IGNORED

I ordered a Jaguar a couple of days ago...

Silver Surfer

I just wanted to tell you

I am so so so so so so happy

If any one is interested I ordered it from www.game.uk.com

Now some questions: Do I need to buy the cd kit or is it equipped with that? If not where do I buy it from? Which are the best games? Where do I buy games? The Jaguar I have bought from england should be PAL, is it?

[ 02-09-2002: Message edited by: Danzig ]

Thats great to hear that you are getting your first Jaguar, I have three of them and you will love your too.

1) my three did not come with the CD player, I had to buy them and I got them off of Ebay for about $80 U.S. each.

2) As far as which games to get, I am trying to buy them all because there are not alot of them out there as compared to the 2600 system. (I kind of like Myst, Dragonslayer, Highlander and Bruce lee just to name a few).

3) As far as I have read, all Jaguar systems are made on the same formatte so you can buy games and all the extras any place you can find them.

The cd units are rare and that is what causes them to be expensive. Atari released them in Sept./Oct. of '95, about 5 or 6 months later, Atari as we knew it was no more. The last cartridge, which was either Fight for Life or Defender2000 (I forget which) was released in Feb./March of '96 and then they started licensing out to Telegames.

The Jaguar on the other hand had about a million units made (maybe not quite that many) and only sold around 150,000 of them by the time the end came...

Really, many people think tht the Jagcd should never have been released due to the small installed user base, and just concentrate on getting games out on cartridge, shelving the cd unit indefinately. But I'm glad it came out, even if it only has 14 titles (including the built-in VLM) I like most of them and that's probably as many as would have come out on cartridge before Atari went under, had they shelved the cd unit.

The last cartridge, which was either Fight for Life or Defender2000 (I forget which) was released in Feb./March of '96 and then they started licensing out to Telegames.  The Jaguar on the other hand had about a million units made (maybe not quite that many) and only sold around 150,000 of them by the time the end came...

Ironically, the last Jaguar game released by Atari was Fight For Life. Of course by the time that Fight For Life was the Jaguar's life span was quite finished. The game was released half-finished, and Atari quietly dropped the system.

People inside Atari probably knew that it was coming, as the person that they hired to head up the marketing less than a year before the end suddenly quit and wouldn't expand on why he would no longer work for Atari. He had been the mastermind behind the Sega Genesis ad compaigns, and had begun to have success with the Jaguar before he quit.

As for actual console numbers, no one is really sure. A lot of sources that I have state that 150,000 were sold in the first year, with over 500,000 being sold total. Other reports give the final number at around 150,000, but personally that doesn't seem nearly high enough for the amount of exposure the system had at the very start.

dan