IGNORED

Invitation to the launch of the MIDICar Player

PeBe

I will let the public down a little. Unfortunately it does not support SIO/MIDIMate due to differences in handling and resources used.
However, there is work (not mine) to allow the playback engine to be used for SIO/MIDIMate devices. What is the status of these as of today, I cannot answer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

The player looks really sharp, and is definitely headed in the right direction from what I can tell from watching the video ?

It looks to have a very good directory/song select aspect, something that was definitely missing and downright difficult to use in MidiPlay.

On 7/6/2022 at 8:33 PM, PeBe said:

I will let the public down a little. Unfortunately it does not support SIO/MIDIMate due to differences in handling and resources used.
However, there is work (not mine) to allow the playback engine to be used for SIO/MIDIMate devices. What is the status of these as of today, I cannot answer.

It's unfortunate that no support is baked in for MIDIMATE and the other SIO-centric devices that have followed. Since at this time there are likely far more of those types of devices in actual use (largely due to the more recent SIO2MIDI and SIO2MIDI-S2 projects). However I do look forward to seeing what comes out of the 3rd party work using the MIDIcar player's playback engine :)

Will the MIDIcar gerbers for PCB manufacture be publicly released, like all of my AtariBits MIDI projects have been?

• Like 3

@Mathy:
Yes, the device plays really brilliantly and I tried to make the Playerek as comfortable to use as possible.
There will probably still be videos on my channel, oriented more on the operation, although as I wrote before, it's very simple in my opinion.

@Atlan_Roland:
There will be source code available for the whole Player, but after the ABBUC SOFTWARE results are announced. I will probably also be building some more usable UNIT for MADPascal, as the current design of the Player is not oriented towards using it in any software.
I'm slowly getting the documentation for the MIDICar Player ready, which means you'll be able to read how it works.

@mytek:
The lack of support for SIO-based projects is primarily dictated by the lack of the device itself :) but on the other hand, the Player uses POKEY's TIMER-1 to synchronise playback. I also don't know how the data transmission to SIO devices itself is. In MIDICar, the information transfer is two LDA/STA commands and a wait/check serial port status - that's it.

As far as I know, MIDICar creator Pancio (Błażej Biernat) will be providing schematics and everything you need to build a MIDICar yourself - the project is also put up for the ABBUC HARDWARE competition.
In the meantime, you can have a look at the design features here https://systemembedded.eu/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Edited by PeBe
  • Like 3

You have already seen the player, and whoever is more inquisitive has even seen the device, however, I decided (with the permission of the device designer) to present some photos.

Generally, the device is available in a version for ECI/CARD, but there are already works on a version for PBI.

mp05.jpg

mc04.jpg

synths.jpg

mc01.jpg

mc03.jpg

IMG_20220708_164808_resized.jpg

Edited by PeBe
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The X2GS is the most interesting - here is a description https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS

A second worthy recommendation is the S2 - https://www.serdashop.com/waveblaster

QWave https://www.serdashop.com/QWave
E-Wave https://www.serdashop.com/EWave
CrystalBlaster https://www.serdashop.com/CrystalBlaster-C2

This is not a shop advertisement :) simply, all presented sound modules are gathered here

I use the S2 module and a MID playback program is also written for it. I mention it because QWave/E-Wave modules differ in supported list of MIDI commands (for example: General MIDI Reset is different).

Edited by PeBe
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, PeBe said:

The X2GS is the most interesting - here is a description https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS

Yeah, I have one, and it sounds better than the S2.

This one is great for the true 90's retro sound. There was a C1 IVO Version DIY kit before. It is a shrunken version of my design which is here: https://github.com/ivop/cs9236-waveblaster

They are functional equivalent, so if you want to build your very own WaveBlaster card, you can still do it ;)

Edit: note that I don't make any money of this. My design is BSD0, but out of courtesy I received a built C1 from Serdashop.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mathy said:

Hello PeBe and Pancio

Will either of you guys be visiting us at the Fujiama 2022 in 08485 Lengenfeld, Germany this year?

Sincerely

Mathy

I'll consider it ? Really...

2 hours ago, ivop said:

This one is great for the true 90's retro sound. There was a C1 IVO Version DIY kit before. It is a shrunken version of my design which is here: https://github.com/ivop/cs9236-waveblaster

They are functional equivalent, so if you want to build your very own WaveBlaster card, you can still do it ;)

Thank God I didn't find your project on GitHub before... in case I did find it, MIDIcar probably wouldn't exist now ?. Very good job @ivop!

• Like 2

Hello Pancio

3 hours ago, pancio said:

I'll consider it ? Really...

You will not regret it.  You'll meet a lot of ABBUC members, many of which are well known in the scene and/or on the ABBUC forum.  Plus manterola (who lives in the USA and visits AtariAge a lot) and maybe some of the guys from the Czech republic, some of which also are present on AtariAge a lot.

