IGNORED

are you a monogamous collector?

tyranthraxus

My saga begins in 1988.

All the kids are bringing lcd games to school so I get Donky Kong for christmas.

The next year a friend invites me over to play Atari. I'm hooked. And

I want the latest. I beging bugging my mother for a NES.

meanwhile I make frinds with another kid who has a basement dedicated

to NES. Pretty much owned every game released. I spent a lot of time there

before they moved out of town.

when I finaly open that NES shaped birthday present all my friends own SNES's.

Then a freind of the family decides to upgrade their C=64 computer to

a 486. We buy it and all the many, many games (the basis of my habit)

a few years latter it's sold (along with all the games :( ) to be upgraded to an intel

Years pass, my Nes gets a few more games at random intervals and I

play mostly pirated P.C games.

Then it happened.

I walked into a thrift store and there was a C=64 with a few games for $1

each item. Finally I can own my own computer and find all those great

games I remembered.

Most of the cartridges where Atari 2600 games (dun dun duuun)

I searched for an Atari. After that for a Snes.

And that is pretty much the reason why I'm buried under a mountain of systems and games. :D

If it's game related and the price is right I buy it. I have NES, SNES, N64, PS1, GB, GB color, VB, 2600, 5200, 7800, Genesis, Sega CD, Nomad, Colecovision, Intelevision, Dreamcast, Odyssey, a bunch of Pong systems, books, magazines, lunch boxes, posters, signs, table top mini arcades, old handhelds, over 100 full size arcade machines, pinball machines, jukeboxes, etc, etc, etc.

I collect for most cartridge-based classic game systems and computers, right up to (but not including) the NES. I have been meaning to start collecting for the NES for some time now, but just haven't gotten around to it. If someone has lots of common NES carts, I'd be glad to do a cross-platform trade.

Off the top of my head, I have games (in some cases complete collections) for: Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Lynx, Jaguar, Odyssey 2, Vectrex, Intellivision, Commodore 64, Vic-20, TI 99/4a, Atari 8-bit, Video Brain, RCA Studio II, Bally Astrocade, TurboGrafx-16, Sega Master System, Dreamcast (yeah yeah, not classic!), IBM PC Jr., and several others I know I am forgetting. One system I haven't gone anywhere near is the Neo*Geo, due to the extreme cost in collecting for it. :)

..Al

I collect for most cartridge-based classic game systems and computers, right up to (but not including) the NES.  I have been meaning to start collecting for the NES for some time now, but just haven't gotten around to it.  If someone has lots of common NES carts, I'd be glad to do a cross-platform trade.  

Off the top of my head, I have games (in some cases complete collections) for: Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Lynx, Jaguar, Odyssey 2, Vectrex, Intellivision, Commodore 64, Vic-20, TI 99/4a, Atari 8-bit, Video Brain, RCA Studio II, Bally Astrocade, TurboGrafx-16, Sega Master System, Dreamcast (yeah yeah, not classic!), IBM PC Jr., and several others I know I am forgetting.  One system I haven't gone anywhere near is the Neo*Geo, due to the extreme cost in collecting for it.  :)

..Al

While not necessarily a classic system (yet) you should consider acquiring a complete NUON collection now while the games and hardware are still readily available. For those who don't know, the NUON is sometimes considered as the unofficial spiritual successor to the Atari Jaguar.

Less than ten officially released games exist, and aside from two titles (IS3 and Next Tetris), most are easy and cheaply obtained. After some perseverence, I was able to acquire every release title for the NUON and to this day, it remains the only platform in my collection that is truly complete!

My advice, skip the Neo Geo for now. The system is enjoying some sort of a renaissance right now and prices are increasing, plus I generally found the Neo Geo scene to be a hassle with lots of dishonest sellers and the constant threat of bootleg carts.

You know, it's funny. This mont's Classic GI in Game Informer is about SNK and the Neo Geo. They have a picture of an SNES cart next to a Neo Geo cart and the size difference is so much.

