IGNORED

I beat Raiders of the Lost Ark - Any tips on the easter egg

bjk7382

I finally got thru the game part and found the ark. And for the easter egg I know that you need to walk off of the big middle mesa and drop the chai and open the parachute. Has anyone ever done it and if so does the Yar stay on the screen so I can take a picture of it? I came really close but if you fail you need to start over again. Is there a way out of the Valley of Poison? I just try to stay out of it and if I fall down I start over. I would just like to get the Yar on the screen and see the HSW 2 in the inventory.

Hey,

Me and my friend set out to beat that game over a week-end one day back in the 80's. I remember it took all day, all night, and into the next day.

You can get out of the V.O.P it seems. Just go all the way to the bottom of the screen. And you can exit out that way, (If Im remembering correctly)

As far as the Egg, I think it is like the ark, randomly in one of the caves you parchute down to.

Raiders was one of the best games EVER made for the ATARI IMO. The amount of screens, the amount of items, there was a real sense of adventure playing that game. I for one loved it.

I don't know, I haven't been here as long as you. As you can tell by my number of posts. I think this is a great game and I have always underrated it up until now. It has a solid adventure feel, that is unparalelled by any other atari game. Not even E.T. is as in depth as this one. Hey if you can dig that thread up I would love to take a look at it.

thanks moycon, that is a very comprehensive bug and cheat page. I will personally get the initials, but to do that you need to get the yar successfully. I can see the yar for like two seconds, but then I open my parachute and I never quite make it to the hole in the wall. I will get it sooner or later.

Here are all the known actions, with the correct point scale:

+24    (start with)

+12    USING SHOVEL IN MESA

+10    FINDING ARK

+ 3    USE OF PARACHUTE  

+ 9    USE OF ANKH

+ 5    UNCOVERING YAR

+14    LOCATING ARK IN MAPROOM

+ 3    LANDING IN MESA

+ 1    FINISHING GAME WITH 1 LIFE LEFT

+ 2    FINISHING GAME WITH 2 LIVES LEFT

+-0 ?? UNKNOWN - possibly related to "JD" ?

- 2    BLOWING HOLE IN ENTRANCE ROOM

-13    USING SECRET EXIT IN DUNGEON

- 4    SHOOTING/WHIPPING THIEVES

So it appears whatever the unknown action is/was, it made up for the missing 10 points (maximum being 92).

Note the negative points in the bottom 3 lines. The maximum score you can get is by doing all the actions that add points while avoiding actions that subtract them (you can use the "headpiece" object to "warp" Indy from the marketplace to the temple entrance to avoid using the grenade...which would subtract 2 points).

The area of the code that does the calculation is here:

*=FDDB

LDA $9E

SEC

SBC $A7

SBC $A8

SBC $A9

SBC $AA

SBC $9F

SBC $AB

SBC $AD

SBC $AE

CLC

ADC $A5

ADC $A6

ADC $AC

...and the "unknown" points are not there. So there is no way to reach the top of the screen (other than frying or hack cheating).

I have some bad news for everyone...

Thomas didn't find any code that would trigger the 2nd key to appear.  He did however send me a patched version, which shows what the key would have looked like, had the code existed:

ROTLAKEY.JPG  

He has a theory as to why it was never used.  Here are his comments:

"I have some new knowledge about the kernel. Since it only has two

variables, which say where to start with the display of the objects and

where to stop, it is impossible not to display (disable) objects which

are vertical between of displayed objects.

Examples (Entrance Room):

Hole + Rock + Whip is ok, Hole + Whip not, because the Rock is in the

middle and can't be disabled independently. Only Hole or only Whip would

be possible too.  

For the Key, that would lead to some restrictions too. If the Rock can't

be disabled, the Key could only appear together with the Hole, because

that is between them. If the Rock would be disabled, then the Key could

only appear as long as there is no Whip.

That leads me back to my old theory. The Key was removed from this

room, because the Rock can't be disabled and then they could only

display the Key together with the Hole, which would cost points and

making it impossible to reach an optimal score. The realized that

during playtesting and so they moved the key into a basket.

Inside the code, the Key isn't triggered    icon_sad.gif

I'm quite sure, because now I know the variable and searched for it.

It's only used to enable the Hole or to enable/disable the Whip. There

is no code for enabling the necessary bit, which would show the Key

(bit 2 in $B1)."

So there you have it.  Unless Twit's proto is different, or if more are found, that's the anticlimatic end to this week-long search.  At least we learned a few things about the release version:

1. The JD initials do not exist

2. The 2nd key (hidden in the code) cannot be found during gameplay.

3. The maximum score is 82 out of 90 (or 20.5 circles out of 23)

If Twit's proto yields any new info, it will be posted here.  I can't thank everyone enough for helping with this.  You guys are the best.

