IGNORED

"Atari: 80 Classic Games in One " for the pc rocks

NE146

I think that this is a great game. The best part is that we have the opportunity to play games like quadron and Swordquest: Waterworld without having to fiddle with emulators. Plus, I like how it includes the manuals for such games, since they can be quite difficult to find for certain games.

Yeah, it seems like a cool package but the whole thing runs like CRAP on my system.  I would think a 3 gig P4 and a Geforce FX 5900 Ultra would be enough to handle this!  Every game I've tried runs at less than half speed, even at 320x240!  Sigh...

turn off vector luminosity on the vector games, that's noted as to be one of the major hogs on at least those games

gavv

Yeah, it seems like a cool package but the whole thing runs like CRAP on my system.  I would think a 3 gig P4 and a Geforce FX 5900 Ultra would be enough to handle this!  Every game I've tried runs at less than half speed, even at 320x240!  Sigh...

turn off vector luminosity on the vector games, that's noted as to be one of the major hogs on at least those games

gavv

Good idea, but I already tried that. Even the Arcade Warlords runs at like 10 frames a second at 640x480...I can't imagine what the problem is here. I tried the game on my 2nd PC, which is a P3-450 and the games run faster on that box than on my P4. Well, there's always MAME.

gavv

Good idea, but I already tried that. Even the Arcade Warlords runs at like 10 frames a second at 640x480...I can't imagine what the problem is here. I tried the game on my 2nd PC, which is a P3-450 and the games run faster on that box than on my P4. Well, there's always MAME.

hmm.. that is really odd... maybe a driver issue on Nvidias side? who knows.. How does Tempest (arcade style) run? thats the main reason Id like to have that cd;)

AAACK! BigPlayer don't read the customer review of this on Amazon! It will drive you bonkers!   :roll:  

Amazon page

I guess you mean this quote.

I'm ticked they left out 2600 BASKETBALL and Championship Soccer. Double dunk? Never heard of it and it bites.

My only response: Play it on the real hardware and tell me it bites.

Odd... my system is like a 1.4 something gig p4 and it runs it just great. Something must not be setup on your system correctly.

How much RAM do you have?

Odd... my system is like a 1.4 something gig p4 and it runs it just great. Something must not be setup on your system correctly.

How much RAM do you have?

1 gig of DDR 3300. I'm going to try re-installing the game tonight and give it one more try. I have many, many games installed right now and this is the first one I've ever had a problem with on this system.

Well for what it is worth. My system is very similar to yours, but slower and I get perfectly fine speeds. Never had to turn off any features to speed it up either.

You don't happen to have fast find installed on your machine do you?

Again... how much RAM do you have. You'd be surprised how much RAM an emulator can use.

My unanswered questions:

What is the arcade Battlezone interface like?  Can two lever control be implemented?

Yep, it's implemented by default, " ' " and " / " for right tread, A and Z for left tread. You can also set up 2 joysticks to do this, although I haven't tested that.

Can the 2600 BINs be copied off the disc .. so that the one person Combat be executed on the Cuttle Cart?

Again, haven't tried it with a Cuttle Cart (I'll have to do that ASAP!), but all the 2600 ROMs are in the "GamesResourcesAtari 2600ROMs" folder, and 1 player combat appears to be tai01.bin. I ran that file in z26 and it works fine, so I don't see why a Cuttle Cart wouldn't work with it.

Again, haven't tried it with a Cuttle Cart (I'll have to do that ASAP!), but all the 2600 ROMs are in the "GamesResourcesAtari 2600ROMs" folder, and 1 player combat appears to be tai01.bin. I ran that file in z26 and it works fine, so I don't see why a Cuttle Cart wouldn't work with it.

Zach Matley tells me that the one player Combat on the 80 game disc is his Combat AI demo.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Little Known Facts about the 80 Classic Games in one:

There are 85 games featured in the galactic map.

There are 80 games listed in the insert catalog.

There are 71 2600 binaries listed in the Atari2600 CD-ROM directory.

The following 2600 game programs are not listed in the printed 80 game catalog:

Blackjack, Colours, Desert Falcon, Off the Wall, Sound, Sprintmaster, Steeplechase, Combat AI, Tempest.

Colours is a different program than the previous program by the same name. It cycles though the 2600 colors one at a time and displays a binary representation count.

I don't yet have Sound running .. but it is not SoundX.

Rob, you should write up a website explaining all of the inconsistencies in the package.

Naah .. Not worth it. Those are the highlights which suggest there was a difference of vision between marketeers and the programmers.

I do like the package, the interactive design and the way the arcade games are presented/emulated. The constellation names are kinda dumb. The only details that I think are really missing are the dates of release of each of the games. I'm kinda a stickler for history.