IGNORED

Raster Music Tracker - RMT 1.14

raster/c.p.u.

And to Raster:

Really great stuff. New Tracker (I'm not used to it), great demo rmt-songs. Maybe I'll use RMT in my game after all.

Thanks. I'm glad. :)

Raster, what about CMC + MPT import? even if it's just about the notes like with MOD and TMC?

I like TMC songs and old ProTracker MODules (mainly Amiga songs ;) ), that's why I made import of their formats.

CMC and MPT aren't favourite for me so much - I don't know them more - It would be painful work to make import... :ponder:

I like TMC songs and old ProTracker MODules (mainly Amiga songs  ;) ), that's why I made import of their formats.

CMC and MPT aren't favourite for me so much - I don't know them more - It would be painful work to make import...  :ponder:

Raster... It is really well enough to convert MODs into RMT format! Let's call it the mightiest weapon of RMT :)

Finally POKEY comes to his right of some really cool Musix ;)

And to Raster:

Really great stuff. New Tracker (I'm not used to it), great demo rmt-songs. Maybe I'll use RMT in my game after all.

Thanks. I'm glad. :)

Raster, what about CMC + MPT import? even if it's just about the notes like with MOD and TMC?

I like TMC songs and old ProTracker MODules (mainly Amiga songs ;) ), that's why I made import of their formats.

CMC and MPT aren't favourite for me so much - I don't know them more - It would be painful work to make import... :ponder:

Hmm will there be support for samples in RMT I converted some songs but they didn't sound very well. I think when converting samples it could be done easy.

Normal samples in a MOD 8-bit format I think. On the 8-bit samples are normally 4-bit. I think when getting a byte of a sample and use the following code you can convert it to XL format:

LDA #sample-byte-8bit

AND $F0

ROR

ROR

ROR

ROR

STA #sample-byte-4bit

TXG/MNX

Hmm will there be support for samples in RMT I converted some songs but they didn't sound very well.

Hey, you have to adjust all the instruments, their tunings ( :!: ), distortions ( :!: )... :sad:

RMT doesn't recognize if sample is pure tone or chord or drum/percussion or something else...

I think when converting samples it could be done easy.

Yes, but RMT doesn't use any samples at all! :roll:

LDA #sample-byte-8bit

AND $F0

ROR

ROR

ROR

ROR

STA #sample-byte-4bit

Yes, you're right.

But I must say again: RMT doesn't uses samples, but it uses FM instruments... ;)

That .mod import is damn good - I've played with the .mod import on GoatTracker (A similar kind of tool for the C64) but this one blows it away.

I still think it works better if you rebuild a song from scratch (I just tried doing a mod import on freedom.mod and I can't get it to sound anywhere as good as the custom version I did) - just using the .mod as a general guide and built everything according to what works well on the target machine. But I'm sure there's people who will prefer to do it this way and it's great that there's the option.

Anyhoo - here's a quick & dirty .mod conversion I did to see what you can get out of it in around 5 minutes.

amegas.zip

Hmm

Would be cool if RMT has an option to switch between the FM and RAW samples  :D

IMHO this switch for use the RAW samples exist. Here it is -> http://atariarea.histeria.pl/pliki.php?sec=show&id=276

;)

I know this tracker, I still need to build me a covox for it ...

But I like the RMT player routine it's pretty easy to use just like the CMC-composer I used in the past. I am not a musician but RMT is such a cool tool, that I can give to some people I know that can do some little musix. This is why I just asked for this sample option.

TXG/MNX

Anyhoo - here's a quick & dirty .mod conversion I did to see what you can get out of it in around 5 minutes.

I think it is depending on how the samples are used. Maybe as a waveform-replacement, which would make it very easy to convert a MOD.

Or, there are parts in samples, that are not played by note... then you have a problem.

Another problem is the "wider"- range of played notes in one tune with one instrument. Then you have to make a hard workaround.

But, nothing is impossible ;)

Normal samples in a MOD 8-bit format I think. On the 8-bit samples are normally 4-bit. I think when getting a byte of a sample and use the following code you can convert it to XL format:

LDA #sample-byte-8bit

AND $F0

ROR

ROR

ROR

ROR

STA #sample-byte-4bit

TXG/MNX

(don't forget to ORA #$10 afterwards, for volume-only mode)

That was once my first guess. With this method I converted some drum samples and other noises for a sampling program some years ago (22.5 kHz, playable like a keyboard), but the sound is slightly distorted, and can be really annoying, especially in quiet parts of a sample (at the end of a cymbals sample f.e.)

I think there is an other simple mathematical formula to convert it, that should work out better.

In 8 bits a sample value of 128 denotes the zero-amplitude. 0 and 255 are the opposite maxima. So 128-0 = 128 and 255-128=127: Assymetry: 128/127 < 1 %

How is this in 4 bits?

is samplevalue 8 denoting a zero-amplitude, and 0 and 15 opposite maxima? So that 8-0 = 8 and 15-8=7: Assymetry: 8/7 > 10 %

Then you'd have some kind of shift at one end, and you'd have to correct it in the formula by subracting/adding some value before RORring it. Or am I missing some essential understanding here?

