IGNORED

Turning off the PS2

King Atari

I was "inspired" by some old SNES carts(like SimCity) that had a rather idiotic quit option. When you selected it, it brought the game to a "shutdown" screen. From there, you could do nothing but strike reset or power on the deck, completley eliminating any utility from these screens(and making them rather frustrating if you hit the wrong option).  

That must be where Win95 got the idea, heh.

Actually, one of my biggest pet peeve was back in the mid/late 90s, PCs w/ Win95 but the hardware wasn't software power-downable...I'd come into my company during a weekend and see tons of PCs still running, monitors on, with the orange text on black message "it is now safe to turn off your computer". Duhhr. Way to waste power as well as risk burn-in, that text was an anti-screensaver.

In the brief time I had a PS2 I never left it in standby mode. In fact, if I can help it, I never leave anything in standby mode.

Main reason is it is a HUGE waste of power (acting as a considerable drain on resources, and it is considerable, as well as your electricity bill).

Also, it's just more safe to turn it off. We had a lightning strike near where I live recently. My (£900!!) DVD player was the only thing on standby and it is the only thing that got wasted - and this is in a country where our mains supplies are adequately earthed ;) :D

What I've been doing is taking the disc out, closing the tray, putting it in stand by mode, then flipping the main switch off and unplugging it every time

Overkill. I just turn it off. However, I have my PS2 plugged into a surge protector just in case of lightning strike or something else catastrophic.

I surge protector wont do you a bit of good in the event that the circuit your PS2 (or just about any other device) is on gets struck by lightning. The only true protection that you could get is an isolation power supply. ;)

I was "inspired" by some old SNES carts(like SimCity) that had a rather idiotic quit option. When you selected it, it brought the game to a "shutdown" screen.

That must be where Win95 got the idea, heh.

No actually it was the Apple Macintosh that had the first "shutdown" screen. I'm surprised you didn't know that. Never used a Mac? Anyway, Apple was also the first computer to add an automatic "turn off" option so there was no need to flip an off switch.

Win 95 simply copied the Mac.

No actually it was the Apple Macintosh that had the first "shutdown" screen.  I'm surprised you didn't know that.  Never used a Mac?  Anyway, Apple was also the first computer to add an automatic "turn off" option so there was no need to flip an off switch.

Win 95 simply copied the Mac.

Eh, I've used Macs...but usually in labs, so I'm not sure if I ever shut one down, come to think about it. (And that was around 1992-96 or so, did they have auto-powerdown by then?)

For a PC, the issue is subtler. Consoles (maybe not including the Xbox) just have to worry about a poweroutage innteruping memory card read/writes (and you would think they could install some kind of mini-UPS for those situations...) but an operating system might have all sorts of stuff in memory waiting to be written to disk. I remember begging people to "*exit* Windows" (3.1), don't just turn off the PC.

Okay, guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing then :) .

I'm not a big fan of stand by mode. I can understand how it saves time, but I prefer the PS1/ DC scheme. Open and power, all you need, though a reset button doesn't hurt.

I wish my DC HAD standby.

No more vampiric VMU deaths, and no more lost clock settings because I didn't use it for a month(hey, it happens).

actually guys, rcmodeler has it all wrong. unix systems require the drives to be manually unmounted... you have to init a mode 0 whick sends the kill signal to all open programs, unmounts the file system and then sends the halt signal to the computer. Unix has been around since the 60s. Get your facts right. Oh wait, you were banned before for rambling on like your jesus, go on keep doing it. I will forget what i just said. Yes, apple made shutdown and electrictoy the dildo king is all knowing. Yeesh. :ponder:

why the hate? I had a sony mavica, best digital camera ever... i'm using my ps/2 since like 2001 and never a problem, play dvds like a champ, not a problem... sometimes i left it in stand by others i just unplug the hole thing to play Dreamcast.... please stop bitchin! :P

back the topic, GBA got some games with the 'sleep' option, basically same crap, never used (so far I've seen Metroid Fusion, Zelda LTTP and GBA Mario 3)

back the topic, GBA got some games with the 'sleep' option, basically same crap, never used (so far I've seen Metroid Fusion, Zelda LTTP and GBA Mario 3)

Sleep option is pretty good for the games you get from GBA-GC linkup (as in Animal Crossing etc.). Download it, stick GBA in sleep mode, play Excitebike at work. Nice :)

why the hate? I had a sony mavica, best digital camera ever...

I'm not a Sony hater, but my Aunt's Sony Mavica, floppy disk version, was a piece of crap. Kind of a neat idea, but they had to compress the hell out of those images to fit a decent number on floppy.

Agree in that, but most of the time I used the camera for ebay pictures, nothing better than stick the floppy with the 2-3 pictures and i'm on bussines. I had taken so many good pictures with that camera, specially pictures of stuff moving like fans or cars, cristal :)

Agree in that, but most of the time I used the camera for ebay pictures, nothing better than stick the floppy with the 2-3 pictures and i'm on bussines. I had taken so many good pictures with that camera, specially pictures of stuff moving like fans or cars, cristal :)

Ah, yeah, then it has its place...especially considering how crappy or expensive most other options were back then. I had a few kodak cameras with the serial port cables, and an Olympus that actually had a floppy disk adaptor that let me read my smartmedia card like a floppy...cool, but expensive, and you had to always install software for those ideas to work. These days, a USB cable works pretty seemlessly however.

Of course with my Aunt...she's been treating the floppies as "negatives", I've been trying to get her to put the photos on hard drive before they deteriorate even more...

Why would they put standby on it if it wasn't safe? And who cares if it does get burned out, take it back and get an exchange. I took my Gamecube back over a year after I purchased it an they had no problem giving me a new one. What is all the fuss about?

I'm talking years from now, not just a short time, and I wasn't talking about stand by being not safe, I was asking if how I've been turning it off for awhile is safe.

why the hate? I had a sony mavica, best digital camera ever...

I'm not a Sony hater, but my Aunt's Sony Mavica, floppy disk version, was a piece of crap. Kind of a neat idea, but they had to compress the hell out of those images to fit a decent number on floppy.

Yeah.

I liked Panasonic's PV-SD4090(just looked the model # up) better. Exact same thing, only it had a LS120 drive. 120 megabytes on a 3.5" floppy.

SuperFloppies rule.