IGNORED

Alley Dog, new demo by Agenda

Philsan

Just now, chevymad said:

I saw the links, but they're not opening for me. Wondered if it was the same for others.

Since several months, with some links I have problems too.

With right button I open the link in incognito mode, then I click on address bar and press return key. 

• Like 1

Wow it's a great weekend for new demos! I am still getting over how good the Rewind demo is. 

This is a great demo with some wonderful effects and colours, music and above all amazing animation. Totally begs for a game featuring the main protagonist. I wonder if this is something on the cards?!  

The animation of the dog is amazing!

I've downloaded the XEX for ease.

Thanks to all involved in creative this. Easily one of my favourite demos.:lust:

AlleyDog(compy).xex

Edit: the music that accompanies the animal tribute section is fantastic too!  Definitely can see that music along with the main character and animation in a game!! :lust:

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

Hello guys

What I don't get is why in 2022 we still need different versions of NEW software for RAMBO and CompyShop memory extensions.  It's not that hard to test which pins are used in a memory upgrade.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Britishcar said:

The demo seems to hang on the dog peeing on the hydrant scene on NTSC and proceeds normally on PAL. Is anyone else experiencing this? I didn't see a PAL only warning but it does seem to be PAL only unless I've missed something.

If this was a game or application I'd be worried. As a demo, not a biggie since it can be watched on the linked to video.

BTW, very nice animation ?

Edited by mytek

16 hours ago, chevymad said:

I saw the links, but they're not opening for me. Wondered if it was the same for others.

The security key is not liked by some browsers. On Chrome on Android, I had to force Download Link and when it complained the connection wasn't secure, I told it to Keep it anyway and it saved.

This is just fantastic. The sense of humor clearly shows, and the sprite work is awesome, effects taking a back seat to the very cute dog throughout. I would pay solid money for Alley Dog the game!

I'm amazed at all of the output from Lost Party this year, but this just deserves special mention.

• Like 1

@gnusto I agree, they really pushed the envelope with these demos at Lost party this year, and this demo is fantastic. Music is a real earworm too. (To my partner's annoyance I was humming it in the kitchen last night heh heh!:grin:)

I often see the demo scene, (where coders introduce new effects),  as the starting point/proof of concept for possible future game effects. The colours and effects used in this demo are fantastic.

I would absolutely love to see an Alley Dog game which brought into the gameplay the animation and characters, (ie the main pooch, the lil grey dog, even the cat), and also the special effects used in, say, the underwater scenes.

Much the same as the pioneering great game Alley cat has a fish bowl level, (albeit static single screen), I can totally see a horizontal multi screen platformer where your cainine character is traversing levels and going underwater in some of them, (the reed effects are fantastic). Think Blinky's scary school only much more colourful, (a la Albert).

You could even have a puzzler platformer which required you to switch between the 3 x animal characters in order to coordinate puzzle solving. There are many games of this type on other platforms.

Perhaps the target RAM would be a 128k game or one which loads the game in segments and runs on 64K. Of course would be great to see games utilising 320k and above. Of course a game that ran off an Atarimax 8Mbit (1MB) cart to ensure there was loads of content and high end effects to really showcase the game, (a-la-Atariblast!), where you could also save progress, scores, etc. I would gladly pay money for that.

I think generally a lot of people on the A8 scene would be happy to part cash for high production value games and cart releases. Look at Albert, Flob, the Last Squadron, Tensor, etc - all which have had cart releases. 

A fantastic time to be on the A8 scene, where in addition to the aforementioned games  - in the last year we have also had - (or will have soon as denoted by a "WIP") - the following games:

Prince of Persia:lust:; L'abbaye des morts (WIP):lust:; Final Assault:lust:; Gacek; Giana sisters; (WIP still?); Bloody planet (WIP); Flimbo's quest (WIP); and Onescape, (WIP)

And for me of particular interest we virtually have a new and hugely impressive DOOM engine - complete with texture and lighting effects -  and maybe game in the pipeline!! Unbelieveable.:lust:

Edited by Beeblebrox

On 7/11/2022 at 1:31 AM, Mathy said:

Hello guys

What I don't get is why in 2022 we still need different versions of NEW software for RAMBO and CompyShop memory extensions.  It's not that hard to test which pins are used in a memory upgrade.

Sincerely

Mathy

YES!

There should be a version that detects the available XRAM automatically and works on Compy and/or Rambo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1. The demo was done by busy people in their free hobby time (that nobody has enough) and was finished literally a few hours before the deadline submission to the party.

2. Even then, there were very specific competition rules and auto-detection of memory type wasn't mentioned there.

Edited by ilmenit
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ilmenit said:

1. The demo was done by busy people in their free hobby time (that nobody has enough) and was finished literally a few hours before the deadline submission to the party.

2. Even then, there were very specific competition rules and auto-detection of memory type wasn't mentioned there.

Now that the party is over, its just a small request by me to add  memory auto-detection. Think I did not ask friendly/politely enough..., sorry.

On 7/10/2022 at 9:39 PM, Britishcar said:

The demo seems to hang on the dog peeing on the hydrant scene on NTSC and proceeds normally on PAL. Is anyone else experiencing this? I didn't see a PAL only warning but it does seem to be PAL only unless I've missed something.

For me it breaks at the 3:30 mark where the dog enters the screen with the blue barrels and the pixel tornados in the background.  Dog stops animating but keeps moving left to right. 

NTSC 800xl/U1MB/Sophia 2

NTSC 130XE with 512kb

NTSC 600XL with 512kb