I thought to myself, "Damn.. I gotta get me at least ONE Neo Geo game. Not a system necessarily, JUST a game! JUST to make people gawk at its sheer size."

I'd probably carry it around and bring it out at parties just as a conversation starter. ;) :lol:

I started out on the 2600 but I assure all that monogamy is overrated - I now collect for all systems listed at left.

Tyranthraxus - I see you are in Vancouver too - had any luck lately in the search?

They should be good for someone, I've been virtually ignoring the thrifts

for 6 months, just to give you other guys a chance ;) The last 'find' I had

was one I passed up. A boxed ADAM computer in the VV on Victoria.

I think they wanted some $90 for it. But the thing is too HUGE for my tiny

apartment. And I am an avid CV collector so it was a hard choice. I'm

not in a collecting stage right now more of a refining. I'm doing the odd

trade and selling off stuff to clear out the dust collectors. Are you a

member of the new Canadian collector website?

tyranthraxus wrote:

I'm doing the odd  

Let me know if you have anything interesting to unload. FYI I found 'A to Z Videogames' on Broadway the other day and they have an intersting hodgepodge of older stuff.

I'm not familiar with the Canadian collector website - whats the URL? thx

If it's something that can be found at garage sales or thrift shops, I probably have it. I could do a list of all classic consoles I have but a shorter list of what I *don't* have is easier:

Oddysey (original)

Fairchild Channel F

Coleco Telegames

Astrocade

Adventurevision

Microvision

CDi

3DO

Neo Geo

NGP and NGPC (didn't get it, was pulled from the shelf before I knew SNK recalled unsold stock)

(only modern console I don't have is XBox)

It wasn't really a store, but today my cousin let me have whatever was left of his old game collection. Some SNES and N64 boxes, a couple manuals and two SNES and a GB game. Madden '94 and Izzy's Quest for SNES and Madden '95 for GB. I already have Madden '94, so that's on my Trade list. And some of the boxes I had games for so I could help complete them. Most don't so they're on the shelf with the other boxes.

He had traded in his DC stuff to get his PS2, but said if he finds any of the SNES/N64 stuff, he'd let me have it. IF. Who knows where it would be. Probably gone. What he did have was sitting for a long time and had a layer of dust on it.

Well let's take look see. I started with coin ops, but quickly ran out of room. With real estate space short as well as the wifes tollerance, lately I have been stuck with the favorites.

In order to keep the obsession going I had to switch to the smaller consoles. I started on the 2600, but as I went on I quickly remembered all of the great games I played on systems I didn't have but friends did. After that, BAM, Atari, Commodore, Intellivision, Coleco, Fairchild, Sega, Nintendo. PC, Console, Handheld, Boardgame it did not matter and it still does not. I love it all and always will.

I'm not sure when this obsession will end, but I will ride it until it does. I go thru collecting phases: Action figures, Depression Glass (Don't ask), Comic books, Comic cards/statues, Coin Ops, and now anything and everything classic gaming. If I was snobbish enough I would have passed on many a great deal, but luckily I'm not a game/company racist.

Shoot, it's been great so far. I know I have hidden in the woodworks mostly and don't post much or show up at any of the big conventions. I just want to thank you ALL for helping me cope with this grand and historical and not to mention WHAT A FUCKING BLAST hobby this is.

Halleluiah, Holy Shit Where's the Tylenol?

I have to...

What?[/quote

Well, it's simply what is stated. Depression Glass. Set's of plates, glasses, shakers, creamers, pitchers put out during the Great Depression. My grandmother took me to a antique store and I saw a piece (a platter known as Cherry Blossem) and I just wanted it. From there on I wanted I wanted many, many more. Many of these were included with purchase of items such as Oats, Cereals, Sugars etc... They all had different patterns of design and once all were collected made a place sets for holiday dinners and such. Do a Google search and I'm sure you will find hundreds of listings. They are still beautiful and I still look for them. :D

I have to...