Here's the group photo from the Fujiama 2019:

Gruppenfoto%20Fujiama%202019.JPG

Left to right: Zdenek B., Pseudografix, krupkaj, Fandal, Poison, TWH, ??, Alex B., Wolfgang, Uncle Harry, GoodbyteXL, Chris, Lastic, wizard, 1NG, Susanne, Artax, Holgibo, Farb, dl7ukk, Andrea, Ektum, R0ger, Mathy, manterola, skr, 8bitjunkie, Uwe, Alx, Rene M., Bohdan M., luckybuck 
Bottom row: Mr. V., Sleepy, Linus, atarixle, Nine!, JAC!, Alexandra, Anke, Maniac, zaxxon-hh, thorsten_guenther, Yellow_Man and Yellow_Dog, Floppydoc.

More pictures and information, including the address, can be found on my meetings page (but I already mentioned that before :-) ).

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, pancio said:

Thank God I didn't find your project on GitHub before... in case I did find it, MIDIcar probably wouldn't exist now ?.

You were not aware of MIDIMuse with a waveblaster port, mytek's 1088XLD derivative and backport to the XEL, and then SIO2MIDI and SIO2MIDI-S2 (some with, some without the waveblaster port)? Guess we should be lucky then. It's very nice to see a PBI/ECI MIDI solution. It keeps the SIO bus 100% free.

20 hours ago, pancio said:

Very good job @ivop!

Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ivop said:

You were not aware of MIDIMuse with a waveblaster port, mytek's 1088XLD derivative and backport to the XEL, and then SIO2MIDI and SIO2MIDI-S2 (some with, some without the waveblaster port)? Guess we should be lucky then. It's very nice to see a PBI/ECI MIDI solution. It keeps the SIO bus 100% free.

When I developed MIDIcar I had SIO2MIDI with S2 equipped - first I heard Mission Impossible MIDI which play with some delays. Mytek explained why it's happened but nobody was willing to solve the problem with MIDI clock provided by POKEY/SIO (sync with internal MIDI clock generated by PIC). So I decided to go thru other way.. independently from SIO, direct access to data bus. It's doesn't important that you're using CART/ECI (only CART) or PBI bus. Idea is the same, but you are know this fact because you are hardware designer. Only New features make delay for PBI variant of MIDIcar. I hope I'll  show the result at the end of August ?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello pancio

2 hours ago, pancio said:

Just only notice.

It's good to see you're back online.  Hadn't heard from you in a while and even registered at your site to check when you were online for the last time.

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy

Hi Mathy,

That's cute. You're activated. I was little bit back because some work load but I'm still working with Atari stuff 🙂 I'm involved with checking MIDIcar compatibility process to se sure that it's ready to use with existing equipment (or not). At this moment we know that it's working with ABBUC Freezer 2011 module (as memory expansion), Zaxon's 512KB external expansion and any internal ext. memory. Unfortunately I can't use MC with AVG cart (the reason is under investigation - most probably root cause is power distribution to AVG). The same issue I've with SIDE2.... so many things to do...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Afair, pancio released updates of MCP in the Abbuc forum, unsure if the latest version now works under MyDOS or still does not work. (Don't have the MidiCar hardware yet.)

And as always, if I go to the github link, I see dozens of sources and subdirs there, but cannot find any ATR's for download. But maybe there is a newer version available at github and I am too blind to see / find it.  (I would prefer that programmers also create a subdir at sourceforge, github, ..., named ATR or XEX where the executable software for the A8 can be downloaded.)

Anyways, here is the software that I have atm.

MCP.BAT.zip MCP.CMD.zip mcp_2023_09_14.zip mcp157.zip mcp158.zip mcp-dev090923.zip mcp-no-irq-patch.zip midicar.zip

MCP_PLAYERS.zip

• Like 2

Hi,

As I know... MCP was made by PeBe 🙂

From my side a piece of news related to MIDIcar:  New version of MC was released, called MIDIcarSDX...  and yes.. it has SDX placed on board... Why SDX? because it's only one (?) DOS which is distributed as cartridge  and contains other cartridge (!). On that additional cartridge we placed MCP and a few MIDI files.

Follow: https://abbuc.de/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17612#p17612   for more detalils.

BR,

pancio

7 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Afair, pancio released updates of MCP in the Abbuc forum, unsure if the latest version now works under MyDOS or still does not work. (Don't have the MidiCar hardware yet.)

And as always, if I go to the github link, I see dozens of sources and subdirs there, but cannot find any ATR's for download. But maybe there is a newer version available at github and I am too blind to see / find it.  (I would prefer that programmers also create a subdir at sourceforge, github, ..., named ATR or XEX where the executable software for the A8 can be downloaded.)

Anyways, here is the software that I have atm.

Look at releases on the right side. There's a zip file that contains the binaries of the latest stable release.

As it was not posted in this thread yet, here's the developer's github repo: https://github.com/GSoftwareDevelopment/MIDICar-Player

Looks like it also supports MIDIMate compatibles over SIO now!

• Like 4