IGNORED

Star Fire Elite Squadron!

Albert

OK Thomas,

Are you playing a PAL version of Starfire?

I know my PAL games play much slower because of the 50hz vs 60hz refresh rate, as a result, I could see that some games might be easier to play in PAL format. Not to take away anythign from you and your accomplishment :D

This reminds, I should try a PAL version of Kaboom! sometime ;)

Regards,

-Lee

Hi there!

My opinion on the game? Very very nice. :) As an arcade conversion.. of course it's different, but in an awesome way and by that I mean it improves and adds things to make it more fun!

Wow! It is quite an honor to hear that from an arcade expert like you!

I was only slightly dissapointed by the shots which were reminiscent of the "difficulty B-Photon Torpedos" setting of Star Voyager. I was expecting the lasers of the arcade or at least the lasers of "difficulty A" Star Voyager ;).  Also no Lock-On like the arcade (which actually is what enamoured me with the game as a kid since it was reminiscent of the lock on that occurs on the Millenium Falcon :lol:). But I guess it would have thrown off the pace and gameplay of this particular game.

I tried other hings for the lasers, for example I had tried to do them with the playfield, but it looked very ugly and blocky. Also I had bigger and more laser like sprites in early stages of the project, but they added a lot of flicker. Same for the tracking aid. I could've done it, but only at the cost of more severe flicker on everything. I also tried to add in other things like a meteor swarm scene for example, but like many other ideas it didn't work out in the end.

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

Are you playing a PAL version of Starfire?

Yup. But I don't know if it is PAL-60 or PAL-50. Manuel?

It is PAL50. Still the difference isn't that severe I think, as you should consider that not only the movements are on 50Hz for PAL, but the Joystick reading also.

Greetings,

Manuel

Uihja. A little more effort and you have mastered it, as the game shouldn't get any more difficult after wave 20 :)

The problem are waves 4*n. There are too many fighters for evasive manouvres. Even if I start with 5 or 6 lives, there are situations where I die within just a few seconds. You have to take the fighters individually then, because you can't evade the shots and have to shot those too. This doesn't work with more than one fighter attacking you simultaniously.

If I survive that wave, I can rebuild my shields during the next waves.

And an awesome score it is. My personal best was ~ 4500.

I would tell you the trick if you insist. :)

Well, I finally broke the 3,500pt barrier!!

Even though I've managed to achieve this, I ain't done playing because I want to see if I can break the 5,000pt barrier and even catch Thomas... well, at least the first one is doable :D

Fantastic game and Thanks to everyone involved in putting this whole thing together!!

Mendon

post-3103-1078015692_thumb.jpg

My cart arrived today.

I'v got a few brews and snacks and I'm making a night of it ;)

I didn't keep track of scores for my first game but I did switch difficulties after 3500

Heres my first score.

When I finish for the night I'll send my highest score in for a patch :D

And Thanks for a really great game Manuel.

post-2352-1078217695_thumb.jpg

Actually I'v been progressivly getting worse.

I predict that by tommorow morning I'll barly be able to get past wave 1 :P

Take a break!

I got my highscores within the first ~10 games, after that I was getting worse too.

And before you attack the highscore, do some training by starting at wave 9.

Even though I've managed to achieve this, I ain't done playing because I want to see if I can break the 5,000pt barrier and even catch Thomas... well, at least the first one is doable  :D

Don't forget to post your progress here.

I was going to do it as I was keeping track of each wave... but in the mess on my desk I cannot find my note sheets...GRRRRRR.

Anyway, I'm continuing to play to see if I can break 4,000pts then 5,000pts. I bought a pocket notebook and it sits right next to my machine. I'm keeping track now and as soon as I get a better score than what I posted I'll include my wave scores.

On the one hand, I think seeing these wave scores is interesting, informative, and cool. On the other I have to question my sanity as to what I'm doing by recording all these scores.... after all, its only a game isn't it???????? :D

Mendon

I'm currently dancing around to the Starfire theme music because I just broke 3500. WOOHOO!!!! I nearly killed my Wico Command Controll in the process and in the last round I was just shooting like a mad man but I finally did it! I probably have the lowest score at 3525 but I'm just happy that now I can finally concentrate on my college work LOL....

I'll take one patch please!

-Tim

post-4516-1078292979_thumb.jpg

...and in the last round I was just shooting like a mad man...

That's your mistake!

Yeah I know. I was going good on my strategy until wave 8 when I got distracted by the phone and got hit 5 times in like 3 seconds. However, after wave 8 I only needed to shoot 2 or 3 more ships to break the 3500 mark so I just went into wave 9 blazin'. I am quite proud that I never toggled the difficulty switch once, I had it set on the harder setting the whole time :)

And sorry about that huge pic I had posted before It showed up regular sized when I downloaded it from the camera and I did not relize it was that huge until this morning. The new size is much better.

Tim

Yeah I know. I was going good on my strategy until wave 8 when I got distracted by the phone and got hit 5 times in like 3 seconds. However,  after wave 8 I only needed to shoot 2 or 3 more ships to break the 3500 mark so I just went into wave 9 blazin'. I am quite proud that I never toggled the difficulty switch once, I had it set on the harder setting the whole time   :)

For further progress you should start training starting at wave 9. You will soon find out how to adapt your tactics there.

And sorry about that huge pic I had posted before It showed up regular sized when I downloaded it from the camera and I did not relize it was that huge until this morning. The new size is much better.

No problem for me. I was at work anyway. :)

Received my Star Fire patch and letter today!! EXCELLENT job by Lori and all involved with this. And a BIG Thank You to the Al's for the quick shipping and excellent packaging of it. It arrived in perfect condition!!

This entire Star Fire adventure has been incredible... from the awesome game to the patch & letter to AA for making it available... everyone should really be proud of the incredible work that they have done.

Thanks again to everyone involved with Star Fire!!

Mendon