IGNORED

Dual PIII Xeon 500

BigO

Anybody around Phoenix interested in a Dell Precision 610? Dual PIII Xeon 500 Mhz, 100 Mhz FSB. 1 GB RAM (supports ECC, but this is non-ECC). 2 SCSI HDs 9GB, 18GB.

Originally marketed as CAD workstation.

Have run Win98, Win2K. Currently loaded with Win2K server.

Pulled video card for another project after reloading.

Take it before it goes to the recycler.

Heavy beast. Local pick up only in Phoenix, AZ.

(Cross posted)

Edited by BigO
Correct autocorrect FSB/USB

I had a intel Core (maybe core2)  era version of one of these in 2021, it was fun, but more in a server / compiler / 2 and 3d cad kind of fun ... If one slapped a pretty decent video card for the era it would make a good gaming machine for 98 / 2000

I'm not much of a PC gamer so never really invested in a video card. I bought it used from a "computer surplus" place so they probably robbed it if it ever had a good video card. I assume if it really was a CAD workstation it probably had a better card then.

Upon first sight, I remember thinking the processors were comically large. I guess it's mostly about heat dissipation.

• 5 weeks later...

eh shame, but its hard to get those big heavy work horses gone, as far as the graphics cards in "cad workstations" most OEM's are pretty crap. I saw a fairly recent dell percision desktop float though work as no one wanted a half tower space heater, It was something like a 6th gen i7 equivalent of a xeon 16 gigs of ram (on a single stick, cause dell doesn't believe in dual channel memory)  and a Nvidia Quadro card, which was a geforce GT730 with a bit more ram and whatever magic pixie dust they sprinkle in the bios to make it "different"

its similar to my "cad workstation" laptop I have at work, its a nothing special 9th gen intel i7 with an ATI Fire GL graphics system which is equivalent to a potato, I once worked all day in solidworks with it (unintentionally)  disabled and using intel integrated graphics, and didnt notice until I loaded in a couple fully modeled PCI-e cards and the graphics choked to a crawl lol

Edited by Osgeld