IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

2 hours ago, gaterooze_ink said:

Well, mine were just quick prototypes using stock assets and only a single level, so it's not really fair to compare. Although given the Amico games only had about 10-20 simple levels, and in the case of Astrosmash and Shark! Shark! essentially being single-screen, I'd estimate about 3-4 months (plus some extra time for QA & localization) to do those to the same level for an experienced designer/coder plus ~3 freelancers, albeit working flat-out without interruption. Skiing could be a little longer (maybe an extra month or so, hard to tell as I haven't seen as much of it) since the levels are more involved. Note that I am not disparaging the creators of those games at all (I think they all did a good job and are far better developers than me!), I suspect the lengthy time was due to the incomplete system firmware/OS (as per the Back Talk Party developer's interview), Tommy's insistence of personal involvement, and Intellivision's QA being stretched over so many games and with turnaround delays due to the first two reasons I stated, creating a huge bottleneck where developers were just waiting around most of the time.

Anyway, here are the "parody" games:

Hatersmash

Hater! Hater!

Hater Piste (skiing)

[a minigame based on a CUPodcast imaginary game title] Hans's 10 Levels Of Government Funding

Great info, thanks!

Now where is Hate Stalker?!?!?

?

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, mr_me said:

I doubt most Republic/Fig investors care about the name, same goes for most of the founding partners and directors who invested in it.  Two of them for sure care very much about it.

Please stop spreading misinformation. Coleco and Atari have never used those. Unless it is in the same alternate universe in which you think IE magically passed their FCC certs.

1 hour ago, Matt_B said:

The A500 Mini is also the second console from RGL during the pandemic. They also gave us TheVIC20, which was announced just after the launch of the Amico and delivered around six months later.

Still, those guys obviously know what they're doing, so it's a bit unfair to compare them with the Amico. ?

True that. But my point was that in making concessions in order to release product, all of these companies are off and running so to speak.

RGL basically acquired an overnight free work force. Hacking threads abound on EAB and much of that work has now been integrated into the product. It also served to draw previously unknown talented people out of the woodwork, etc. You don't have to release your ultimate dream. Dreams can actually develop over time, but not if you never release a product. btw-that particular product became fastest U.K. seller in a 1 week time period for this year 2022 to date.

Interesting data

Edited by number6
added source
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Please stop spreading mrinformation. Coleco and Atari have never used those. Unless it is in the same alternate universe in which you think IE magically passed their FCC certs.

Fixed that for you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

20 minutes ago, CurlyQ said:

I'll take credit for the Shifty Eyed Dealer artwork but that particular image is not my handiwork.

Most of the box art t-shirt image scans were of suspect quality. The project was more of a restoration/refurbishing of the original art. You'll notice that the text "Mattel Electronics" was removed citing licensing infringement.

I wanted to create a George Plimpton shirt but that would have required permission from his estate which may have proven difficult to procure.

IE doesn't really seem to concerned about asking people for permission or using artwork they don't own. So you probably could have.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, number6 said:

True that. But my point was that in making concessions in order to release product, all of these companies are off and running so to speak.

RGL basically acquired an overnight free work force. Hacking threads abound on EAB and much of that work has now been integrated into the product. It also served to draw previously unknown talented people out of the woodwork, etc. You don't have to release your ultimate dream. Dreams can actually develop over time, but not if you never release a product. btw-that particular product became faster seller in a 1 week time period ever for this year 2022 to date.

That's how they always worked, mind you. It's not like they changed tack when the pandemic hit.

I suppose it's always left them open to the criticism that you could make something far more capable yourself with a Raspberry Pi and free software. However, most of the people who buy these things either wouldn't know how, couldn't be bothered or just like collecting mini consoles as knickknacks. It's clearly a business model that works and they're sticking to it.

1 hour ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

It seems very strange for a litigation-happy former CEO to freely use others' copywritten[sic] materials for marketing.

Wants it both ways obviously. He isn't above using other people's work to promote himself. 

Heck just look at the whole 'Oof' thing. He claims to be creator. He isn't, and it is Joey K who made the sound in Messiah. Mark Miller might have worked for Tallarico Studios but that doesn't mean Tommy did the music. 

Screenshot_20220729-075405_YouTube.thumb.jpg.b32e8a6d0b930e2201d4a0dbb30301e8.jpg

Anything to make himself look better over others.

• Like 2

Brief talk of Amico here. 

There is some Dolphin Quest footage out there. You can see some of it here. 

