IGNORED

Obelix

IBP

Anyone have any intimate knowledge of Obelix?

I'm trying to find out about this cart, specifically whether it's a rarety 7 European release or a rarety 10. The label is different from the one listed in the rarety guide, which would appear to be French.

I'm trying to decide how much to offer.

Thanks.

post-3109-1064398007_thumb.jpg

Both Asterix and Obelix are pretty easy to find in PAL format, especially now more and more French sellers appear on the internet.

As for the NTSC versions of these games, I don't think a 10 is justified any longer for Obelix. There have been too many on eBay to put it in the same category as Air Raid, Video Life, Eli's Ladder and the likes.

I'm not sure what to think about NTSC Asterix. Some never-sold-stock was unearthed recently. It accordingly moved from prototype to rarity-10 status. But in many cases, the discovery of 'new-old-stock' means that there are just too many around to warrant the highest rarity rating. In the case of Asterix, I think it would be strange if they just produced this one carton of games. But this is all just speculation.

Cheers,

Marco

It's in germany (which is not where I live) which would suggest it's PAL, it's just that it's got a 1986 release date (where the AA listing has it in 1983 I believe) so I wondered whether the PAL version came out in '83 with the NTSC following it in 1986.

I'm not bothered about getting all the label variants and NTSC rareties, I'm just aiming for one of every game. The question is, do I offer 40 UK pounds (the value of a PAL cart on ebay) or 150 UK pounds (the value of an NTSC cart)

i've got 2 pal obelix carts, I think the 2nd one is uncommon :

- one with the "p" on the end label and with the standard front label.

- one without the "p" on the end label but with a uncommon front label :

the red band where's written obelix is thinest and goes through the

silver borders of the label (It takes the entire width of the label)

This one is different from the one shown in the AA pictures database.

I haven't see a lot of this model on ebay, I think it's rarest.

It's in germany (which is not where I live) which would suggest it's PAL, it's just that it's got a 1986 release date (where the AA listing has it in 1983 I believe) so I wondered whether the PAL version came out in '83 with the NTSC following it in 1986.

I'm not bothered about getting all the label variants and NTSC rareties, I'm just aiming for one of every game. The question is, do I offer 40 UK pounds (the value of a PAL cart on ebay) or 150 UK pounds (the value of an NTSC cart)

The majority of my carts are PAL and there are so many with different release dates and variations i gave up looking at AA's scans. Your best bet would be to put it in a PAL and NTSC machine and check the colours.

If you're the one buying it - and the seller doesn`t know which it is - then assume it's the PAL version. After all, it _is_ a lot more common PAL so therefore a lot more likely to be PAL.

And £40 is way over the odds for Obelix. Try 20, and you could get it for less than that on eBay. All IMHO. :-)