IGNORED

Project of the Month 1: A-VCS-Tec Challenge

Cybergoth

Hi there!

So we're kicking off this new feature with a homebrew project nearing completition: Simon Quernhorsts port of Aztek Challenge!

GAME: A-VCS-Tec Challenge

Platform: Atari 2600

Author: Simon Quernhorst

Music: Paul Slocum

Complete: 90%

Most of you have probably already seen the title screen:

actitle.jpg

Or one or the other ingame screenshot:

acgaunt1.jpg

acgaunt2.jpg

But those of you knowing the original Aztek Challenge which Simon is converting here might remember that there was more to it. So Simon lately added this second scene to his port:

acstair1.jpg

acstair2.jpg

(Note: This are WIP shots. The scene isn't finished yet and may still visually change)

The game in its current state is already fully playable:

acgameov.jpg

Simon is very busy finetuning it at the moment, giving it the proper polishing for a soon release.

Visually one of the most beautiful VCS games ever, Pauls excellent port of another trademark SID tune completes this ambitious project, which might even outdo the orginal game.

Greetings,

Manuel

Wow, I was wondering about this. I got excited when it was talked about waaaaaaay back when and was wondering when it would be finished!

The progress looks GREAT! I am very excited!!!!!

any chance it would be ready for, oh I don't know, say a Dec. 15 release? :ponder: :ponder: :D :D :D :D :D

Wow, that's a pretty damn complex xprite, and the 3D is third person scene is something I must absolutely see running on a system. Do the black markers move down and to the sides as the guy runs or is it just static? As they are offset, they could be done using missiles which would allow for smooth scrolling, but they look to be the width of BG pixels, which don't scroll very well.

Anyhow, keep it up, I'd love to see this in action. How bout a rom?

Thanks for all your feedback.

Did you know that the Paul Norman, author of the original "Aztec Challenge", saw the preview-cartridge of my game at Classic Gaming Expo? He dropped me an email and said that he really liked what he saw. He is going to contribute to the limited edition of my game release with something really special, I can promise. :-)

The game does not only contain the converted (and improved) original music. Paul Slocum also created a special GameOver-tune which is very nice, too.

Do the black markers move down and to the sides as the guy runs or is it just static?  As they are offset, they could be done using missiles which would allow for smooth scrolling, but they look to be the width of BG pixels, which don't scroll very well.

The black "spearthrowers" at the sides of the path are made of Playfield-Pixels and are animated in several frames moving towards the player.

They could also have been made of sprite-graphics, allowing a smoother scrolling and more detailed graphics, missiles wouldn't be of big help here. Due to ROM-space I decided to make them as they are now - and as I like the animation this way, they keep unchanged. :)

Best regards,

Simon

Since it is bigger than 6k we can't play it on actual hardware without a cuttle cart.  

Exsqueeze me? :? :? :? :? :?

What's the question? bjk7382 means that the SuperCharger isn't able to handle files larger than 6kb. You can either use the CuttleCart for playing bigger files on a real machine, or use EPROMs.

Simon

Right, but won't the game be released in cart form? :?  :?

Of course it will! A special edition of 55 copies (incl. Box, Soundtrack-CD, etc.) will be released at first. Afterwards an unlimited release (cart and manual) will be available...

bjk7382 was talking about testing the ROM-file, which is not going to be released before I regard the game as finished.

Simon

Yes: "as soon as possible". :D

I'm currently finishing the Special Edition for the new C=64 game "Metal Warrior 4". This game went ON SALE today - http://www.quernhorst.de/atari/

I try to finish "A-VCS-tec Challenge" in the upcoming christmas-holidays. I wanted to finish this project much earlier, but building a house really limits your spare-time, I can tell you...

Simon

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there!

Any updates to report or a release date???!! :ponder:  :ponder:  :ponder:  :ponder:

Hm... not from me at the moment...

And what is the Project of the Month for Jan?

Ooops. So many exiting things going on at the moment, I simply forgot about it... :o

I think I already had Dennis agreeing for featuring C5 in january. Maybe. Watch this space in 1 or 2 days... :)

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi,

I'm back from my christmas holidays and unfortunately I've been too busy with other things, so I wasn't able to improve or even finish A-VCS-tec Challenge.

It's not too much to be done anymore, but the other things are of more importance right now (did I tell that building a house consumes *MUCH* time?). I plan to continue coding on next friday's night. Hopefully nothing crosses this plan... :-)

Wow! Outstanding job!! Man, I used to play this game on my C64 for hours! Can't wait to hear the music!! :D  

OK, sow how long till we see Forbidden Forest?  :)

Thank you. I can promise that the music is really cool. Paul Slocum did a great job on the conversion (and improvement). There is also a second music in the VCS-version for the Game Over sequence.

Best regards,

Simon

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I finally managed to dedicate some more time to the development of A-VCS-tec Challenge. Some more bugs have been fixed and the switching between the two level types GAUNTLET and STAIRS works fine now.

There is also sound-effect for the falling stones now and the amount of stones is randomized.

The following things still have to be done:

- bonus points for lives after each level

- increasing difficulty on STAIRS levels

- fine tuning of levels (lengths, colors, speed)

There will be a preview cartridge at the AtariAge booth at PhillyClassic 5 - so check it out there and get an impression of the game.

Simon