IGNORED

Atari Lynx repair

Option1

I looked in a cross reference table and it said that you can replace the MTD3055E with the STD12N06 Power-MOSFET.

I also have a broken Lynx with that part missing, but I havn't tried it yet, and I don't know if that transistor is available (I'm coming from Europe).

Good luck for your resurrection!

I have a broken Lynx that seems to power on OK, but the game doesn't seem to load: screen is black, no audio, the backlight button doesn't toggle the backlight (which is on), and the brightness knob is ineffective.

Is replacing this component a cure for this particular ailment?

Also, is this the 'Q12' component on the board. I seem to recall mention of this part on other 'dead Lynx' topics in the forums as a clue to their demise. If so, my part number reads "222 M(Motorola) T3055EL". Any difference?

There seem to be a lot of dead Lynxes and so few solutions to getting them back in working order. I'd love to bring at least one back to life!

Thanks,

Jason

The symptom of the Q12 problem is that the power button doesn't work to turn the unit on or off. You can short one side of the Q12 transistor (can't remember off the top of my head which one) to ground and the unit should power up.

It sounds like your problem is more serious possibly. Does it do this with different games? You may just have to clean the contacts maybe. What about power? Do you have a consistent power supply, does it do this with batteries and power adapter?

My Lynx II showed some strange behaviour like this when the batteries were dead. My power jack is also "twitchy", meaning that you have to have the adapter plug, juuuuust right for it to work. I haven't taken it apart to desolder-resolder it yet.

Good luck!

Does it do this with different games?  You may just have to clean the contacts maybe.  What about power?  Do you have a consistent power supply, does it do this with batteries and power adapter?

The problem is consistent no matter what game or power source I use (my AC jack is flaky too :)).

When I bought the Lynx it had corroded batteries in it. I took the Lynx apart and cleaned some of the solder joints which had some corrosion on them. Perhaps some fresh solder on these joints will revive the current flow?

Thanks,

Jason

Hi all,

In most cases when the power mosfet dies... This is what i find usualy in the Lynx 2 system.. is that the full 10volts from the adapter or batteries, will directly go to all the logic, such as cpu1 & 2, and ram, and all other logic.. to all 5volts lines.. and then everything will die..

Really Silly Question 1: :?

Why are you trying to get a Lynx repaired?

Surely by the time you have paid a technician/engineer/somebody for their time (lets say a decent hourly wage would be 30 pounds/45 Euros per hour, and thats cheap... try getting a plumber for less).

Or searched for the part you need ( I mean how mcuh do you value your time).

You can get second hand/recon or even new lynxes with warrenty as cheap or cheaper.... ie from say 35 pounds up

Try Telegames, Best, or B&C or even me? :D

Hello Nick!

Really Silly Question 1: :?  

Why are you trying to get a Lynx repaired?  

Surely by the time you have paid a technician/engineer/somebody for their time (lets say a decent hourly wage would be 30 pounds/45 Euros per hour, and thats cheap... try getting a plumber for less).  

Or searched for the part you need ( I mean how mcuh do you value your time).

You can get second hand/recon or even new lynxes with warrenty as cheap or cheaper....  ie from say 35 pounds up

Try Telegames, Best, or B&C  or even me? :D

Your question (i have counted only one) isn't silly, i am doing this calculation quite often to decide how i want to proceed with such issues.

Lynx, Jaguar and so on are our hobby, many of us have gained some knowledge about the console-hardware during the years and if the hw-problem is easy to detect and easy to repair then i would say: Repair it!

(Especially because Lynx and Jaguar are out of production)

We normally don't care about our own time, so we just have to calculate

the parts-costs.

Best regards

Matthias

PS: Still don't know if a Lynx II-schematic is publically available.

• 4 weeks later...

Very good answer indeed. I have friends who are befuddled as to why I bought 7 dead Lynx IIs (still have not seen hardly any dead Lynx Is) to repair them. I tell them it would give me great joy to resurrect these little machines that are sooo cool, even after we have the SNK NGPC and GBA. They are definitely a part of history and fond memories to all who are attempting the task, most likely. I would like to think that I would be bringing back to "life" (or working order, as it IS a machine) a friend, a major stress reliever and, well, a darn fine peice of hardware.

;-) Peace to all and thanks for the info here, though I may have more problems than that with these babies!

-Wes