IGNORED

Atari Mega STE and which monitors work with it.

Draugr

I use a Tandy monitor with my Mega STe. The original owner claimed that he bought it from Radio Shack "as is", but it has a standard ST monitor jack and I doubt Tandy monitors were ever specifically manufactured for the ST market. It's probably a modification.

I have a Commodore 1080 myself at home, but do not use it with the Mega STe. You should be able to use this monitor with your Mega STe, but you will have to build a special Commodore VGA --> ST monitor cable.

I'd suggest buying Best Electronic's special ST ---> SVGA monitor cable. I understand that the STs can be used with a number of multisync monitors if they can handle the STs' special display modes. Best posts a list of all compatible monitors on their website.

The C= 1084S i got has SCART in. So a simple RGB SCART cable works fine. Every monitor that takes RGB in will work fine with your Mega STE. Multi syncs are only needed if you swap a lot from low/medium to high res. Or if you use high res but can't find an atari highres monitor

• 16 years later...

Well here we are, seventeen years later, and I thought I'd hook up my Mega STe (for the first time in a decade) and play Phantasie III. And then, of course, discovered that I gave away that Tandy monitor years ago in a move. Of course I did. And that I am left with a 1084s as my monitor option. Of course I am.

I previously bought one of those ST--9 pin VGA adapters off of eBay, and I do get a picture, but it rolls badly, and that isn't fixed with fiddling with the vertical hold. I know a number of folk have made ST--Commodore video cables. Does anyone know a source?

1 hour ago, MasterMotorola said:

David,

Too bad you don't have that Tandy monitor any more, I would have liked to have seen a picture of it.  Glad you got the picture to display properly.  Does your cable not have screw-posts to secure it?

It does, but they're too shallow to secure properly to the BOBby box that I'm using it. The picture's fantastic...when I the connection's stable enough. 

That old Tandy monitor was a hack-job -- someone simply soldered on a ST 13 pin connection onto the monitor cable. I got rid of it because I "remembered" that I had a SC1224. When I moved, and opened the box, I discovered that it was actually a 1084s. D'oh!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davidcalgary29 said:

It does, but they're too shallow to secure properly to the BOBby box that I'm using it. The picture's fantastic...when I the connection's stable enough. 

That old Tandy monitor was a hack-job -- someone simply soldered on a ST 13 pin connection onto the monitor cable. I got rid of it because I "remembered" that I had a SC1224. When I moved, and opened the box, I discovered that it was actually a 1084s. D'oh!

If the 1084s is like mine (the -d1) you can use the standard Mega STe cable to connect to it (DIN13 to db9) that came with the 1435SC.

https://coolnovelties.co.uk/coolnovelties/atari-st-video-cables/181-atari-ste-to-atari-sc1435-colour-monitor-cable.html

9 minutes ago, leech said:

If the 1084s is like mine (the -d1) you can use the standard Mega STe cable to connect to it (DIN13 to db9) that came with the 1435SC.

https://coolnovelties.co.uk/coolnovelties/atari-st-video-cables/181-atari-ste-to-atari-sc1435-colour-monitor-cable.html

I have a DIN13 to DB9 cable. Doesn't work in providing a stable picture, though -- hence the BOBby box solution. I'll eventually get this sorted out, but then I've got to take a peek around inside because the system's crashing upon booting. I'm pretty sure it's the hard drive that's causing the problem.

2 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

I have a DIN13 to DB9 cable. Doesn't work in providing a stable picture, though -- hence the BOBby box solution. I'll eventually get this sorted out, but then I've got to take a peek around inside because the system's crashing upon booting. I'm pretty sure it's the hard drive that's causing the problem.

Huh, on mine I had to tweak the knobs on the back.  Now it's nice and stable with anything I hook up to it.

Well, I'll certainly try again, but I got a constant vertical roll the last time I tried it, and the results were unusable. I'm fairly excited about the BOBby box (really, they should change the name to BOB), because I can connect the STe fairly easily to modern LCD monitors through the VGA port.

3 hours ago, tjlazer said:

Vertical roll usually means Vertical setting on back of the monitor. 

Not in this case! I've tried all mechanical settings (a number of times) and, while roll can be lessened, I can't get a stable picture. I've no such problem with the signal routed through the BOBby box.