S

BTW Twit's prototype didn't differ from the released game (other than a single byte which was the result of dumping it).

I guess if I ever beat it back in the day, I would be excited that I figured it out on my own, I really wouldn't care what the score was. Although it is odd that the ending was changed like that. At least they left the Yar and the initials in it. Now I don't want to start talking about it here, but I have been working on E.T. too, trying to figure out the mystery easter eggs.

yeah, I opened and read the whole page that moycon posted above and it is where those pics came from. I read thru all of the known bugs and stuff. Like if you put 4 bags of money on the mound of dirt it locks the game up. And other strange things. I will work on getting the highest score like in that pic. But it isn't too important now that I have beaten it. Which a lot of people can't say they have done.

Other challenges might be to uncover the ark while holding the most "valuable" objects that you can. Scott was once experimenting with having objects in various positions in the inventory in an attempt to unlock the secret of the undiscovered "JD" initials (since he was once told that it depended on 3 objects being in your inventory in a certain order). That may have been true at one point during the game's development, but it appears that those initials were removed prior to the game's completion :(

Note: it IS possible to land inside a mesa holding all 3 temple treasures (use the Ankh to get to the mesa holding the Ark, and push the button while the "hook" is in the sky area around that mesa while standing on it. When you fall, trade up to the parachute. If you miss the timing, you can push the button while holding the Ankh to return safely to the center mesa).

Can you have two ankh's? Because in order to attempt to drop off the side after landing on the right mesa you need to drop the ankh. and then to get the yar successfully you need to drop the Chai and then open the parachute. It takes really good timing to get that part right. But what your saying is that if you don't make it to the hole you could quick switch to the ankh and go back up top.

So it is 100% known that the other initials arent in there? Or they haven't been uncovered in gameplay. someone just found them in the code?

I know HSW is part of these forums, hopefully he sees this thread.

No you don't need two ankhs ( I had the same reaction when Scott told me about that :lol: ). You use the ankh to teleport yourself to the mesa, and then use the grappling hook to jump over to the one holding the Ark. The grappling hook is still circling around you...just press the button while the hook is in the "sky" area and you will begin to fall (so you don't need to "drop" the ankh to get rid of the hook). While falling, switch to the parachute and use it to get inside the mesa. If you had the other two treasures with you, you are now inside the mesa with all 3 (since you never dropped the ankh). It's always better to travel using the ankh anyway (rather than the hourglass), since if you miss while jumping around with the hook, you can just press the button while falling to warp back to the center mesa.

And no "graphic" of the JD initials are in the code (you can see this yourself in HackOmatic). But there is a large "key" graphic that would appear in the "rock" screen. Unfortunately, there is no way to access it without hacking the game, and it's use is still unknown.

I see what you are saying about the ankh now. As for the last part of that I thought they just changed the key from on the entrance screen to in a basket. As for the JD initials, they might still be there. But if there had been people studying the code they are probly right and it isn't in there. I already sent Howard Scott Warshaw a PM and asked him to look at this thread. He would be the one to put the "lost" initials to rest.

There were only two reasons why the JD initials were believed to be in the game. The first is the screenshot that was shown in videogame magazines during Raiders' development (which shows a strange graphic in the valley of poison...believed to be JD's signature). The second is the fact that ET has both signatures. IIRC, Scott already spoke with HSW...but he can't recall on how to trigger it. So details are pretty fuzzy if it is in the game at all...but it looks as though it was dropped (probably for the reason that Thomas figured...that it would interfere with other parts of the game).

Yeah, I believe it most likely isn't there. But it would be cool if it did pop up at one time. But the fact they had screenshots leads me to believe there might be another proto out there that isn't complete. (or different than the one that is alrady known to exist)

Yeah...heck, I even hacked the game to give you all 92 ;) But it didn't help me to discover the trigger for the "missing" points.

The code snippet above can be NOP'ed out (using the value $EA for all the ADC's and SBC's), and change the LDA to load any value you want rather than loading from a memory location.

post-222-1067139247_thumb.jpg

Cupcakus has a video of his "perfect" score of Raiders of the lost ark

http://www.atariage.com/~clarkin/accomplish.html

or more directly...

http://www.atariage.com/~clarkin/view_page...82(Perfect).zip

Thanks for remembering! Aside from a really long wait for the sun in the map room, and putting my items in a challenging order for the Yar appearance, that vid is a perfect game. That is a game demonstrating the most points possible in a game of Raiders.

I think TwinGalaxies even put me in the books for that vid... Yay me!!!