IGNORED

Star Fire Elite Squadron!

Albert

The patches are only available to those who purchased the game, sorry.  Now, if you bought the game but played it on your Cuttle Cart and took a picture of your television, I would have no way of knowing.  :)

:idea: Add a picture with you holding the cart.

If you're holding the cart, you'll have a hard time taking a picture of the screen showing your score. And even if you take a second picture with the cart in hand, you still could have played using a Cuttle Cart. If you mean this to verify that the person owns the cart, we have records of everyone who's purchased one through the store. If I'm unsure, I can always ask them to identify something from the manual. :)

..Al

If you're holding the cart, you'll have a hard time taking a picture of the screen showing your score.  And even if you take a second picture with the cart in hand, you still could have played using a Cuttle Cart.

That shouldn't be a problem as long as you also own the game.

If you mean this to verify that the person owns the cart, we have records of everyone who's purchased one through the store.  If I'm unsure, I can always ask them to identify something from the manual.  :)

Aren't the manual scans online?

If you mean this to verify that the person owns the cart, we have records of everyone who's purchased one through the store.  If I'm unsure, I can always ask them to identify something from the manual.  :)

Aren't the manual scans online?

Many of the homebrews in the database, such as Star Fire, do not have scans of the manuals. When we decide how we want to handle all the differing versions of homebrew games that are out there, then we can tackle the manuals. But in the context of this discussion, there's no printed Star Fire manual online that people could look at to reference. The HTML manual is available, however.

..Al

Yes, and as I recall, there are subtle (trivial) differences to the HTML manual and the one that got printed (just the odd word, small story detail etc.).

Hey, I can answer questions on the manual! Can I have a patch? :D

Yes, and as I recall, there are subtle (trivial) differences to the HTML manual and the one that got printed (just the odd word, small story detail etc.).

To say nothing of all your beautiful illustrations in the printed manual. :)

Hey, I can answer questions on the manual! Can I have a patch? :D

You're already getting a patch! :D

..Al

I'm curious -

Could those of you who've already scored at least 3500 chime in with what controller you used while playing? I seem to have hit a brick wall at approx. 2300 points, and while I don't think my controller is causing me any problems, I'm beginning to wonder if it might be worthwhile to try a different one.

SO what did you guys use?

Of course, difficulty A. I haven't tried B ( and don't expect to).

I'm using a Wico Command Control bat-style. I think I'm getting stuck on wave 7, maybe 8.

It's a wave where the Ties are almost immediately right on top of you, and there isn't time to scroll the incoming fire off the screen.

I think I'll try a CX-40, see what happens.

OK - the ship is the Slave ship. I scored 2470, this last time - I think that's my high score so far.

I've been following the tips somebody (you, I think) posted previously - mainly, don't bother chasing down the fighters, and warp as soon as possible. It definitely boosted my scores from before, but maybe ignoring the majority of the fighters explains my low score going into wave 8?

Many copies of Star Fire were sold in December and early January, but I haven't received any new high scores in several weeks.  I'm disappointed!  All these patches just sitting here, unloved, waiting to be claimed...  

:)

..Al

Can I get a patch if I play it on a Cuttle?

The patches are only available to those who purchased the game, sorry. Now, if you bought the game but played it on your Cuttle Cart and took a picture of your television, I would have no way of knowing. :)

..Al

Well, my order for this game just went thru. Cant wait! The manual looks pretty cool! Me want patch. Me want patch!! Very cool thing you all are doing here.

By the way, Al, There are 17 patch receipients. If you dont mind my asking, have you sold 50 carts yet? (If you do mind my asking, just PM me and say that its none of my business)

Worse yet, if I missed somewhere that you did state how many have been sold - give me a virtual slap on the back of my head. :)

Buck

Well, I have spent the last coupla hours getting crushed on wave 7. My best so far was 2500 (and some odd points) I will get this patch!!! But my hand is crampped up now, too.

This game is a great port. Very similar in game play to the arcade if I remember correctly. Then again, I was a wee lad and my father used that game as a babysitter while he was bowling. It was great, tho. It was the only time that i could get him to fess up that many quarters in one evening.

"Dad, I need some more money..."

"What?!?! I just gave you some!"

"I know, I spent it."

"Hold on, I'm up. Just sit still"

"Dad can we go now? Dad can we go now? Dad can we go now? Dad can we go now? Dad can we go now? Dad can we go now? Dad can we go now? Dad can we go now? Dad can we go now? Dad can we go now? Dad can we go now?"

"Allright, Allright, here's some more money - go play."

"Thanks, Dad"

Ten minutes later...

"Dad, I need some more money"

Poor man. :D

Thanks, Manual for giving me an opportunity to play this awesome game again!

Buck

By the way, Al, There are 17 patch receipients.  If you dont mind my asking, have you sold 50 carts yet?  (If you do mind my asking, just PM me and say that its none of my business)

Yes, well over 50 copies of Star Fire are now floating around out there. I imagine most of those who've purchased Star Fire are aware of the cool patch, but I can't expect everyone to either be interested in it, get past 3500 points, or make the effort to take a picture (and send it in) once they've done so.

I predict that once the number of patches awarded reaches 40, there will be a mad scramble for the last 10. :)

..Al

Well, I vowed to not reply again until I made 3500, and despite putting in a lot of time over the weekend, I haven't made it yet.

I have tried several different joysticks (CX-40, Spectravideo QuickShot, Pointmaster, Wico Command Control, and a Genesis joypad), and my hand has cramped up a lot, but my best score as of about 1:30am (last night) was a little over 2900. I don't think I've ever survived Wave 8.

I hope the rest of you are as bad at this as I am; I want to be one of the guys with the patch!

I have tried several different joysticks (CX-40, Spectravideo QuickShot, Pointmaster, Wico Command Control, and a Genesis joypad), and my hand has cramped up a lot, but my best score as of about 1:30am (last night) was a little over 2900. I don't think I've ever survived Wave 8.

I used an Epyx joystick to attain 3,500 points. And yes, my hand was a bit sore when I was done. I think it took me an hour or two of straight playing to reach that score.

..Al

I've been following the tips somebody (you, I think) posted previously - mainly, don't bother chasing down the fighters, and warp as soon as possible. It definitely boosted my scores from before, but maybe ignoring the majority of the fighters explains my low score going into wave 8?

Yes, you definitely want to shoot as many fighters as you can in each wave for maxium points. Also hit all the bonus items, such as the diamonds--even if you don't need repairs. You get points for shooting enemy fire, so go for that as well. I don't warp until I've shot every fighter down.

The big thing is to make every shot count. Your laser should be near overheating most of the time.

And Albert is right, this game can be murder on your hands. I would play a round of Euchre in-between long sessions of Starfire to rest my hands.

Good luck!