IGNORED

N64 Games Becoming Classics?

A2600

My defnition of "classic" for video games is anything that's 15 years older or more.  The N64 is NOT a classic system in my opinion.

I'll have to agree with Kepone that the N64 is too "young" to be considered a classic...yet, but maybe in 6 more years it will feel more like a "classic" system (imagine a kid in 2010 looking for cheap games in a pile of used stuff then finding a N64 and saying "hey this is the system I read about that still used cartridges!").

If you ask me I would hold to both Zeldas (OoT and MM), those two are sure to be considered "classic" games for the N64 in the future IMO.

Now if you have some extra dough to sink just for the sake of it (and space available) it won't hurt either for your N64 collection to include Mario64, Banjo Kazooie, SW Rogue Squadron, SW Naboo Fighter, Goldeneye, Mario Kart64 and WaveRace. Take or give a couple of other games out there that might be interesting for your personal taste in gaming but either way it will be hard to find over 10 games that you really enjoy for this system.

Going by this way of thinking no one should care about any consoles/games exept for the newest most graphicaly powerful consoles/games...
Ive been playing Wind Waker and tried out Majora's Mask awhile back, BUT wait! Majors Mask was before Wind Waker! It should be thrown into the gaming vaults never to be played again! :roll:  :D

(rolls eyes)

I REPEAT:

First off, you guys forgot that I said: However, the "unique" games like Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie and Paper Mario and Ocarina of Time will become classics that never die, and I'm sure we'll see ports of these games to the Gameboy 3D around ~2010.

Second, aren't you guys getting just a little... overly excited? I was merely expressing my opinion that F-zero X has been replaced by F-zero GX... similar to how Gran Turismo 2 was replaced by the far more advanced (but essentially the same game) GT3... or how Madden 2000 was replaced with Madden 2004.

That is all.

Calm down.

:D

Yeah I myself Im dying to get back into my N64, when I go to Puerto Rico this summer I'll go get my N64, and again be playing some EtremeG, Waverace, Mario 64, Ocarina, Majoras, Pilowings64!!

To me I never paid too much attention to my N64 untill now!! I played with my SNES untill 1998 when I got the N64 and not untill 2002 when I got the PS2 and dropped it in 2003 for an XBOX!!

The N64 is gonna have to wait a little longer to be a classic in my opinion. Id say sooner than 2010. The thing that plays against it is that the controllers are kind of flimsy and easily break. Althouh a one time I hated it I now kind of admire the xbox controller for the mere fact that it will grow old with us collectors.

There's nothing wrong with the N64. It is a great system and all.

It's just that it's still too new in my opinion to be considered a classic. I think the NES is closing in on classic status and the SuperNES is not too far behind.

That might be TRUE I might just be rushing the N64, its only the generation before the current 128-Bit so it is realtively new!!

Second, aren't you guys getting just a little... overly excited?  I was merely expressing my opinion that F-zero X has been replaced by F-zero GX... similar to how Gran Turismo 2 was replaced by the far more advanced (but essentially the same game) GT3... or how Madden 2000 was replaced with Madden 2004.

That is all.

Calm down.

C'mon, knock off with the "calm downs". Didn't you see the smilies? Just be happy you've inspired some decent (and not THAT heated) conversation.

The "definition of classic" rocked the Usenet group rec.games.video.classic for ever, but mostly because the charter mentions somethign like "atari, intellivision, etc"), and the question is should it mean before the crash of '84 (since when the group was made, those were the only systems old enough to be "classic") or just any system that has become 'classic' in the meanwhile.