IGNORED

HANDMADE CONTROLLERS/5200 MARQUEE

mreddr

HELLO GAMERS,

I POSTED THIS A WEEK AGO, BUT HERE WE GO AGAIN.I'M IN THE PROCESS OF BULDING AN ARCADE STYLE CABINET FOR MY 5200.I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A CUSTOM MADE CONTROL PANEL. I'M NEW TO THIS AND I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO WIRE UP AN 5200 JOYSTICK BUT I'VE HEARD HERE THAT SOME PEOPLE HAVE DONE IT BEFORE.I KNOW ALL ABOUT THE FINICKY ISSUES WITH THIS TYPE OF CONTROLLER BUT THIS IS WHAT A WANT.ALSO I'M LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO COULD DESIGN ME AN 5200 MARQUEE STANDARD ARCADE SIZE IS OK.I'M WILLING TO PAY FOR THESE SERVICES IF ANYONE CAN DO IT.

THANKS,

MREDDR

I think your best bet would be to build a Masterplay interface, so you could convert to digital controls. Then you could buy actual arcade parts. It's the sticks that's the problem. If you use the interface to convert to digital, then it would be no different than if you plugged a 2600 stick in. Side effect is that some games might not work as well as they should but the majority would be better off this way.

For the marquee, I'd suggest creating a quality print in paintshop pro or whatever you like for the size you are trying to build, and then taking that on disc to a print shop and having it printed out. Once it's behind plexi it should look very presentable. Light may not pass thru as well with a darker color, but thats probably about the best you can do. There are also companies out there would make repo marquees, but getting them to do a one off custom deal might be expensive.

Here's a good site for general info on arcade construction:

http://www.arcadecontrols.com/

Well you could buy a Masterplay Interface, and also the Redemption 5200 adapter that's about to be available in the Atari Age store, both of these allow you to use digital sticks with the 5200, they will have controller ports, but it would be possible to simply hack up a working controller like Sega Genesis, and wire up to arcade buttons & sticks, and then plug into the adapter.

Or you can build a similar adpater:

http://www.atarihq.com/5200/5200faq/06_03.html

There's also a 5200 to PSX adapter in the horizon! Basically if you're looking to build an arcade type cabinet that houses a 5200, your either gonna need 5200 sticks mounted to it somehow, and I guess that's possible too, or use one of these adapters or build one if that's your thing, so you can convert to digital and make use of real arcade type parts. I think it would be cooler if it actually had arcade sticks in a cabinet. You can make it a whole lot cleaner and they are easy enough to install in a cabinet.

HI GAMERS,

THANKS FOR THE INPUT THIS TIME AROUND.AFTER READING UP ON THE REDEMPTION,I'M GOING TO GO THAT ROUTE.TO GIVE A LITTLE INSITE ON MY PROJECT I WILL GIVE A FEW DETAILS.FIRST OF ALL I OWN AN FULL SIZE MILLIPEDE CABINET.I TOOK THE SPECS OFF THAT CABINET AND BUILT AN EXACT REPLICA AND MADE IT A MAME CABINET.I BUILT ANOTHER REPLICA BUT NOW ITS GOING TO HOUSE THE BEST SYSTEM EVER MADE THE 5200.I GUTTED A 4 PORT MODEL.I WILL MOUNT THE MOTHER BOARD ONLY WITH ACCESS TO THE GAME SLOT ONLY.THE POWER SWITCH WILL BE MOVED TO THE CONTROLL PANEL{WILL BE USING A MULTICART SO I NEED QUICK ACCESS TO THE POWER SWITCH}I WILL HACK A SIDEWINDER TO REAL ARCADE CONTROLS.I ALSO WILL USE A BILKINS POWERSTRIP WHICH WHEN I TURN ON THE 5200 IT WILL TURN ON THE TV ALSO.FROM JUST LOOKING AT IT ,IT WILL JUST LOOK LIKE ANOTHER GAME CABINET BUT IT WILL ONLY BE AN 5200.I HOPE THIS GIVES YOU GUYS A BETTER PICTURE OF WHAT I'M DOING HERE.TO HAVE 3 CABINETS THE SAME SHAPE AND SITTING NEXT TO EACH OTHER JUST

LOOKS AWSOME!!!!!! "TO ME AT LEAST".

THANKS GUYS FOR THE INPUT,

MREDDR

• 2 weeks later...

If you're still interested, I could probably send you an interface that will allow you to hook up your player 1 arcade stick and your two player buttons and your start button for a reasonable amount(maybe around $40). All the wires would be ready, you'd just have to find a way to connect them to your joystick and buttons.

Ya know, for someone building a 5200 cabinet, I'd advise using an analog arcade stick. None of this converting a digital controller crap.

Fortunately, Happ sells analog sticks.

Ah, thjey won't let you link to a page, so go to www.happcontrols.com , click amusements on the left, then click joysticks.

They have 6 analog sticks, and I'd consider 5 of them 5200-appropriate.

Ya know, for someone building a 5200 cabinet, I'd advise using an analog arcade stick. None of this converting a digital controller crap.  

Ah, thjey won't let you link to a page, so go to www.happcontrols.com , click amusements on the left, then click joysticks.

You have to consider the different resistances in the different joysticks. One might be a 50 ohm resistance and the other might be 400 ohms. I don;t remember the resistance pots the 5200 uses.

I owned an actuar 5200 store display kiosk that looked like an arcade cabinet. We were constantly fixing the damn thing. Specifically- the keypad, it was cheaply made, it was a modified telephone keypad with not enough supports under it.

Take your time and do it right the 1st time and you will be happy. :D

post-1776-1066761463_thumb.jpg

You have to consider the different resistances in the different joysticks. One might be a 50 ohm resistance and the other might be 400 ohms. I don;t remember the resistance pots the 5200 uses.

I think mine siad 1 megaohm.

Of course, the range used is a tiny fraction of that, but...

I owned an actuar 5200 store display kiosk that looked like an arcade cabinet. We were constantly fixing the damn thing. Specifically- the keypad, it was cheaply made, it was a modified telephone keypad with not enough supports under it.  

Take your time and do it right the 1st time and you will be happy. :D

That's pretty sweet.

Happ controls sells arcade analog joysticks, and if you search around the web placed like Jameco and others sell numeric keypads that you could wire into a 5200 wiring harness taken from a 5200 joystick, fire buttons are also available from Happ controls.

As for a Marqee, here is what you do:

Order a set of vinyl lettering in blue that says 5200 in small font and larger SuperSystem.

Go to Home Depot and buy a piece of 1/4" plexis glass the size you want your marquee (most likely you'll have to buy a scoring tool and score the plexi and snap off the excess).

Apply the vinyl lettering to the marqee, get the lettering that is front adhesive so you can apply to behind the marqee, now DON'T remove the peel-away yet, CAREFULLY using a fresh exacto blade, cut out the lettering through the peel-away, then remove the excess, you want to leave the peel-away on the lettering, there is a reason....

Now using black FLAT (not semi gloss or glossy) spray paint, spray over 4-5 coats of black (wait 10-15 mins between coats) let dry for 24 hrs min.

Now remove the peel away from the lettering which is now NOT covering in black paint, the reason?

Well you're gonna wanna do you coin-op right, so mount some florescent bulbs behind that bad boy so the blue 5200 SuperSystem lettering lights up !!!

:-)

Curt