IGNORED

Clean cartridge labels without damaging?

Propane13

Hello!  I'm pretty sure this topic comes up on occasion, but I couldn't find it after a few searches, so I figured I'd just ask so someone can point me in the right direction.

What is the best way to clean cartridge labels without damaging them?  Dry cloth?  Cloth with the slightest bit of water?  Some sort of Pledge or Windex?  I don't want to damage anything, so I figured I'd ask the experts.

Thanks!

Depends on the label. Some inks are affected differently than others by water, alcohol, goo gone, whatever. Same for the glues. You might be able to put together some rules of thumb based on manufacturer, but even then, there are probably variations since they may have used different vendors at various times. Good luck.

The general rule of paper/art conservation is to start with water and then work-up to stronger solvents if necessary. Alcohol or ammonia-based solvents is almost guaranteed to remove the ink and maybe even the glue.

Are the cartridges just dusty? Were they soaked in mud or grease? At some point the best idea may be to print a replacement label.  

Personally, I would be reluctant to use anything other than a dry cloth for fear of damaging the fragile labels. 

Some labels still have a nice gloss to them, and you can use a slightly damp wet wipe (I take one out, leave it out for like 20 minutes before using). But only if needed, generally a soft record player cloth will work well to wipe dust and such. For absorbent paper labels you have to be SUPER careful, even water will make them look worse when you are done. However, if needed, I'll use water on them carefully, depends where you are starting from, really. 

• Like 1