-----

mux

So, here is the final "Nazgul" Tune.... Love it or hate it...

Thanks to Raster for that great RMT :)

Question: How many "Voices" do you hear?

The winner with the right answer may get a smile on his face ;)

Well, I prefer nazgul beta 4. There is some part of a melody that's perfect, but you changed it slightly in the final version.

What do you mean by "voices"? Different kinds of instruments? I'd say 6

-----

mux

Well, I prefer nazgul beta 4. There is some part of a melody that's perfect, but you changed it slightly in the final version.

The problem was, that by adjusting the instruments a whole melody was missed in the betas. Now you can hear it. In cause of your opinion I did make a "noise reduction"...

Here is the full zip incl. RMT, SAP, XEX files

The problem was, that by adjusting the instruments a whole melody was missed in the betas. Now you can hear it. In cause of your opinion I did make a "noise reduction"...

Hmm, maybe I'm deaf but I hear no melody in nazgul.. it's almost like random notes for me. Horrible song... And I heard some other song from you and it's the same. Maybe I just don't like your style or I don't know :)

Hmm, maybe I'm deaf but I hear no melody in nazgul.. it's almost like random notes for me. Horrible song... And I heard some other song from you and it's the same. Maybe I just don't like your style or I don't know :)

It's fun for me to read this. Almost every song for the Pokey is made by outpowering even the highest notes in full loudness-levels. Even Grayscale is doing always the same error by creating the voices with similar sounding instruments and without any dynamics in the soundings.

I have to admit NAZGUL is a "heavy meal" , but you have three different melodies (incl. percussions) with different soundings and different dynamics. Only by this, NAZGUL is sounding as NAZGUL has to sound.

The real horrible thing is: 20 years ago, about 25% of all homecomputer-owners would have given "standing ovations" for a song like nazgul. Today there are "20" people talking about "what is possible" and nearly no one knows what's behind it. So every work on the 8-bits is mostly the same as to do nothing.

Hello Raster,

it is great to see, you are still working on RMT. By the way, I love that RMT player for the XL/XE computers. Alas, you always have to type in the name of the RMT song you want to hear. If you want to hear, let`s say 10 (or more) songs, this gets a little awkward. So here are two suggestions:

1) create an auto-player for the XL/XE computers, that will read the directory of a disk and then play all *.RMT songs on that disk (one after another, and restart from the beginning, when the last song has played). maybe it can also have extra options, like pressing START to load/play the next RMT tune, SELECT to change disk or drive (input 1-8 to read new directory of RMT songs) and OPTION to quit to DOS/DUP...

2) create a menu-player for the XL/XE computers, that will read the directory of a disk and then display all RMT files onscreen, so one can choose manually which file to play (without the need to type in a name). return to the menu, when the song has played or when a certain key has been pressed; quit the menu player with something like "ESC", "Control-Q", "Control-X", etc. and read a new disk/directory with something like "SHIFT", or "Space" or "1-8"...

These are just ideas/suggestions. At the moment I have approx. 8-10 RMT songs on one disk, but my collection is growing every week or month, so it would be nice to have an XL/XE player for RMT songs, where you do not need to type in any filenames... anyway, you work was/is great, Raster !!! greetings, andreas magenheimer.

Hello folks,

thanks to Radek (aka Raster) for providing the fabulous Music Tracker with the incredible mod-import function :love:

I had to try out this new feature - and the result has been attached. Enjoy!

Please let me know what you think about this conversion of 'Beams of Light' (mod-file taken from Amiga).

Cheers,

Andre

beams_of.zip

Hello folks,

thanks to Radek (aka Raster) for providing the fabulous Music Tracker with  the incredible mod-import function  :love:  

I had to try out this new feature - and the result has been attached. Enjoy!

Please let me know what you think about this conversion of 'Beams of Light' (mod-file taken from Amiga).

Cheers,

Andre

I think 'beams of light' is one of those tunes that needs a *lot* of modification because of the amount of slides in it.

It reminds me of my sega mastersystem for some reason (not that it's a bad thing)

Where was this tune from originally anyhow - I remember it from being a loader on an Archinedes demo (Riscdream by Armaxess I think)?

anddd.... seeing as I'm now drunk and it's customary to attach music to this thread

wiz.rmt - the title music to win 'n' Liz - converted and hardly modified (just retuned slightly, but still...umm.. wrong in places). Not entirely sure who by originally. The .mod say 'Rik ede' but I'm told by a reliable (albeit drunken :) ) source that Matt Furniss did it.

pissings.rmt - from a cover .mod I did - relies too much on the original instruments and just sounds a bit crappy really. better than the wimpy c64 version i made using the goat tracker import and crappy homemade instruments though

alloyrun.rmt - This one was done by hand. not too bad I thought, just not gotten around to finishing it

random_rmt_files.zip

CharlieChaplin - Atari XE/XL RMT player enhancements:

Yes, It would be fine to improve RMT Atari player, but I haven't time for it now. sorry...

Heaven/TQA - what about midi import???

Hm, please, You can try to use some other midi2mod convertors or for example MODPlugTracker. BTW - MIDI songs uses a lot of voices polyphony and it is complicated to convert it to 4 (or 8 ) voices only.