IGNORED

Pitfall 2 Arcade (Pitfall II - Lost Caverns Hack)

alfredtdk

PITFALL 2 ARCADE (NTSC) ?

A few months ago I started this Pitfall 2 hack to bring it a little closer to SEGA's Arcade version. This project of mine has stagnated, there are still many things to be done, parts of the scenarios still need to be finalized in colors. I can't, for example, change the colors of some rocks and tree trunks, in Stella's debugger the colors of rocks and tree trunks are identified as pattern 12, I already changed them all and it had no effect, unless the their standard is another. Anyone who wants to help finish this hack feel free to make the necessary changes and post the hacked ROM right here in this topic, I appreciate it. I hope we can also make a PAL version.
For now I make the unfinished version available for those who want to check it out, there is still a lot to be done and improved. Thanks

Captura de tela_2022-06-26_20-20-34.png

Captura de tela_2022-06-26_20-21-18.png

Captura de tela_2022-06-26_20-19-51.png

Pitfall II - Arcade Lost Caverns.bin

Edited by alfredtdk
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, LatchKeyKid said:

Is there a disassembled and commented version?  I found that to be a big help with the original Pitfall.  I found out how to change the climbing sprite pants colors for Harry that previously gave us problems (besides just turning it black and white like I did in my Purgatory hack).

I believe there is a disassembled version of the final version, but I still can't say for sure. What I do know is that it looks like a faulty Beta version has been dismantled, there is even a topic where this was well discussed.

• Like 1

For me at my current programming level (zero!), I definitely need one with the helpful descriptions next to it.  I didn't realize the gameplay was so different for the sequel.  Are you supposed to be able to duck down to avoid the bird to the right?  It seems like the only option is to fall into the ladder hole.  I also can't seem to jump over the rat and he keeps pushing me back into the water.  Does the sequel have powerups for new abilities like jumping higher or ducking?

43 minutes ago, LatchKeyKid said:

For me at my current programming level (zero!), I definitely need one with the helpful descriptions next to it.  I didn't realize the gameplay was so different for the sequel.  Are you supposed to be able to duck down to avoid the bird to the right?  It seems like the only option is to fall into the ladder hole.  I also can't seem to jump over the rat and he keeps pushing me back into the water.  Does the sequel have powerups for new abilities like jumping higher or ducking?

The gameplay in general is different from the first game, however Harry has practically the same moves, except when he is in the water or taking a balloon ride, to pass under birds or bats there is the right moment, you need to calculate when these creatures are at a higher level.

There is no way to get past the mouse, it blocks the way. The only way to catch the mouse is to go all the way and before rescuing your pet you must go to the right and the mouse will be on its back for you helpless.

There are no powerups. You can accumulate treasures and rescue your child and your pet who got lost in underground caves.

Edited by alfredtdk
  • Like 1

PITFALL 2 - ARCADE VERSION REVISED (NTSC) ?

This is a clean, revised and bug free version. Bats, birds, scorpions and the balloon with new colors. Harry's new animation as he picks up the balloon, his expression is still pale, but his posture is closer to the Arcade version.

Captura de tela_2022-06-28_22-11-49.png

Captura de tela_2022-06-28_22-59-01.png

Captura de tela_2022-06-28_22-58-44.png

Captura de tela_2022-06-28_22-58-15.png

Captura de tela_2022-06-28_22-57-49.png

Captura de tela_2022-06-28_22-57-14.png

Captura de tela_2022-06-28_22-56-54.png

Pitfall II - Arcade Version Revised.bin

PITFALL 2 ARCADE - PURPLE SOIL (NTSC) ?

Obviously not everything can be brought from Arcade to a hack version, but I also wanted to bring the purple soil, present in some parts of the Arcade game. I think it fits better with SEGA's Harry aesthetic, but that's just my opinion. The bat and scorpion have been changed to a lighter color. The frog  now and brown with big white pupils.

Captura de tela_2022-06-29_20-01-19.png

Captura de tela_2022-06-29_19-52-44.png

Captura de tela_2022-06-29_19-45-33.png

Captura de tela_2022-06-29_19-43-23.png

Captura de tela_2022-06-29_20-00-49.png

Captura de tela_2022-06-29_20-02-01.png

Pitfall II Arcade - Purple Soil.bin

Edited by alfredtdk

9 hours ago, LatchKeyKid said:

Where the enemy/obstacle sprites different in the home version as well as Harry?  I like the purple soil palatte as it kind of makes it seem likes it's happening at sunset/beginning of the night.

The Arcade version of SEGA released in 1985 and a mix of Pitfall 1 and 2, the only home port was released for the SG-1000, a decent port, by the way. Obviously the Arcade motherboard had graphics and sound capabilities ahead of the 2600 hardware. With this additional capability it was possible to redo the original game's stages with much more detail and expanding it far beyond what the original 2600 could offer. There are stages where Harry uses a mine cart on monorails, the game is not easy and he has few lives to reach the end.
Many want, myself included, an Arcade homebrew for the 2600.
For more game information.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitfall_II:_Lost_Caverns

The enemies of the Arcade version have much more details and movements than the original version of the 2600. It doesn't seem to be possible to edit the enemies / obstacles on the 2600, as I have already analyzed the code and haven't found them, it may be that in the programming they are missiles and no sprites. Missiles as we know it is not possible to edit them because they are only one pixel. The only editable elements/sprites are the Harry character and the balloon. I'm glad you liked the purple tone of the soil, I wanted to apply it all over the environment, rocks, the dark sky, but the result is not very satisfactory, there are some gaps that need to be fixed in the code.
It really is a unique game, very well programmed, it uses a special chip to generate graphics and sound.

• Like 1

PITFALL 2 ARCADE - PURPLE SOIL REVISED (NTSC) ?

What's new?

Fixed a bug in the balloon.
Scoreboard blue tint darkened.
Harry's face with a new color.
Open forest passage with a new shade of blue.
All purple soils share the same color.

blood red color on the balloon cord.

Captura de tela_2022-07-01_01-48-35.png

Captura de tela_2022-07-01_01-49-25.png

Captura de tela_2022-07-01_01-50-13.png

Captura de tela_2022-07-01_01-50-36.png

Pitfall II Arcade - Purple Soil Revised.bin

Edited by alfredtdk