spirit, Pete!

I didn't get any Intellivision stuff (there isn't too much left on my list) but I got 4 NES games (highlights: Mega Man 4, Journey to Silius), 4 Wii games (nothing special...Phantom Brave: We Meet Again) and a stack of 10 very clean PS3 games from the "all games are $2" table.

We also had a nice chat with @swlovinist about keeping things positive in the Intellivision community.

My feet hurt, but it was nice to get out to an expo again. Has me looking forward to the insanity of PRGE.

EDIT: Pic includes an Inty game that was planned for a trade for someone who wasn't able to make it.
imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68VRGE.thumb.jpg.73820c07a436e3edf74c1436932c6873.jpg

Glad you had a good time.  I'm jealous.  Nice pickups!  Rev had an underpriced copy of Secret Files: Tunguska in his booth at PRGE a few years back.  I should have bought it.  I'll be on the hunt for some Wii games at PRGE.  I'm still looking for a few big hitters for my Wii collection.

• Like 3

Video of the Homebrew Game Development panel talk from Saturday at the 2022 Vancouver Retro Gaming Expo has just been posted!

Thank you so much to David Galloway @djmips, Daniel Savage and Brian Provinciano for being on the panel and sharing their knowledge and experience about developing homebrew games!

It's was an incredible experience moderating the talk and meeting all three of them in person!

- James

• Like 2

On 6/25/2022 at 10:04 PM, Lathe26 said:

Apologies to @ZeroPage Homebrew, I missed your talk due to having been randomly selected to take a COVID test.  Thus, you can... wait for it... Blame Canada (South Park song starts playing ?).

Oh no! That sucks about the random test throwing your schedule off, so sorry you weren't able to stay for the talk. Just posted the video above so you'll still be able to watch! ?

14 hours ago, swlovinist said:

I had a great time at the expo, and was nice to see many AA members there too.   I have gone to this expo every year but one, and enjoy it very much.   I found some crazy stuff, fair prices, and friendly vendors.   

Great to talk to you there as well John and thanks also staying for my panel and participating in the Q&A!

- James

• Like 2

I didn't expect the VRGE to be so big (or have such a nice venue) and it was packed.

Way more young people there than I remember being at the Portland show I made it to. It will be interesting to see what this year's PGRE looks like.

It was great hanging out with Lathe26 and BigDumer and meeting swlovinist. It would have been nice to meet more local Intellivision guys but hopefully that'll happen in October.

I've had lots of friends over the years who are into classic gaming, but the only people I've been able to talk to about Intellivision irl have been my family. Meeting more Intellivision fans is the main draw for me at these shows.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Black_Tiger said:

I've been able to talk to about Intellivision irl have been my family. Meeting more Intellivision fans is the main draw for me at these shows.

I hope you don't get overwhelmed by the amount of Inty fans you will meet at PRGE. :) 

I wonder if anyone was smart enough to buy that rare French Canadian version of blockade runner? Super hard to get (especially with the French manual).

I totally would have picked up that French Canadian Dreadnaught Factor as well. 

:)

Edited by Kamikazi26

13 minutes ago, Kamikazi26 said:

I wonder if anyone was smart enough to buy that rare French Canadian version of blockade runner? Super hard to get (especially with the French manual).

I totally would have picked up that French Canadian Dreadnaught Factor as well. 

:)

Lathe said the Dreadnaught didn't have a manual and was $80