What?[/quote

Well' date= it's simply what is stated. Depression Glass. Set's of plates, glasses, shakers, creamers, pitchers put out during the Great Depression. My grandmother took me to a antique store and I saw a piece (a platter known as Cherry Blossem) and I just wanted it. From there on I wanted I wanted many, many more. Many of these were included with purchase of items such as Oats, Cereals, Sugars etc... They all had different patterns of design and once all were collected made a place sets for holiday dinners and such. Do a Google search and I'm sure you will find hundreds of listings. They are still beautiful and I still look for them. :D[/quote]

Interesting. Must see pictures. :D

tyranthraxus wrote:
I'm doing the odd  

Let me know if you have anything interesting to unload. FYI I found 'A to Z Videogames' on Broadway the other day and they have an intersting hodgepodge of older stuff.

I'm not familiar with the Canadian collector website - whats the URL? thx

http://www.cgcc.ca/

A-Z is a few blocks from my apartment. Funny store. The guy running it

is super creepy and refuses to haggle on his often ridiculous prices. No

wonder most of his store is full of NES games, he still prices them like

its 1988!

tyranthraxus - thanks for the link - I had not heard of CGCC but I am now registered so see you on line.

i agree the guy at A to Z is a bit weird and things are overpriced but he has an ok selection of games and lots of controllers and I figure he does have rent to pay so you can't really expect flea market prices. Its slim pickins out there so we have go to take whatever we can get. Do you have any suggestions for places to find classic games? thx

I buy stuff for whatever I can get my hands on.  In fact at the moment I have a few Saturn and 7800 games even though I don't have either system yet.  I fI see it cheap in the thrift or a garage sale, I pick it up.

lol. I'm in the same boat. I still need to locate a Saturn so I can play the

game I got for it last summer at a community flea market. (I went in

with 60 bucks, came out with 3 bags of systems and carts. :D )

Realized we have pawn shops and the like in town just the other day as

well soooo.... well, I'm hitting the shops tomorrow morning. :)

angusjake and tyranthraxus : I'm up the coast in Powell River, but everytime I go to Vancouver (its been a while, but I used to go 4 or 5 times a year) I always hit the value villages and such. I seem to remember a very seedy shop on East Broadway, it might have been A to Z that you are both refering to. He had games, mostly (all?) behind glass in cabinets like a jewellry store would. When I saw his prices, I laughed and left.

I'm pretty sure this guy

http://cgi6.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewS...5&since=-1&rd=1

is still hitting all the thrifts and scoring all the goods in the Vancouver area.

He used to post on r.g.v.c and he might be a atariage member too

Yes thats A-Z in East Van alright. I wonder how he makes rent, stock

rarely changes and when I go I am the only person there.

I've met that Spud guy. He's a pretty good guy. Gave me a nice deal

on a 5200 system & games. If there is something you want I'd e-mail

him and see what he says. His off ebay prices are better than what you'd

he asks on ebay. He must have friends at VV or something. His house

was overflowing with stuff & ready to mail packages and I only saw the

kitchen/living room area. God knows what his basement was like!

I think his story was that he and his wife used to collect and now are

ebay dealers. He's got a lot of stuff but I didn't get the impression that

he had much passion. He knew what people collect and whats rare but

didn't know the details, at least that was true about his 5200 stuff.

Vancouver is so spread out that unless you want to waste all day fighting

traffic you're best to pick one or two thrifts and haunt them. Its been a

long time since I did that but when I did I would visit weekly sometime

2 or 3 times in my more manic stages and stuff pops up. Commodore,

Atari 2600, 5200, 7800 & computers, CV, INTV & TRS all showed up.

The one constant was that the selection of games sucked. Maybe I was

always getting beat but I think they weren't making it out of the

backroom. Either that or 1980s parents in Vancouver like to buy their

kids consoles but not games. :ponder:

If you guys are looking to buy or trade feel free to PM me. Otherwise cya

on the ccgc site. Its got a decent message board of its own.