They also talked that the Amico Forever said there was good news soon. My guess is they know they are going to be getting their production test units to rub in the face of all the people who have paid and got nothing, or can't get their promised refund.

8 hours ago, atarifan88 said:

@MrBeefy if I were you, I would make that my avatar! Curly strikes again!

@MrBeefy I see what you did there with the animated scrolling numbers in your avatar.

founders-patch-numbers-animation.gif.8cbb00beb6befb8747e7145cb1752406.gif

You might have to add a 6,7,8,9 sooner or later. :lolblue:

The Founders Edition animation was originally created for the user @LePionnier from the defunct Q&A Thread. He had some nifty preconceived notions of a re-imaged Lock 'N' Chase game for the Amico.

The Founders Edition patch had two brothers, the VIP and OG Editions.

Amico-Founders-Patch-animation.gif.f88600606c97061bcb2ed01e6215b189.gifAmico-VIP-Patch-animation.gif.9db3d21e7b3255c9584ea03c6a121c3e.gifAmico-OG-Patch-animation.gif.d48d2466070e8c05411113633426ecbc.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, CurlyQ said:

@MrBeefy I see what you did there with the animated scrolling numbers in your avatar.

founders-patch-numbers-animation.gif.8cbb00beb6befb8747e7145cb1752406.gif

You might have to add a 6,7,8,9 sooner or later. :lolblue:

The Founders Edition animation was originally created for the user @LePionnier from the defunct Q&A Thread. He had some nifty preconceived notions of a re-imaged Lock 'N' Chase game for the Amico.

The Founders Edition patch had two brothers, the VIP and OG Editions.

Amico-Founders-Patch-animation.gif.f88600606c97061bcb2ed01e6215b189.gifAmico-VIP-Patch-animation.gif.9db3d21e7b3255c9584ea03c6a121c3e.gifAmico-OG-Patch-animation.gif.d48d2466070e8c05411113633426ecbc.gif

I know! Thankfully I have some time on this one yet.

I guess I should have a phoney hater Edition patch since that's what Tommy would call me. ?

• Haha 4

Phil Adams is as honest as TT.

https://www.timeextension.com/news/2022/07/intellivision-amico-isnt-dead-claims-head-of-stainless-games

In terms of what’s happening with Intellivision, I did actually talk to their CEO Phil Adam only last week. He confirmed that everything is still set to happen, despite all the setbacks and problems.

The rumours of them closing their offices were overblown – everybody was working from home anyway due to Covid, so Phil couldn’t see the point of paying for office space.

Phil’s a close friend so I trust him. The public message from Intellivision that they’re not dead and it’s still happening is genuinely what their intention is internally.

TT had videos showing their great office space and everyone working in the office. PA is now saying they were working from home since Covid started and thus do not need the offices.

Of course it all makes sense. You need offices when there is a Covid shutdown.  You do not need offices when everything has opened up and folks are going back to the office.  My head does not hurt when I look at it that way.

We’d love to see Missile Command see the light of day as it’s a great game. We’d also like to finish Liars’ Dice. Obviously nothing is ongoing at the moment for the Amico as we need to see if Phil & co. manage to pull it off. If they do though, then yes, the intention is to do further work.

It's looking positive now!

Edited by rayik
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, rayik said:

Phil Adams is as honest as TT.

https://www.timeextension.com/news/2022/07/intellivision-amico-isnt-dead-claims-head-of-stainless-games

TT had videos showing their great office space and everyone working in the office. PA is now saying they were working from home since Covid started and thus do not need the offices.

Of course it all makes sense. You need offices when there is a Covid shutdown.  You do not need offices when everything has opened up and folks are going back to the office.  My head does not hurt when I look at it that way.

It's looking positive now!

Change the story for what is most convenient to make it look like things are great. I can't wait for when it ships busted and they have no one around to update the firmware or anything.

You grow when you launch a product, not shrink. They are doing things ass backwards and trying to convince sheep that is normal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

Ahh, the killer app Liar's Dice, just like Farkle, I will CLEARLY pay $300 for the revocable license to be able to play it, as compared to the non-revocable, assignable, and permanent ability to play for $5 in dice at Walmart....

Yeah, even if the Amico had come out on time with the promised fifty games, the launch library would still have looked like someone came up with it by throwing darts at a wall blindfold.

I can get that there's place for $5 dice games and their like on consoles that have shifted the thick end of a hundred million units and have libraries going into the thousands of more conventional fare. They're just not something that anyone's likely to shell out the price of an entirely new system for.

• Like 4